• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Isn't DST just the simplest way to change work schedules?

A golf course owner benefits greatly when sunset is 4 hours after the 5:00 pm workday rather than just 3. The golfer has time to get there and play a round, 3 is just not enough time for many working people.

With DST many of my friends can get home and do their chores, then get all their yard work done and leave their weekend open for other things.

That is but one example. Please don't tell me you cannot see that benefit...

There's a problem with this thinking. Every year right after DST takes affect, schools and parents start talking about changing the school starting time to an hour later, because having the little ones walking and catching buses is more dangerous with a delayed sunrise. If that would happen, the parents would push for their workplaces to delay the start time, to accommodate kids starting later.

So, all of society would change the workday/school start time, thereby totally erasing the benefit to golfers.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    can see why many people here don’t understand why everyone else has accepted it. You guys didn’t grow up with it. It’s not an institution to you.

Only kind of true. Indiana had DST up until the very early 60s. I remember asking my parents why they were changing all of the clocks when I was a toddler. They were unable to come up with a satisfactory answer.

Apparently, the legislature in the very early 60s realized how stupid and expensive it was, and did away with it. We didn't have it again until Mitch thought it would be profitable and smart it would be to bring it back.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK.
    Can we have 1 thread where we have a conversation. Please. This happy horse :poop: is wearing the staff out. We are all about to throw in the towel and let you numbskulls just have at it.

Lets have an experiment.
    I'm not sure what set off the mods this go-around. (Maybe there were some deleted posts I never saw?) I'm genuinely curious, since, in terms of INGO "drama", this thread is actually pretty tame - even if it feels like continuous beating of the proverbial dead horse.

If it is causing that much consternation for the mods, I'd have no problem unsubscribing/ignoring the thread.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If they proceed with the idea of making DST permanent, why not just move us to central time (and not honor DST) like many have been asking for? Same effect, right?

And if it doesnt change the solar time to back what the old "Eastern Time - Indiana" was, thats gonna wreak havoc in the IT community. Because if they leave the devices on Eastern Time with DST enabled, it wont be correct. Nor will just turning off the DST flag because that will be wrong in the reverse way. They'll have to change the device time zone to Central (and no DST) to make things work right.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not sure what set off the mods this go-around. (Maybe there were some deleted posts I never saw?) I'm genuinely curious, since, in terms of INGO "drama", this thread is actually pretty tame - even if it feels like continuous beating of the proverbial dead horse.

If it is causing that much consternation for the mods, I'd have no problem unsubscribing/ignoring the thread.

Probably receiving a hundred "report thread(s)", and PMs.
    Sort of like being stuck in a car with kids on a cross country trip and no TV

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Do as you wish but please do not question my motives as they are sound. The entire forum is ready for a fight way to often in way to many threads.
    Do as you will.

Just a note.....I have always enjoyed your views/opinions and how you express them agree with you or not.
    I read a lot. I see the Forum from a different angle so trust I am firm in my stance here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably receiving a hundred "report thread(s)", and PMs.
    Sort of like being stuck in a car with kids on a cross country trip and no TV
    This. Totally this. You peoples have zero idea what we see and read. It has been pretty endless since this crap election cycle got into full swing and now with the ammo situation.

So please do not start a post questioning my motives. Please.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Do as you wish but please do not question my motives as they are sound. The entire forum is ready for a fight way to often in way to many threads.
    Do as you will.

Just a note.....I have always enjoyed your views/opinions and how you express them agree with you or not.
    I read a lot. I see the Forum from a different angle so trust I am firm in my stance here.
    Certainly not questioning! I always try to be sensitive to not making mods' work harder (I've been in your shoes in other places).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...We are all about to throw in the towel and let you numbskulls just have at it.

Lets have an experiment.

Yes, an experiment.

There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin.

But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away.

iu

But seriously, I thought it had been relatively tame and fun in here as well ...this season. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, an experiment.

There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin.

But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away.

iu

But seriously, I thought it had been relatively tame and fun in here as well ...this season. :D
    ALL HAIL THE HUMUNGOUS.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I feel partly to blame for this spring's "episode". I couldn't manage to find this thread after the software change, so I got CM to find it for me and I resurrected it. I'm sorry.

1616008571156.png

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know, I said I was out, but I want to say I enjoy this thread a lot, I enjoy the folks that post here, it is so far from the life or death nature of many threads, it is just a fun debate.

I hope I did not post anything that offended any of you posting here.

See you in November...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If they proceed with the idea of making DST permanent, why not just move us to central time (and not honor DST) like many have been asking for? Same effect, right?

And if it doesnt change the solar time to back what the old "Eastern Time - Indiana" was, thats gonna wreak havoc in the IT community. Because if they leave the devices on Eastern Time with DST enabled, it wont be correct. Nor will just turning off the DST flag because that will be wrong in the reverse way. They'll have to change the device time zone to Central (and no DST) to make things work right.
    I've been in St Louis at 4 o clock in the winter.

In the dark.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

So, you're saying that twice a year IT would have to actually be useful? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom