decisions, decisions/opinions, opinions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I know this has been covered all over but ive got a few specific choices here. I am open to anything else though.

Ok, so the deal is im looking for a good reliable pocket/ankle gun for as cheap as i can get. i don't want to skimp on quality though.

ive partly narrowed my choices down to Ruger LCP, taurus 85 ultralite(or similar revolver in price and quality, and Bersa Thunder .380 (the PPK clone not the other compact)

everyone knows about the LCP so i dont need any reviews about that one. ive been looking at one for quite some time.

so instead im wondering if the Bersa is good for the money or if it will give me problems since i have not heard much about these.

i am also really wanting a revolver. and i wanna know the same about the Taurus 85 Ultralite. worth it? problematic? are there any similarly priced revolvers that may be better?

I'm looking for these guns cause id like to stay around the $200-$350 range because this will not be my EDC, (already have a G23 for that:rockwoot:)

this gun will be more of a situational gun for times when i don't want to conceal the glock. I carry at work but i do alot of bending and walking so on long days i would rather have a pocket/ankle gun so i don't hav to worry about printing or being uncomfortable depending on what im doin.

so out of those 3 (LCP, Bersa Thunder, Taurus 85 or similar) i want some opinions FOR EACH ONE. i am open to any other suggestions as well, these are just ones ive taken a liking to.

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    If you can find a used Charter Arms Undercover snubby.....that would suit your revolver needs and you can get away spending $100.-$150.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    any other revolver suggestions?????? $200-$350 range. im really thinking im gunna end up with a revolver.

still want some feed back on the Bersa Thunder though. i really like the look of them and cheaper than the Walther PPK. i even saw a few reviews elsewhere saying the Bersa was better than the Walther. idk if that could be true but maybe.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I really like my LCP, especially for ankle carry, I hardly notice that I am even wearing it because it is so small, thin & lightweight.

I also really like my Taurus 85 ultra-lite, IMHO they are great little revolvers but they are not as comfortable to wear on the ankle due to the wideness of the revolver cylinder so when I carry my 85 I usually pocket carry it.

I haven't owned a Bersa in a long time but I recall it being a tad to large & heavy for me to either ankle or pocket carry comfortably, so I ended up carrying it IWB, I did hear that they started making a smaller CC version of it though so those might be worth looking into.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I also really like my Taurus 85 ultra-lite, IMHO they are great little revolvers but they are not as comfortable to wear on the ankle due to the wideness of the revolver cylinder so when I carry my 85 I usually pocket carry it.

i was really liking this one.

im seriously thinking about a revovler more than any other. i love the S&W's and have shot a 642, i belive it was, but revovlers like those are a little too expensive for my purpose.

and yea im probably goin to get an LCP down the road as well since thats like the ultimate concealable pistol.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

I doubt you'd find the Thunder 380 suitable for pocket carrying, but they are a decent pistol. I owned one and still have a Bersa Series 95 which was a previous version. Not really ~frequent~ issues with either of them, but I think I'd rather have the reliability of the revolver.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my Taurus 85 for several years now and still love it. I bought it used and have never had any problems from it ever. I have carried it from time to time and I really enjoy shooting it. Good luck with your decision.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    My opinion keep looking. Let me review all three, it will only take a minute. The Ruger LCP a very small gun that is hard to hold onto, loaded with .380 which is about as bad a round as ever made for self defense. If you like pain buy it, it will fit in an ankle holster or shirt pocket, or a car ashray, or under a hat...it is small. Now the Taurus, I have shot the 856 SS six shot which is an ounce heavier than the 85. I loaded it with +p ammo. It wasn't painful, it was downright brutal. One thing we didn't need was a 12 oz gun shooting +p ammo. It will fit in an ankle holster, but I doubt you or anyone will practice enough with this beast to ever become proficient in using it. The Bersa is tamer in the recoil area, but I am not sure it will fit in an ankle holster. Oh and it is only a .380. My suggestion is to take a look at some small 9mm models like the Kel Tec P11, or a Russian Makarov in 9x18 saw one for $249, or a Radom P64 in 9x18 a clone of the PPK saw one for $159 last week, or a snub nose Smith that has some weight to it. The insane .380 buying binge ended several months ago, time for that round to go to sleep for another 40 years.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cathy's Bersa Thunder 380 has proven to be a great little gun. She's got about 500 rounds or so through it so far, and it's been very reliable. It's quite accurate, we both easily bust clay pigeons with it at 25 yards. It's extremely comfortable and fun to shoot, as a bonus.

She recently used her gun in a defensive pistol class with ACT. Part of the curriculum, of course, included clearing malfunctions. As should be the case with a defensive handgun, malfunctions had to be induced. We loaded an empty case into the mag to do so.

I'm comfortable recommending the gun without reservation.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Not sure on the price of the LCR, but that might be an option too?

I am not a fan of the LCP solely because i just can't get a good grip on one. Maybe with a good stipple job it might work better for me, but it just seem too small for me.

I do have a Taurus revolver that I love though but with its 3" barrel it is probably a little big for ankle carry.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Bersa Thunder 380, has proven to be an excellent pistol. Totally
    reliable, and very accurate for what it is. Good for holster carry, but
    would not be good for pocket carry.
    Best thing about Bersa customer service, is you will probably never
    need it.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I in the same boat right now, I carry a J frame for a while but some times even that seem bulky. to me important thing is been able to carry without worry that people would notice, the options for me are Ruger LCP and Kahr P380. the problem is the Kahr is almost twice the price of the LCP.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have owned a taurus 605 and a Bersa thunder. I have yet to own/shoot an LCP. Coincidently I was thinking about getting one of the same guns you are thinking. I personally think the Bersa firing .380 is not enough for me. I really liked my 605 it was very similar to alot of S&W revolvers and I never had any real problem with it in the 200ish rounds I put through it. The LCP for me is just too small. If I were to choose between those 3 today I am going with the Taurus due to power factor and ammo versatility.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have shot the LCP and the bersa 380. I don't like the LCP but the Bersa is a good gun. I will add something else for you to consider. I have the Taurus 709 which shoots .380. I love it. It's got slightly more handle than the LCP and to me a more comfortable grip. I have never had it malfunction and I have seen LCP malfunctions. I like the .380 for a pocket or ankle gun.

Darn it I goofed up in what I said above. I have the 709 but it is 9 mm. I also have the Taurus 738 which shoots .380 and is the one I meant to tell you about above.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    +1 for the Taurus 85. I have one that I have been shooting Federal .38 +P+ from with zero issues. It has very good balance for such a light revolver.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i'm really torn between the LCP and a revolver.

what would some of you do in my postion?
    i work in a store where i am constantly walking, bending, lifting, etc. and i do carry my glock 23 but i always hav to worry about it printing and it is just not comfortable at work. any other time i am perfectly comfortable. im not looking for a new EDC (although i may carry this new one as a back up as well) i am looking for a gun to carry comfortably at work.

i like the idea of the fire power with a revolver, but the concealability of the LCP is huge in my mind.

im really leaning towards revolver, but i can't get the LCP out of my mind.
    pocket carry is probably what i will be doing the most.

im just having a really hard time deciding guys!!!!!

thanks for all the suggestions so far :rockwoot:

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    I have an LCP and a Bersa 380.
    The Bersa is as reliable as a hammer. Unfortunately, it also weighs about the same. It is an excellent weapon, but not for an ankle holster. It rides in my car, concealed in a holster mounted on the driver's seat. Dollar for dollar, the Bersa is about the best small caliber weapon value in existance. Spare magazines are rediculously expensive ($55).

The LCP is the gun I carry when I can't carry a gun. In all honesty, I hate shooting it. But, other than its Keltec twin, it does what no other gun can do. It's a good option to have.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have no problems shooting my LCP, but only so long as I am using the little factory magazine grip extension, that seems to be just enough purchase for my ring finger to help stabilize the weapon during recoil & I am not just talking about slow fire here, usually when I am practicing with my LCP I am shooting all 6+1 rounds as fast as humanly possible, just like I would be in an "emergency situation" & that little magazine extension makes a pretty big difference in control-ability.

Anyway I love j-frame sized .38spl snub-nosed revolvers & I think everyone should have at least one, but they really don't completely disappear when worn like an LCP does, so if "ultimate conceal-ability" is your number one priority I'd probably lean towards the LCP.

But the Taurus 85UL would probably be a little more fun at the range, so long as you aren't shooting +P loads out of it that is.

Top Bottom