• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    So this coming July myself, fiance and other couple are planning a trip to dc for some "touristy" stuff. The couple we will be with care nothing about self defense/firearms and I am the primary gun guy of the group, fiance doesnt mind them but she's not particularly into them (another topic). Anyways, from the research I've done I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.

Are there any alternatives that are legal defense options while there? I would love to carry my normal gear but gun/knife combo is clearly out....knife alone is out in my book as well. If anyone has any known legal options I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I will look into this as well, however does protocol stand of being able to have my gun in the state as long as it is locked in a safe with ammo separate? I know many states are like (ohio and the like) but DC is a whole nother beast. Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Do NOT carry a gun in DC, even locked in your vehicle. Point in fact, don't even carry so much as a spent .22 shell as you CAN be arrested for it.

The BEST option, and one I did the last couple of years when I HAD to go to DC to go to an Embassy, was park in Maryland and take the metro in, it's actually quite efficient and reasonably priced and goes pretty much anywhere you need to go in DC. Parking is also MUCH easier outside.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing in DC that I want to tour bad enough to give up my right to self defense and I sure as hell am not going to spend any money in there. I did carry a ceramic blade with me deeply concealed and a few other "innocuous" items that I have practiced self defense with. But as far as I am concerned the whole place can go to hell.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Don't bring your gun to DC. Don't even think about it. Maryland either.

You can stay just over the Virginia border which is closer to downtown than Maryland. Maryland is just as bad as DC. Virginia on the other hand is better than Indiana.

Don't worry about crossing through Maryland and WV, you're protected by federal law as long as your final destination is in Virginia which has reciprocity with Indiana. But to be safe, go east through PA and cross just over Berkeley Springs, WV so you'll only be in Maryland for 5 minutes, and WV for a little longer. Lock it in the trunk unloaded with the ammo separate. Spending some time in OH is obviously unavoidable.

And keep a copy of this in your glove box - 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah, no guns there. Do you have a good, bright flashlight? It's no gun, but it's a striking tool and a good, bright light is a good blinding tool as well at night or even in lower lighting. A good, 200 lumen or more flashlight can be very useful for diffusing a situation. Plus, no one will arrest you for having a flashlight. You can carry it on a plane, into gov't buildings (as far as I know) etc. Unless it has a super spiky, ominous bezel, it shouldn't be viewed as a weapon to be confiscated. I have a Surefire LX2 Lumamax. Excellent light. 200 lumens on high, 15 on low. Tactically sound tailcap that is easy on/off without strobe and all that. Press and hold for on, let go for off. Twist for constant on. Pricey, but something you can count on in a defense situation.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The only DC trip options I would consider at this time in history involve circuit breakers and fuses.

Sad that the capital city of the USA doesn't recognize its own constitution.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I second the suggestion about staying in a hotel in Alexandria or some other place in Virginia. DC is actually pretty safe as long as you are in the monuments area and the national mall area. Arlington, Iwo jima, air force, marine corps, and mt vernon are all in Virginia.

When you go into the city, you will be amazed by the number of police officers and the number of agencies policing the streets. They are everywhere...

If you go to fords theater, try to not step on the homeless sleeping on the sidewalk.

The parts of the city where you need to be armed are not the tourist areas. You will be watched on camera and your conversation will be listened to no matter where you are in the national mall. I am not joking about this.

Last edited:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Don't go! Read about it in books or watch a documentary on TV. There are much nicer places to visit where you still have rights.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom