• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Well, maybe I should have been more direct. But the guy didn't seem to listen anyway. I didn't stick around to see what happened. It was interesting.
    Likewise for the old timer that kept separating the necks on his old reloaded rifle ammo. Entertaining and interesting day.

I was sighting in a rifle scope, should have stuck with just one brand of ammo, but that's another story.

Near the end of my session, a noobe (in all appearances) shows up with a "new" Mosin Nagant M91-30 that he had bought at a local shop. It was in fair condition: stock was a bit beat up, rusty grease in the receiver and on the bolt. I looked into the receiver and it had a lot more of the rusty grease in the chamber. It looked like it needed a GOOD cleaning. Looked kinda like vaseline had been run all over the parts after all the cosmo had been semi cleaned out. Looked like crap. Asked him how much he paid for it and he said about $110, and was happy with the price. (I'd done a LOT better in condition on the internet. About even on price after transfer fees.) But, he was happy with it.
    I had commented that you needed to really clean out those surplus military rifles to get all the cosmo out. He just nodded and agreed. I thought he was there showing it to the other guy that was also shooting the 100yd range. They other guy showed him how to do the quick and dirty check of the bore/muzzle with a round to see the wear on the muzzle.
    Well, rain started coming in (common this month!) so I packed it up.

The guy seemed determined to shoot that rifle, no matter what the condition of it. He stayed for the rain to stop. I dunno, I tried to tell him that it was dirty as hell. But he had a box of Russian ammo to try out on it. I even told him that if he had trouble extracting the bullet, he needed to clean out the bore better. He just seemed to nod and agree.

Don't know what happened after I left, wouldn't doubt that he had to use a cleaning rod (if he had a kit with him) to knock a spent cartridge out of chamber after it stuck. That chamber looked pretty cruddy with grease and rusty crap when I looked at it.
    Maybe the smokeless powder gods smiled on him and nothing happened. Just hope he has a good cleaning kit and barrel degreaser cuz he was gonna need it! Doubt if he is smart enough to use ammonia water on the barrel after shooting any corrosive ammo.
    Best situation will be if he can't hit sh*t with it and chalks it up as a bad buy and gets rid of it. :dunno:

Like I said, interesting day at the range..... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom