• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Wel, someone got my debit card number and bought some crap from a grocery store in Texas. Fortunately, Chase called me this morning and took care of everything. Of course, I'm without a debit card till they get my new one to me, but I guess it's a small price to pay. Hope the thieves get food poisoning. Odd thing is that I don't use my debit card online, only at regular stores and restaurants. Goes to show that no place is really safe.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Got my stolen too. Cancelled it Thursday evening. They used it at Macy's, Starbucks,'and a couple places that I've never heard of, all in Texas. Got me for about $300, but it looks like it was flagged before it went through. Very few things **** me off like a thief.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Remember that after a quick investigation the bank replaces the money in the account. You are still out that amount and without a card until they deciede that you did not make the purchases.

I was stupid and pulled into my old neighborhood to say hello to my old neighbor. I was going to be around 10 minutes tops but he is pulling burgers off the grill with adult beverages on ice. I did not lock the truck. When home thought nothing of it. Nothing seemed broken or missing.

M&I called at 8:15 am. DO you have your card? I told them i though so and checked the wallet. No card. Went to the truck. My glass jar that contained about 14 dollars of mainly nickels dimes and pennies was gone and when I filled up the tank last with my card i threw it in the jar then i went and used the vacume hose and got out the only 3 quarters in the jar. In less than 4 hours fuel was purchased 3 times and 4 red boxes were hit, They cancelled the card before they even called me.

Still i was out 325 in charges for 4 days and had to fill out paperwork at the bank basically stating my story.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    been whipped out clean twice so far... once i got a text alert early morn saying i was $2100 over drawn. Best Buy in Minnesota. another one for $700 at Newegg or some ****

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    Wife just had her credit card number compromised after paying for gas at the pump, BP in Anderson. They charged about 500 in misc charges, then tried 300 at Miejer and Amex finally flagged it as stolen.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    It happened to us a LONG time ago. Amazingly enough, my wife snooped around and ended up catching the woman who did it, turned everything we found out over to Paypal since the local police were not interested. They told us that even $1 using stolen cards is a felony and that they most certainly do prosecute.

It's amazingly sick how easy it is for these criminals to steal cc info. I didn't view the attached link, but I know that at self-service locations (gas stations, ATMS, etc) they can attach skimmers in front of the credit card device. I always inspect that before I insert my card. Another way is that when you go to restaurant the waiters/waitresses can run it through a skimming device or copy the number down. Another newer technique is that if you're in line somewhere, someone near you may be using their cell phone to take pictures of peoples' cards to steal the numbers.

All in all, there still is not enough punishment for these scumbags.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It happened to us a LONG time ago. Amazingly enough, my wife snooped around and ended up catching the woman who did it, turned everything we found out over to Paypal since the local police were not interested. They told us that even $1 using stolen cards is a felony and that they most certainly do prosecute.

It's amazingly sick how easy it is for these criminals to steal cc info. I didn't view the attached link, but I know that at self-service locations (gas stations, ATMS, etc) they can attach skimmers in front of the credit card device. I always inspect that before I insert my card. Another way is that when you go to restaurant the waiters/waitresses can run it through a skimming device or copy the number down. Another newer technique is that if you're in line somewhere, someone near you may be using their cell phone to take pictures of peoples' cards to steal the numbers.

All in all, there still is not enough punishment for these scumbags.
    Pretty sure there were no skimmers anywhere I used my card. That's one thing I'm always pretty careful to watch out for. And my card isn't one of the RFID type, either. Likely someone I do business with had their system hacked and I happened to be the unlucky customer who got tagged. Happened once before a few years back, but Chase caught it that time, too. They didn't call me on that one, but they did this time. Glad they were on the ball!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I hate to hear that. You can count me in the group that have had their debit card number stolen. The bank was able to show me the transactions the thief did. They ran one for zero dollars to make sure the card was good. Then they ran one for twenty bucks. After that, they went for the gusto and tried to spend a grand. Luckily, I let my balance dwindle down to a couple hundred bucks and they didn't get that much.

In the end, my bank was great to work with and I got all my money back. You still feel violated when someone does that to you. According to the lady that worked on my case, this happens frequently. She said she handles one or two cases like mine each week.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    Someone tried to use mine Tuesday at a hotel in New Mexico. Luckily for me that it was declined and I got an alert. Called my bank and they canceled the card and are sending a new one. Sucked at lunch when I had to use my Discover card, but better than the alternative.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Someone tried to use mine Tuesday at a hotel in New Mexico. Luckily for me that it was declined and I got an alert. Called my bank and they canceled the card and are sending a new one. Sucked at lunch when I had to use my Discover card, but better than the alternative.
    Yeah, I'm actually going to have to break out the checkbook for the next few days. That seems such an old way to do business. :D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    TCU is annoyingly good at trying to stop fraudulent charges on their debit cards. One day I got gas in Plymouth before going to Best Buy in Mishawaka. I purchased an Acer tablet and before the transaction was completed, I'd received a call about potential fraudulent charges. Once again when I bought some lunch at IUSB and stopped at Walmart in Plymouth on the way home to pick up Madden 13 and the new NCAA football. I was standing at the checkout when I got that call too.

In the past, I've seen forums based around stolen credit and debit cards. Many of the members were Turkish and Russian. They steal numbers over the internet and sell or trade them. They'd give instructions for stealing numbers from the parking lots of known unsecured retailers.

I prefer using cash as often as possible.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    TCU is annoyingly good at trying to stop fraudulent charges on their debit cards. One day I got gas in Plymouth before going to Best Buy in Mishawaka. I purchased an Acer tablet and before the transaction was completed, I'd received a call about potential fraudulent charges. Once again when I bought some lunch at IUSB and stopped at Walmart in Plymouth on the way home to pick up Madden 13 and the new NCAA football. I was standing at the checkout when I got that call too.

In the past, I've seen forums based around stolen credit and debit cards. Many of the members were Turkish and Russian. They steal numbers over the internet and sell or trade them. They'd give instructions for stealing numbers from the parking lots of known unsecured retailers.

I prefer using cash as often as possible.

That's what I like about Teachers Credit Union!:yesway:
    I have had my debit card cloned two times and they catch it amazingly fast. My only issue is that I have to call them if I will be traveling out of state just to aviod any issues.

Top Bottom