• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    usually hunt with a 629 classic but have been wanting a rifle for deer season since they changed the laws for rifles. how about some pics of what you guys are using and reasons why you like them. thanks

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    In Indiana the best bet these days for 'rifle' like accuracy you can hunt with you can't really do any better than a shotgun with a rifled barrel for shooting sabot slugs.

No pics, but I've been shooting some with my dads Rem 870 Express w/rifled barrel and you don't need a rifle. Sorry, no pics though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    In Indiana the best bet these days for 'rifle' like accuracy you can hunt with you can't really do any better than a shotgun with a rifled barrel for shooting sabot slugs.

No pics, but I've been shooting some with my dads Rem 870 Express w/rifled barrel and you don't need a rifle. Sorry, no pics though.

Correct you don't NEED a rifle, but some of us prefer it. Greater accuracy and range.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

That might be true with one exception. The cost of sabot slugs versus the cost of .44 Mag round. BIG difference.

I love my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag with XS Sights Ghost ring on them. Accurate for deer out to 100 yards. I can keep them in the vitals out to 150, but deduct 50 yards for any buck fever. :D

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    That might be true with one exception. The cost of sabot slugs versus the cost of .44 Mag round. BIG difference.

I love my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag with XS Sights Ghost ring on them. Accurate for deer out to 100 yards. I can keep them in the vitals out to 150, but deduct 50 yards for any buck fever. :D
    big price difference is right. i can reload 44 xtps for .36 a round, have not bought slugs for a couple of years but i think they were over 2.50 a round.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Traditions .50cal muzzle, still makes the "one shot-one kill" fairly necessary. I put a set of ring risers on the rail so I can use open sights if I see fit. I am 4 for 4 with this rifle and I really like it. I think I paid about $350 for it. about 1 1/2 MOA on a bad day. I feel good out to about 200, will kill zone certainty. She has the mag. capabilities with 150gr trip 7s pyrodex and 295gr full metals.
    cva_53275_sm.jpg

And I can out shoot my 870 any day of the week with this set up!

fornick33.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Quantify best; because I don't think a slug gun can come close to a .458 socom. With a good load it can easily hold tighter than 1 1/2 MOA. I've never seen a slug gun do that. Plus, a slug gun falls off fast past 100 yards, the .458 just keeps going.

But thats just my unprofessional input.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Correct you don't NEED a rifle, but some of us prefer it. Greater accuracy and range.

If you dont have a rifled barrel you can by rifled slugs (not sabots) and go with either no choke or full open and shoot fairly will. I have a single shot New England 12g that I take in the fall with both turkey mags and rifled slugs depending on the view!

Rem+rifled+slug.jpg

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Quantify best; because I don't think a slug gun can come close to a .458 socom. With a good load it can easily hold tighter than 1 1/2 MOA. I've never seen a slug gun do that. Plus, a slug gun falls off fast past 100 yards, the .458 just keeps going.

But thats just my unprofessional input.

Good point, actually most of the old school (sorry for the cliche') shotgun white tailers have gone back to the 20g slug because the ballistics shot it to be a more dependable and flatter shooting round even out to distance.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    :+1: on the muzzleloader, can use in firearms season and ML season.

Dropped a nice doe with a 75yard shot down a draw with open sights.

Growing up in Texas my first deer rifle was a .243win. shot 110g softpoints (cuz I didn't know better), but the deer I drop these days with the .50cal go down much faster than the .243 ever did. I suppose 295gr vs 110gr might have something to do with it!:dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    usually hunt with a 629 classic but have been wanting a rifle for deer season since they changed the laws for rifles. how about some pics of what you guys are using and reasons why you like them. thanks

Reminton 870, because it flat knocks the crap out of them.

17547a_870-sticks-blind_set_up2115.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    big price difference is right. i can reload 44 xtps for .36 a round, have not bought slugs for a couple of years but i think they were over 2.50 a round.

I can reload sabots for about 20 cents a round if you want to compare apples to apple.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you dont have a rifled barrel you can by rifled slugs (not sabots) and go with either no choke or full open and shoot fairly will. I have a single shot New England 12g that I take in the fall with both turkey mags and rifled slugs depending on the view!

Rem+rifled+slug.jpg

Rifling on a foster slug makes about as much sense as rubber panties on a frog. Both are completely useless.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    deer rifle

seems the rifle question has turned in to a debate about shotguns. still interested in opinions on RIFLES. anybody shoot a ruger 44 mag semiauto? looks like it would be a handy woods gun if you could find one.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I purchased a Marlin 1894 .44 mag back in November but didn't use it during deer season. Since then I've shot it enough to know that it will take over the duties as being the deer gun. Also picked up a CVA Hunterbolt but I haven't got to shoot it yet. That is probably a gun I shouldn't have bought considering the condition it was in when purchased. It had been neglected and was in need of a serious cleaning. It's good to go now.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So far the plans for this year is to continue using my 870 express with a scope shooting sabots. I would love to get a 44 mag or 458 socom though. Either would be sweet!

Top Bottom