• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    So I braved the snow yesterday because I really had the itch to shoot a new gun I had recently bought, and as I'm walking in there was a couple coming in behind me. We were the only ones there and it quickly became apparent that this was their first time to the range, and possibly ever shooting. I didn't want to step on their toes or seem over zealous in trying to help them, but when the guy picked up his gun and started shooting it angled with one hand I felt it was The Lord telling me it was time to introduce myself. After a short conversation with them, I found out that they had bought guns for the first time ever at the Seymour show and wanted to start shooting. They had no knowledge outside of what they had seen online. I spent the next hour or two helping teach them about proper gun handling, range manners, etc...they thanked me and I felt great being able to teach them a bit about what has been a great past time for me. I grew up hunting and shooting and learned everything from my dad as he had from his before, but I know that everyone is not as fortunate as me. I know that many get discouraged at this stage of shooting or that they build poor habits that are hard to break later on...I wish there was a free program in areas that gave a once per person course on proper handing and technique and I think it would make more people inclined to join our causes. I know I'll be contacting the NRA for possible classes for fees, so that I am able to provide more direction to people again in the future.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There is such a program. It's called the "First Shots" program, and I know all about it because I teach it!

I teach it at,
    Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700
    Open 7 days a week

First-Shots are sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).
    It's completely free of charge. Even the firearms are supplied (Ruger Mark III).

It's taught on the 2nd Saturday of each month.
    You need to call to reserve a place in a class. Class sizes are limited. Generally 3 classes per Saturday.

It's a great program. I have as much fun teaching it as the people do learning. I've put my 74 year old mother through the class, I've taught 7 year old kids, and every age in between.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    There are currently many new shooters buying firearms. The only good thing right now is they cannot yet find ammo. I think this spring and summer we will see a lot of new shooters at the range and I hope there are many more people like you who instead of insulting them behind their backs and avoiding them will be kind enough to offer help and give some pointers. It will make everybody's day much safer. +1 for you

SRR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Commiefornia
    So I braved the snow yesterday because I really had the itch to shoot a new gun I had recently bought, and as I'm walking in there was a couple coming in behind me. We were the only ones there and it quickly became apparent that this was their first time to the range, and possibly ever shooting. I didn't want to step on their toes or seem over zealous in trying to help them, but when the guy picked up his gun and started shooting it angled with one hand I felt it was The Lord telling me it was time to introduce myself. After a short conversation with them, I found out that they had bought guns for the first time ever at the Seymour show and wanted to start shooting. They had no knowledge outside of what they had seen online. I spent the next hour or two helping teach them about proper gun handling, range manners, etc...they thanked me and I felt great being able to teach them a bit about what has been a great past time for me. I grew up hunting and shooting and learned everything from my dad as he had from his before, but I know that everyone is not as fortunate as me. I know that many get discouraged at this stage of shooting or that they build poor habits that are hard to break later on...I wish there was a free program in areas that gave a once per person course on proper handing and technique and I think it would make more people inclined to join our causes. I know I'll be contacting the NRA for possible classes for fees, so that I am able to provide more direction to people again in the future.

Great job, I am not the most experience shooter and I appreciate it when I get pointers from fellow shooters.

DMBFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Boonville,IN
    That is a great story and I bet you feel great about it. I, on the otherhand, have zero patience to teach others. I guess I am lucky that I have 70 acres of private land to shoot on and don't have to worry about others being around me.

Top Bottom