• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not all, the Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany are EST.

Evansville should be by all standards with the rest of Indiana because the central time zone is inappropriately to large.

The region, they associate with Chicago, some times the way a lot of people act up there and the way they vote, we should just let Illinois have it and we take equal a amount of southeastern Illinois.

But then, who would Chicago have to blame their gun violence on.
    This is fundamentally incorrect. As of right now, EST/CDT is 57 minutes ahead of solar time in Brazil, which is due north of Owensboro and due south of Porter. These locations are ONLY 3 MINUTES OFF OF SOLAR TIME WHEN USING CST. That means that regardless of your opinion of the longitude covered by CST it is perfectly appropriate for these locations.

The solar midnight and noon are quoted in EST.

Screenshot_20210313-143233~2.png

Similarly, Jeffersonville is 8 minutes from local solar time when placed in CST where it properly belongs.

You are entitled to your own preferences, but the fact of the matter is that the western culture has used solar time as its standard throughout history up to the time that the railroads needed to schedule trains without head-on collisions demanded standardization. The bottom line is that CST most correctly reflects the actual solar time for the entire state of Indiana. Decades of using CDT year round worked well for us balancing the advantages of dst with a basically appropriate time. Using EDT which is approximately 2 hours away from actual time is dumber than owlshit.

Screenshot_20210313-144506~2.png

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have often said that much of the disagreement on this issue is morning people vs night people. So definitely there are those that feel exactly opposite of my situation.

No life would not grind to a halt for me, but I would lose 7 very productive hours a week without DST that would be replaced with 7 hours of light while I'm trying to sleep.
    How, when the electric light has been a thing for nearly two centuries, do you possibly lose 7 very productive hours a week, ostensibly due to evening darkness?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    People talking about "I like" or "it's good for me".
    Well, we're not supposed to be making law for that.
    It's supposed to be for the "nation".

So, things like, it's better for the nation, it saves electricity, it cuts down on health related issues, it cuts down on accidents.

And, it doesn't save electricity.
    It seems to cause more health problems.
    And accidents go up after the time change.

So...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How, when the electric light has been a thing for nearly two centuries, do you possibly lose 7 very productive hours a week, ostensibly due to evening darkness?

For outdoor business or recreation that electric light does not allow, shifting the sunset to an hour later times 7 days a week is huge. The perception of the people changes concerning later evening business appointments when the sunset is later...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    People talking about "I like" or "it's good for me".
    Well, we're not supposed to be making law for that.
    It's supposed to be for the "nation".

So, things like, it's better for the nation, it saves electricity, it cuts down on health related issues, it cuts down on accidents.

And, it doesn't save electricity.
    It seems to cause more health problems.
    And accidents go up after the time change.

So...
    I believe Daniels cited the loss of 2 billion in business revenue by not being on DST.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    According to my research it appears that Democrats and liberals in general are more in favor of daylight savings time.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This post is really not about DST, but it seems related and it's been discussed. It's about our placement in the Eastern TZ.

Two cities at the same longitude, ~86 degrees W. One is Central, one is Eastern. The cities are Nashville, TN and Indianapolis, IN. Essentially the two cities are in a straight line N/S of each other, yet they are in two distinct time zones. Sunset for both is within minutes of the same time, 6:50 pm EST today.

Where is the logic in that?

I grew up in the Central TZ, in western Iowa. Having the evening network news on at 5:30 pm and "prime time" TV from 7-10 pm seems "natural to me. I've lived in Indiana for over 30 years, but the Eastern TZ still feels foreign to me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This post is really not about DST, but it seems related and it's been discussed. It's about our placement in the Eastern TZ.

Two cities at the same longitude, ~86 degrees W. One is Central, one is Eastern. The cities are Nashville, TN and Indianapolis, IN. Essentially the two cities are in a straight line N/S of each other, yet they are in two distinct time zones. Sunset for both is within minutes of the same time, 6:50 pm EST today.

I grew up in the Central TZ, in western Iowa. Having the evening network news on at 5:30 pm and "prime time" TV from 7-10 pm seems "natural to me. I've lived in Indiana for over 30 years, but the Eastern TZ still feels foreign to me.
    Well at least this is a logical argument, using a country in the southern hemisphere is a little screwed up, that's a apple to oranges thing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I believe Daniels cited the loss of 2 billion in business revenue by not being on DST.

I would have to see his numbers, and what he based them on.
    I've seen project costs estimated very high, when we didn't want to do a project at work, and we wanted the project dropped. And then the "value" was estimated on the low end.
    Conversely, I've seen bosses estimate a job, and cut serious corners, to make the numbers look good so they could push through a project. The fact that we then ran into some serious expenditures afterward didn't matter to them.

And, people changing their clocks mean they spend more?
    How?
    And does that expenditure compensate for the extra accidents occurring. And the cost incurred for that.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

I read a long time ago the reason indiana is split is because some people wanted to be on the same time as the stock market opening. Im not sure thats factual but thats how i remember it.

Top Bottom