• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    But I still think that UTC would eventually be more convenient for everyone, but getting to that point would be as hard as converting the US to the metric system. It's just not gonna happen. Once you have a complicated system to deal with a complicated problem, it's complicated to change it, even if that means simplifying it. Y2K employed a **** ton of people and that was only to remove 2-character dates from various systems. Decoupling time zones from time tracking systems would be monumental.
    My best friend is a programmer, I remember 6 months prior to Y2K, it was sheer madness for him and the old company he used to work for to fix this issue.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My point is that the "dark at 5pm" a) doesn't actually happen, technically speaking, b) even as a general time range, is an issue for, at most, 2 1/2 months out of the year, and c) most importantly, is not mitigated by shifting clocks during the summer.
    Dark is a relative term. 20 minutes before sunset in the winter in Indiana is pretty dark and added to the fact that most winter days in Indiana have heavy cloud clover (61% of days on average).

In summer we don't need to shift the clocks. We don't need to shift them in winter either. We should just leave them on EDT 365 days a year.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Dark is a relative term. 20 minutes before sunset in the winter in Indiana is pretty dark and added to the fact that most winter days in Indiana have heavy cloud clover (61% of days on average).

In summer we don't need to shift the clocks. We don't need to shift them in winter either. We should just leave them on EDT 365 days a year.
    Why Eastern time? There is no reason to be two hours away from actual time.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    How about we have a consensus.....

We're all going to agree that we all disagree and just leave it at that.

Biotch to ourselves about it.

We as gunowners have bigger things we need to worry about than DST. :patriot::ingo:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

We as gunowners have bigger things we need to worry about than DST. :patriot::ingo:
    Are you sure? While I agree that we have more immediate concerns I see all of the above stemming from arbitrary and capricious acts of government exceeding its proper boundaries.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

You'll certainly get no argument from me regarding not shifting clocks. I am in the "pick a time and leave it" camp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Thank God one of you peoples see this for what it is. If and when we finally focus our attentions on the "REAL" problems we face and stop arguing about changing our GD clocks twice a year we might just gain some momentum.

Its a clock change. Woopie.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Awktuwally, I believe the current thinking is that time is discontinuous and quantized, so it would be quite real rather than a social construct
    What I should have said is "keeping of time". You know. Calendars. Clocks. Time zones. Whatever.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thank God one of you peoples see this for what it is. If and when we finally focus our attentions on the "REAL" problems we face and stop arguing about changing our GD clocks twice a year we might just gain some momentum.

Its a clock change. Woopie.
    We've been *****ing about changing clocks in this thread since 2014. 7 years! I guess it's almost an INGO semi-annual tradition. The discussion seems to be lingering a little longer than usual though. Probably people should take it a little less seriously. *****ing about it sure isn't going to change anything.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well it is a conversation that breaks along different lines than most on here so its an entertaining side show :)

Top Bottom