• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not everyone in my social group goes to work early. My husband doesn't, and he doesn't like DST any more. Early start times are pretty common if you live and work where there's lots of manufacturing. Plenty of places start earlier than i do. (glad i don't work there)

If you look at the chart in the linked article though the before 6 am are about equal with the 10 am with the vast majority near 8 am.

"The majority of people, 55%, actually aren’t disrupted at all by DST. That was the finding of a Princeton Survey Research Associates International survey in 2017. Now, a healthy minority, 41%, said that they were at least a little disrupted by DST, but among all Americans only 13% said it was a major disruption."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So what is relevant for roughly 2.5 million active and reserve in the military is best for the general populous.
    Great argument fail, brought to you by the same people who pay thousands of dollars for individual hammers and toilet seats.

Also, just another statistical manipulation to fit a agenda. Because what is good for the guy beside you, is good for you also?
    Do you have concrete in your ears? This has nothing to do with the sleep habits of our military personnel. It is about most every one on the face of the planet, particularly the ones we happen to be bombing. My experience has proven to my satisfaction that this is correct.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I didn't enjoy it being dark again when I hit the road for my morning walk today, but the extremely stiff wind out of the east was worse than the position of the sun.

Anyhoo, I've been changing time my entire life. I moved from Michigan to NWI , both of which changed time. The fun part was when I started practicing law all over the state and we had to keep a chart of what places were the same time as NWI for 6 moths and an hour off the other 6 months. The somewhat emotional discussion that this engenders every year...in the rest of Indiana...is kind of amusing.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Had to send an email to my global team this morning. We operate in about 6 time zones daily. Some observe DST, and several do not. The most interesting is UDC+5:30, which does not observe DST.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you look at the chart in the linked article though the before 6 am are about equal with the 10 am with the vast majority near 8 am.

"The majority of people, 55%, actually aren’t disrupted at all by DST. That was the finding of a Princeton Survey Research Associates International survey in 2017. Now, a healthy minority, 41%, said that they were at least a little disrupted by DST, but among all Americans only 13% said it was a major disruption."

Let's forget about what time I got to work. My hours are a little flexible. Sometimes I take an hour or two of PTO so I can go in later. I do not like DST. It has nothing to do with the few minutes it takes to change clocks. I really think you are in the minority.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Let's forget about what time I got to work. My hours are a little flexible. Sometimes I take an hour or two of PTO so I can go in later. I do not like DST. It has nothing to do with the few minutes it takes to change clocks. I really think you are in the minority.
    After I show research data that shows when Americans go to work, polling data that shows only 13% are disrupted by DST, you believe based on what that the 87% are the minority?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    After I show research data that shows when Americans go to work, polling data that shows only 13% are disrupted by DST, you believe based on what that the 87% are the minority?

It's probably based on her current article trumping your 3 year old article (by the same author, no less) citing 4 year old data.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Human life has been attached since creation to operating during the daytime and sleeping during the night with emphasis on that perfect time when most people get their soundest sleep. [Miscreant] Daniels took that period of time away from people who do not have the luxury of working bankers' hours. This is a perfect example of the elitist attitude that if it's good for the chamber of commerce its good for everyone.

The only thing equally stupid that comes to mind is changing the format of our license plates for equally spurious reasons.

I suspect we're really not talking about the same things. I'm not making a defense of Daniels. Your beef seems to be that Daniels put us on EST/EDT and that messed up your schedule. That's a separate discussion than the one I thought I was having that didn't involve Daniels.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Don't most ball diamonds have lights anyway? I grew up near a Little League and Babe Ruth park, dark never stopped them. Dark never stopped us kids from catching lightning bugs, or going to the ice cream stand in the back of dad's truck.
    Come to think of it, dark was fun when i was a kid. It cooled off. Swimming at night is fun. Watching bats swoop around, owls, and big moths, and other critters that only come out at night. Playing ditches, flashlight tag, and other games. :)

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You both posted links from CNN. Those two links pretty much said the opposite things. So why is hers less valid than yours? :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you have concrete in your ears? This has nothing to do with the sleep habits of our military personnel. It is about most every one on the face of the planet, particularly the ones we happen to be bombing. My experience has proven to my satisfaction that this is correct.
    You know what, I'm done with it. "I" was fine with it back when we was on the same time year round and I'm fine with it now.
    My only issue was back at my old beer hauling job, it affected my job start/end times.

I'm not one of the masses crying and biotching about it and letting something as simple as this consume me.

I go to sleep a half hour earlier/later depending on whether it's spring forward/fall back for at least a week before it changes, my body has no issues.
    I installed room darkening blinds if I had to go to sleep earlier than usual if I had to be at work at 3am instead of 6am.

I did enjoy having the extra hour of daylight to do things like mow the yard and things around the house because I was working 14-16 hour days. But that's a mute point now since I've not been able to work for the last 3 years because of health issues. But I still enjoy the extra hour.

And for your information, NO, I do not have concrete in my ears, but I do have a headache, and that headache is not from a time change. Maybe it might be from people who can't deal with change, I don't know, and I don't give two :poop: :poop:'s about it anymore.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Indeed so. I figured my original reference was clear enough given that Brazil South America is not North of Owensboro.
    On a side note: Brazil used to have some of the best pizza, anywhere. RIP, Sweet Lou's Pizzeria. You made college that much better.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Isn't DST just the simplest way to change work schedules?

A golf course owner benefits greatly when sunset is 4 hours after the 5:00 pm workday rather than just 3. The golfer has time to get there and play a round, 3 is just not enough time for many working people.

With DST many of my friends can get home and do their chores, then get all their yard work done and leave their weekend open for other things.

That is but one example. Please don't tell me you cannot see that benefit...
    Golf courses could also install lights.

Most yard work doesn't require full sunlight. Mowing can be done in the dark, most of the time. (And, again: house lights, floodlights, lawnmower headlights...)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well, the sun rose today like it always does each day.

There was no nuclear war.

There was no riots because of it.

Buildings were not burnt down to the ground because of it.

Life continued on as it has with nary a burp, and the earth continued to spin on it's axis and not out of control and end up colliding with the moon.

I did over the last two weeks what I have done since Indiana went on DST, that is going to bed a mere half hour earlier (or later), getting my normal amount of sleep and awakening at the appropriate time.

There was no inconvenience to me, I did not fret that world was going to end at 2am this morning.

My dog didn't mind either because I changed his feeding schedule a half hour 2 weeks ago.

Studies about DST time change are just like all other studies. Data is gathered and then manipulated to fit the agenda.

It's a hour folks, if more people on here worried about our 2A rights like they fret on DST time changes then things might look a little different.
    (Yes I did mention the 2A, because, you know, this is a gun forum.)

Me and my dog are now going to enjoy the rest of the evening. That is all, continue with the craziness.
    There were, literally, NO Uber drivers available at 6:30AM yesterday morning. I ended up having to drive myself to the airport, and came close to risking missing my flight. I assume the lack of drivers (at a time at which I can always find drivers, given my intentional proximity to the airport) is directly attributable to the stupid clock-changing overnight.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Except DST has been accepted as a fixture of American life for many decades. Timekeeping is one of those things that don’t work well with individual choice. We all either do this or we all do that. Even if you decide not to change your clocks, okay, fine. But you’re still having to do the conversion to make your schedule compatible with work or school or your dentist, or whoever.

I think a better answer is to go with UTC. But that takes societal agreement to become the new timekeeping institution. But we don’t tend to switch institutional things to “better”. They just, either evolve into whatever, or there is some revolution that comes along and paradigms change.

If you want this one to change maybe the woke people will agree with you as their revolution completes and they decide that DST is racist, homophobic, transphobic, invented by white men to oppress the poor.
    I think they've gone past the need for synchronization - being expected to be on time is racist. 'Their time' is only a short step from 'their truth'

Top Bottom