• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Anyone seen this episode? The Spetnaz have a holster for their Makarov 9mm that holds the pistol by the slide. When you press down hard, it flips off the safety, and racks the slide at the same time.

Anyone ever seen such a thing?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I haven't seen the episode you mentioned, but I love that show.

I'll be on the lookout for that one.

That holster sounds pretty sweet, but I'm not sure if I would want that thing pointed at me while the slide is racking...An AD could really ruin your day.

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    So far i've found the show amusing. Most of the weapon comparisions to me seem wrong. I was not pleased with the viking episode at all, painted an inaccurate picture of the viking warriors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    That Spetznaz holster was pretty sweet. I wonder who makes them.

I was more dissapointed by the Green Beret's showing of his handgun skills. Yeah, maybe he was 5 seconds faster than the Russian, but what difference does that make if you can't make the kill when needed. I guess I just expected more from an "expert".

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    I have been watching this show go down-hill by each episode. This episode, really REALLY REEEEEALLY irked me. As a veteran, it made us look pitiful. The biggest peave I had with the show, was the inconsistent testing of the weapons and situations. The grenade test? the shotgun test? really? they had no merit as they were used in different tests.

On top of that a big part of our infantry, let alone the S.F./G.B./Rangers, is "We own the Night." meaning when the darkness comes out, we come in to play. The tactics were not considered, yet during the interludes they showed the spetsnaz skill on hand to hand combat. Where was our show of hand to hand? Where were the PEC-2's that we use with the NVG's?

After watching this, I have decided to take it off my DV-R list. And I also emailed Spike's Deadliest Warriors producers, and hope to get a response from them.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Interesting commentary from Sonny Puzikas (one of the former Spets guys featured on the show), courtesy of another forum:

Originally Posted by Sonny Puzikas
    Getting ready to fly off to LA (Hollywood s$$t...) for a day or two- will expand more and answer questions once I'm back.

In short: This was nothing more than entertainment and business... That's the way TV works.

The one finger salute was meant for the director. In editing they made it look if I'm flipping off GB's...

GB's brought their own weapons. We were not allowed. Initially they promised AN94, VS99, Giurza pistol... Naaawww.

SVD was very poor quality romanian POS. Max was not given opportunity to zero it in before filming. The M24 was one of GB's personal rifle- zeroed, tuned, etc. Saiga was without pistol grip and NO sights. Makarov it wasn't... Some unnamed copy... Gen 1 NVG's... Much footage and discussions didn't make the cut.

GB's were nice enough guys. Little "big mouthed" (especially initially), but nice and friendly. Director was constantly egging us on to talk smack. Non stop.

Off to LA to film aftermath and meet with some folks about future projects...

Thanks all...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    very interesting! I bet that Sonny guy would be a very interesting person to meet in real life.

You can train with him; he periodically teaches courses with Gabe Suarez.

I'm not real thrilled by the "back-flip hatchet attack" stuff that the Spetsnaz seem to like so much, but I certainly wouldn't want to **** the guy off. ;)

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Holster sounds like a mistake waiting to happen.

Why not just carry cocked and locked, or even just loaded and rely on DA.

Plus isn't the theory behind the G.B. to go train local forces, and act as a force multiplier?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Why not just carry cocked and locked

Can't do that with a Mak; the safety also functions as a decocker.

or even just loaded and rely on DA.

1) because the DA pull on a Mak sucks a$$

and

2) because many militaries expect/require/force their troops to carry with an empty chamber unless actively engaged in combat operations. Look at Israel for example.

Plus isn't the theory behind the G.B. to go train local forces, and act as a force multiplier?

Yep. It has been pointed out on other forums that Navy SEALs or Delta operatives (i.e., special forces who are primarily "shooters") might have been a better or more direct comparison. And probably would've flat kicked the Spetsnaz guys' asses, to boot. ;)

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    I DVRed it, figuring Id get to see some cool toys.

I watched about 3 minutes of it and started fastforwarding it. Once I saw that they gave the edge to the Mak over the Beretta I just forwarded it to the end to watch the "battle" :rolleyes:
    (Yes, I know hits on target count more than going fast. But come on!)

One thing I got a chuckle about was the GBs running around all geared up and the Spetz guys looking like they just came from the Gap.

Total FAIL on that episode.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    (Yes, I know hits on target count more than going fast. But come on!)

Just another example of how poorly the "tests" were set up. You're going to declare one gun better than the other because one guy could hit his targets better than the other? Gimme a break. I bet Sonny could've done just as well with the Beretta...

The narrator's voice was Cheese Factor 11.

No doubt. He must've graduated from the Richard Machowicz Narrator School. :):

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The show is cool if you keep in mind that the accuracy is questionable at best, and that it IS for entertainment, so they are going to embellish and use "creative editing" (ala Michael Moore) :-)

Top Bottom