• ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Spetsnaz vs. Green Berets

i dont feel the above was the proper match-up. many people dont understand the true role of U.S. SF. they only have the percieved view given to them by movies that are highly innacurate. The true main role of U.S. SF is as teachers. yes they are hardcore and can perform any mssion given, but i felt a more accurate matchup would have been between another U.S. Special Operation force vs. Spetsnaz, and then im sure you would have seen the ruskies get a down home azz beating based alone on their "technical" data alone. not saying SF isnt tough (i still think they would win in real life), but certain forces are trained for different objectives and varying levels of expectations. all that being said, i havent watched the show, i will have to see if i can dvr it. what day is it on and what channel for directv?

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    I watched that show for the first time last week and got hooked has soon as I got home I set my dvr to record. the one i saw was william wallace vs shaka zulo. the 2 team were getting so heated and insulting each like crazy I thought they were gonna go at it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've been meaning to post in this thread...The other day I watched a marathon and one of the episodes they took all of the non-firearms warriors and narrowed them down to the Spartan and the Samurai...

My dog had to take a :poop: right when they were getting ready to go to battle, so I missed the ending; who won and by what margin?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    one of the episodes they took all of the non-firearms warriors and narrowed them down to the Spartan and the Samurai...

who won and by what margin?

From Wikipedia:

Ancient match

For the ancient elimination block, the warriors assembled included the Apache, Samurai, Spartan, Shaolin Monk, and William Wallace. The Apache and Shaolin Monk were automatically removed from the running due to a lack of any form of armor and armor penetrating weapons. William Wallace was taken out of the running due to a lack of a formidable long range weaponry, as well as his easily penetrable chainmail. They decided on the Spartan and Samurai, the team captains of the remaining teams made a return to retest their weapons against different adversaries. The end result was one of the closest matches to date, of ancient warriors it is the second closest match, with only the Viking vs Samurai match being closer.

Spartan representative: Barry Jacobsen (Spartan Historian and Weapons Expert)
    Spartan weapons: Spear, Short Sword, Javelin, Shield

Samurai representative: Tetsuro Shigematsu (Samurai Descendant/)
    Samurai weapons: Katana, Naginata, Yumi, Kanabo

* In short-range weapons the Samurai katana was tested against the Spartan's short sword, the Xiphos. Footage of the tests for both from previous episodes was reviewed. The edge was given to the katana for slicing through two pigs, while the xiphos barely got through one. The katana also had a length advantage over the xiphos.

* In mid-range weapons, the Samurai's naginata was pitted against a gel torso wearing a Spartan cuirass. The gel torso was mounted on an "attack bot" to simulate an attacking Spartan. The naginata failed to penetrate its target. The same attack bot was then outfitted with a Samurai cuirass and tested against the Spartan's dory spear, which not only failed to penetrate its target, but was also severely bent in the process. Despite this, the weapons were declared even because neither could penetrate their enemy's armor.

* In long-range weapons, both teams reviewed the footage of the Spartan's javelin and the Samurai's yumi. The javelin was deemed a weapon used against mass formations instead of a single enemy, while the Yumi had speed, killing power, and accuracy. The Yumi was unanimously (including the Spartan expert) given the edge because of its high speed and lethal accuracy.

* For special weapons, the kanabo and the Spartan shield were pit against each other. While the kanabo used in the testing did fair structural damage to the Viking shield earlier on in season one, in this test it was demonstrated by Shigematsu instead of Chan with a side swing rather than an overhead strike. The Spartan shield was too solid for the kanabo to damage and was unharmed except for a few dents. The Spartan shield however was shown to be just as powerful a weapon as ever and therefore given the edge.

Final: Spartan 527 Samurai 473

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    ^^^Thanks.

Sometimes I forget I'm on the internet and anything can be found.:n00b:

I figured the Spartans would win, but by a close margin...I couldn't believe how effective the Samurai's armor was though.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I can't believe I can actually get my wife to watch this show with me. I think it's great and the battles at the end are always exciting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I watch it religiously, and it's fouled with foolish properganda, mainly Anti-Western.

I've spent more than enough hours, perhaps adding upto to days researching the various battles, and many of them in the DW show are a joke.

Gladiators getting beat by Apaches? Kidding me? Gladiators did nothing but fight, and the attire he had, one punch from the spiked glove and it's game over, somehow he lost to a person who lost to more civilized people.

Vikings losing to the samurai was another pee poor joke.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There was a marathon last night and I caught bits of the James Gang vs. Al Capone's fellas, the James Gang won.

I TIVO 'd it and watched that last night. They needed more competent gangsters and more real to life weapons to what they would have used in a situation. Not a shotgun in the whole episode. That's ridiculous given the two time periods and circumstances they claim to present.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's cool to see the weapons, and to see them demonstrated. However the computer recreation is a joke in my eyes. You can not really simulate a battle like that. There are to many variables.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Spetsnaz vs. Green Berets

i don't feel the above was the proper match-up. many people don't understand the true role of U.S. SF. they only have the perceived view given to them by movies that are highly inaccurate. The true main role of U.S. SF is as teachers. yes they are hardcore and can perform any mission given, but i felt a more accurate match up would have been between another U.S. Special Operation force vs. Spetsnaz, and then I'm sure you would have seen the ruskies get a down home azz beating based alone on their "technical" data alone. not saying SF isn't tough (i still think they would win in real life), but certain forces are trained for different objectives and varying levels of expectations. all that being said, i haven't watched the show, i will have to see if i can dvr it. what day is it on and what channel for directv?

I agree with you 100%. For example the Green Berets where used in Vietnam as force multipliers. They trained ingenious personnel to assist U.S. forces. They are still used for that same roll today, in many of the worlds hot spots. They are still bad azz, like you said. However they should have faced them against the Navy Seals, Rangers, Marine Force Recon, etc. Those Ruskies would have got pimp slapped! Ya dig :patriot:. I mean what's with all the dip, dive, and roll shooting from the Ruskies. May look all mystical, but impractical in my opinion. I mean is it Russia's best dance crew, with guns?! The one advantage they did have was the ballistic knife. That's all I will give them :patriot:.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I mean is it Russia's best dance crew, with guns?!

Back-flipping hatchet attack FTW!

spetsnaz.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Back-flipping hatchet attack FTW!

spetsnaz.jpg

That is my special move, when I'm faced with a deadly situation. Those dirty commies stole it from me. That is super ninja tactical combat ownage infringment. Only I can throw multiple axes with lighting speed, and pin point accuracy. I'm talking jugular hit every time. Knaw wha I menn!

Top Bottom