• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am going to throw myself under the bus here, other than putting satellites in orbit for defense and comunications, personally I think we should spend more time exploring the planet we live on now instead of launching people in to space to do experiments.

We won the space race, lets move on to more productive, and more importantly, less expensive pursuits.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am going to throw myself under the bus here, other than putting satellites in orbit for defense and comunications, personally I think we should spend more time exploring the planet we live on now instead of launching people in to space to do experiments.

We won the space race, lets move on to more productive, and more importantly, less expensive pursuits.

I think you are correct we need to stop doing experiments, and start learning to exploit the resources in space, which was what the next step is supposed to be. We are running out of room and resources here, if we don't start taking steps to look elsewhere, other nations will, and they will prosper while we become merely another historical has been like so many other nations that allowed themselves to stagnate.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Terrible idea. Space exploration and the space industry has given advancements to numerous to list.

One more in a long and growing list on why I can't stand that turd.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I wonder how many people will lose their jobs because of Barry "2 Million Jobs Saved or Created" O'Bama's "cost cutting" measures.

Oh well... Who cares? They can just go out and get those fictitious "green jobs" he and Al Gore are always talking about.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Well guys I don't think you know what the fXXX you're talking about. Yes I absolutely support a manned space program. But also being an astronautical engineer working everyday in space programs, I think I have a bare and limited understanding of some of the challenges and cost involved it takes to to explore space.

Commerzialization of Spaceflight is in my personal opinion the best way to make space affordable and explorable in the long run. BUT the risk and extremely high cost involved are not making very appealing at this point. Granted some firms are taking up the risk but we're not there were we need to be. Having worked 2.5 yrs in commercial space, I saw the challenges and conservative attitude towards investment and risk on a daily basis. And I do believe this is an area that offers lots of potential in the future. May be not as much as biotech but lots and very useful progress. But we need to set the right framework.

I loved the Apollo program but those days of nearly unlimted budgets are over. So, now it becomes a taks of allocating the resources available in such a way it is financially wise, and also gives us the most for the buck. And human space exploration is just insanely expansive to other options available. And yes I am in favor of human space exploration. But right now unless it becomes a national priority which it might with China racing us, it shouldn't be the primary focus. Just my :twocents:.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

What about the technology spinoffs we get? I think we should spend enough to keep us 10-15 years ahead of EVERYONE else, the spinoffs can be commercialized if the DoD would just allow its transfer quicker.

This is a BAD move.....

Obama was called a turd, I can not disagree with that statement. Think he would be willing to sit down and have a beer with a regular Joe?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    What about the technology spinoffs we get? I think we should spend enough to keep us 10-15 years ahead of EVERYONE else

I know there were big time tech spinoffs from Apollo. Space Shuttle? I don't know - you tell me.

Another unanswered question for me is whether manned space exploration is the most cost-effective way to stimulate technological development.

We are talking here about a government debt that is projected to grow to $55-75 trillion. Any claim that more government spending is going to reap future benefits, I want to see that claim investigated and examined with a microscope, and the benefits strictly compared against the costs.

For people who are generally skeptical of government's ability to go in and do good by spending billions, INGO members seem awfully eager to write the government a blank check on this one.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Joe's link shows that for every dollar spent on the space program, we get twenty-five dollars back traveling through the economy.
    Barry, Barry, Barry, THAT'S a stimulus package that has additional benefit of new technology which is applicable in all of our lives.
    Rather than 'flatlining' the space program we should be expanding it while developing similar programs for environmental clean-up, cheap fuel systems and food production.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    How much more innovation would we have if the state didn't have a monopoly on space exploration? I am not discounting the technology advancements that have come about because of the space program, but nothing motivates progress like competition.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How much more innovation would we have if the state didn't have a monopoly on space exploration? I am not discounting the technology advancements that have come about because of the space program, but nothing motivates progress like competition.

They don't have a monopoly. Private companies can jump in any time. A couple have dipped their toes in, but that's about it so far. The goal of the program has always been to spur private space flight, one area in which it has not achieved success in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom