• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Never realized how much a dead human body smells like wet pork rinds.

Anyway, I had an insurance claim yesterday where a guy died and wasn't discovered for 2 weeks. I had to go in and figure out how much repairs would cost from his ____ that _____ all over the wall from his body _____ to about twice it's normal size and ________ after being dead in the summer heat for two weeks (no AC). I had to put on a respirator just to stand the smell for 10 minutes. After I finished I hosed myself down with lysol disinfectant and changed clothes.

Got me to thinking - if the S does HTF, there's going to be a lot of dead body odor around and all the nasties that go with it. The smell will knock you out though if you're not ready for it. The closest thing I can think of that could get you mentally ready for this kind of smell is field dressing a gut shot pig in July.

Get an organic vapor cartridge for your respirator (the cartridge respirators at Home Depot will work) and a can of disinfectant for any work you may have to do around old dead bodies. Worst case scenario if the S never hits the fan you can still use it when you're using your paint sprayer to turn the wife's minivan into the A-team van.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, here's the photos post removal and biohazard initial cleaning. The smell would still knock you out even after biohazard techs went through the first time. Uneventful unless you know what to look for. This area here is where the bed was at. Look for any sort of darkened mark on the wall or anything that looks like dripping. That's from his ______ exploding all over the wall. It then soaked through the carpet and pad and into the pile of clothing. So.....who's hungry?

6bb8af4c19.jpg

d8b3acd6e1.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    We put Benzoine on the mask and Menthelatum under our nostrils for really bad odors. Dead bodies have a sort of putrid sweet smell, very hard to describe but nothing else smells like it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I can not be around hog roasts. The carcass turning on the spit looks and smells a whole lot like roasted human, and I've encountered plenty of that in my life. Doesn't make me sick, but I don't have any appetite. But yeah, putrefaction of a person has a unique smell that is unlike that of any other animal I've encountered.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    WARNING:
    DISGUSTING PIC AHEAD!

100_0630.jpg

And yes, I took this myself.

Has anyone heard of Dr. Neal Haskell? You may have seen him on the Discovery Channel. Real-life Gil Grissom. I took his maggot class this summer and learned TONS. This pic was taken on his farm in the circle of death, a circle of pigs in various stages of decomp.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    In my old job I would often be called when someone hadn't been heard from for days. Many times I was with family members when we found the dead body. Sometimes I was alone doing a "health and welfare" check.
    And yes, clean up afterward was left to my crew. I don't miss those days at all.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Once you smell a dead body you always know the smell when you come across it again.

I took a run once of a "check the welfare" of an older person who lived on the sixth floor of an apartment building. My partner and I walked into the foyer on the ground floor, smelled death waiting on us, looked at each other and said......"yep, he's dead".

Human death smells the same no matter where you find it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've heard that a lot of folks can/will put a lot of various things under their nose to help hide/mask the smell...

Part of those discussions, I've heard that sticking your finger inside the gas fill valve and hoping for a little gasoline is "supposed to work".

I DO know, though, that heavy mentholated products, like Vick's Vapo Rub, you do NOT want to use. That stuff is designed to OPEN your nasal passages...

That said, I certainly hope that I don't ever have to experience it.

But if it were a true SHTF scenario and you just couldn't get away from it, you'd soon be "used" to it. Sensory deprivation works in our bodies every day all the time (for the most part), that smell would be no different.

-J-

Top Bottom