Defensive Concepts Level 1 Riley Conservation Club

Defensive Handgun Concepts Level 1
    Where: Riley Conservation Club
    When: Sunday September 11, 2016 10 am to 2 pm
    Cost: $100
    Instructor: BehindBlueI’s
    Assisted by: Coach (Aron Bright)
    To receive registration forms: abright@ccrtc.com
    Your spot in the class is held when the form and PIF is received.Class limited to the first Fifteen students.

Before you sign up for a class please be sure that you can attend the class. If you do not show up for the class there will not be a refund. If you ask for a refund thirty days prior to the class a full refund will be granted. Less than thirty days prior to a class a refund will only be given if your spot is filled. This policy is meant to be fair to all clients and BFT.

Requirements:
    The ability to safely operate a handgun is required and is not negotiable.
    Basic marksmanship. This is not a fundamentals class. To get the most out of this class you should be able to draw and keep shots on an USPSA/IDPA target at 7 yards. The closer to the center the better.

Gear requirements:
    Carry how you normally carry.

A belt mounted holster. Strong side IWB or OWB is encouraged. (AIWB is acceptable)
    A concealment garment.
    Eye and ear protection.
    Handgun, 2-3 magazines
    Round count will likely be 100-200 for the day.

Goals:
    Learn the most common precursors to “random” violence based onsurvivor’s statements.
    Learn how to react to these precursors to maximize your odds of prevailing should the situation escalate, based on interviews and crime scene analysis.
    Work through scenarios based on actual crime scenes. What the actual person involved did, what worked, and what didn’t will be discussed.
    Scenarios and associated lectures will be provided by INGO userBehindBlueI’s. BBI has 10 years of law enforcement experience, 3 years asa Robbery/Aggravated Assault detective in a Homicide & Robbery unit, and has been involved in the investigation of hundreds of shootings, stabbings, and robberies.

Handgun fundamentals, efficiency of draw stroke, shooting skill feedback provided by Coach.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Last time this will be offered this year and the last time before the level 2 comes out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This class will provide the client with some real world scenarios that have happened and the outcome is known. There is not coulda, woulda, shoulda. The client is left o draw his or her own conclusions about what could have made it come out differently. BBI can offer local, real world experience from his case files. It is worth your time. You might leave with some myths busted. Perhaps a new found love and respect for revolvers... :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Folks,

I'd just like to point out that this class and the one I will be teaching with Defensive Shooting Concepts are not the same. While there is a bit of overlap, the focus is completely different and what you'll get from each is worthwhile. A few people have asked me if they should take them in a particular order, and the answer is no. This course will focus more on body language indicators and will let you see how real incidents went down. It gives you a chance to learn from the successes and failures of others. You get to see video of a real gun fight during a robbery and you'll get to go through it as you note body language indicators for different stages of a violent encounter.

This class is as "real world" as I can make it, a chance for you to see what matters and what doesn't when the chips are down in a non-targeted (ie target of opportunity) street crime.

I hope to see you there,

-BBI

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Folks,

I'd just like to point out that this class and the one I will be teaching with Defensive Shooting Concepts are not the same. While there is a bit of overlap, the focus is completely different and what you'll get from each is worthwhile. A few people have asked me if they should take them in a particular order, and the answer is no. This course will focus more on body language indicators and will let you see how real incidents went down. It gives you a chance to learn from the successes and failures of others. You get to see video of a real gun fight during a robbery and you'll get to go through it as you note body language indicators for different stages of a violent encounter.

This class is as "real world" as I can make it, a chance for you to see what matters and what doesn't when the chips are down in a non-targeted (ie target of opportunity) street crime.

I hope to see you there,

-BBI

Will you have video?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As bad as I did at a steel shoot this year, I will need to get better. Not sure if I can draw and keep shots on target at 7 yards under stress.:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As bad as I did at a steel shoot this year, I will need to get better. Not sure if I can draw and keep shots on target at 7 yards under stress.:)

Better to find out against simulated bad guys... ;)

That's why we train and why we practice.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    None of us are good enough to sit back and relax and rest on past accomplishments. Shooting skills are perishable skills. I think many other skills that are important for defending oneself are perishable as well.

The point of keeping hits on the target in the description is that this class is not the place to learn how to shoot. We can do some fine tuning and make observations but we do other classes to teach shooting. This class is about seeing the fight coming, knowing what has worked or failed in real life, prevailing in life and death situations. BBI has said it before he does this because he is tired of seeing the scumbags win. I believe those to be sincere comments, and I know I am better prepared because of the material he teaches.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wondering if some are hesitant to sign up because they don't want their view on how things are to be challenged by facts?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Shooting skills are perishable skills. .

This is me. I took up shooting a couple years ago after a long hiatus. Then two years ago I got a new job, bought a house that needs a total reno and haven't been shooting much. I quit concealed carrying since I don't practice weekly with my carry gun like I used to. I'm trying to get back into shooting but the pull to get my house functional is both time and money draining. I am not at the place to set up my reloader so when I shoot I am stuck with factory rounds which increase the cost even more. Excuses? Sure. But it's also my situation right now. Talk about perishable skills. I was embarrassed at my abilities when I shot steel awhile back. I'm normally 1/3 -1/2 up the rankings at a given event. I was dead last that night.

Wondering if some are hesitant to sign up because they don't want their view on how things are to be challenged by facts?

I'm not afraid of education. Based on what I read here that bbi posts I am sure I could learn a lot. And I have taken three classes from you, one from law enforcement in Lafayette, a couple Appleseeds and some other training regarding firearms and laws. But it goes back to the perishing. Without practice the training is mostly for naught.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you carry a gun for personal protection then this is one of the most relevant and useful classes you could possibly take.

If you're on the fence at all, then sign up. It's well worth the time and money.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is me. I took up shooting a couple years ago after a long hiatus. Then two years ago I got a new job, bought a house that needs a total reno and haven't been shooting much. I quit concealed carrying since I don't practice weekly with my carry gun like I used to. I'm trying to get back into shooting but the pull to get my house functional is both time and money draining. I am not at the place to set up my reloader so when I shoot I am stuck with factory rounds which increase the cost even more. Excuses? Sure. But it's also my situation right now. Talk about perishable skills. I was embarrassed at my abilities when I shot steel awhile back. I'm normally 1/3 -1/2 up the rankings at a given event. I was dead last that night.

I'm not afraid of education. Based on what I read here that bbi posts I am sure I could learn a lot. And I have taken three classes from you, one from law enforcement in Lafayette, a couple Appleseeds and some other training regarding firearms and laws. But it goes back to the perishing. Without practice the training is mostly for naught.

I had no one specifically in mind when I made that post. I meant it, but I was not pointing at anyone in particular. But this is what I was getting at; the number of people on this forum who carry and have not training what so ever, and the even larger number out there that are in the same boat. Those people who think they go around armed but in no way shape or form are prepared. Plus this is real world experience, and yet many let it go right by.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Emailed a request for a registration form just now. This is a 3 hour drive for me from Fort Wayne, but you folks seem worth it, and I'm already signed up for another class with BBI on July 31st so I figured why not. Thanks for doing this on a Sunday also, it's the one day I consistently have off from work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll add one more thing to this. Why this class is special, IMO, is because each scenario is real. Each scenario is discussed from the perspective of the victim of the crime, from the perspective of the investigator and prosecutor, and sometimes from the perspective of the suspect. Story based learning is one of earliest and most ingrained ways humans learn.

"Stories like this contain many different lessons and are useful as a form of vicarious experience for people who did not witness the incident...these kinds of stories also help us understand situations and relationships. We like to hear good stories retold. What is more interesting is our need to tell stories again and again. Each telling helps us understand more about the lessons embedded in the story. I suspect that this need to tell stories starts very early, even before the beginning of language..."

-Dr. Gary Klein "Sources of Power" pg. 179

Dr. Klein was researching nursing staffs and how decisions were made in a neo-natal intensive care unit, a place of time sensitive life and death decision making. I hope you see the parallels to what we're trying to teach here. I hope to see you there.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    If you carry a pistol on a regular basis IMHO you can't afford to miss this opportunity and believe me this IS an opportunity. Both of these guys have a wealth of knowledge and it's worth the price of admission just to pick their brains and listen to real world experiences rather than keyboard commandos fantasies. Added bonus being that you get to do some shooting and have what I would consider "pros" critique what you are doing. Undoubtedly the most informative and useful pistol training I have ever participated in.

Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom