• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    For the past decade or so I've been issued my weapons or had a very strict list of approved firearms. I'm starting a new job in about a month that is all stateside and is a lot more relaxed in its approval list.

9mm, .40 or .45. DAO or DA/SA with a decocker. No wheel guns, no SA only (which sucks, I thought I was going to be able to carry my 1911 again). No restrictions on mag size or barrel length but must be reasonably concealable under a sport coat/business suit. Belt or shoulder holster is fine. Approved manufacturers are Glock, H&K, Sig, S&W, and Springfield.

Right now the only thing I own that fits the bill is a Glock 22, and it runs fine but I've never been in love with it. Mostly because of the trigger, it fits my hand fine and is combat accurate.

I've carried a Beretta M9 for about 5 years total, and it fit my hand great (I'm on the larger side with my mitts), but I never liked the forward rocking safety.

I lean toward .45ACP, and can spend up to $1k. I'm also terminally cheap and would rather not spend the full $1k.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I personally prefer DA/SA over DAO as the SA trigger pull is much nicer than a DA pull. This is coming from relatively low amounts of experience as I just recently got into handguns.

That said, I have a Beretta as my main handgun similarly to how you have been. If you really liked the Beretta, give SIG a look. They too have metal frames and seem to be well liked by those who use Berettas.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    If you really like the Beretta with the exception of the safety you may look into finding a G model 92/96. Their not currently made as far as I know but you can pick up nice police trade in guns. They also have the Elite models which have the decock only feature. G model guns have no manual safety. I love mine.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    If you really like the Beretta with the exception of the safety you may look into finding a G model 92/96. Their not currently made as far as I know but you can pick up nice police trade in guns. They also have the Elite models which have the decock only feature. G model guns have no manual safety. I love mine.

Employer says no on Beretta. I think because of reputation of failure to feed overseas, which was more of a magazine issue with lousy followers sticking due to sand. Probably unfair, but them's the rules.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Staying within your list, budget and feeling about the Glock I'd recommend a S&W M&P .45. I don't know if they offer a Pro in .45 but if they do I'd go that route. The trigger on the Pro models is pretty respectable for a DAO and the backstrap option allows you to fit the pistol to your hand.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I personally prefer DA/SA over DAO as the SA trigger pull is much nicer than a DA pull. This is coming from relatively low amounts of experience as I just recently got into handguns.

That said, I have a Beretta as my main handgun similarly to how you have been. If you really liked the Beretta, give SIG a look. They too have metal frames and seem to be well liked by those who use Berettas.

I've shot a P220 in 9mm many years ago, and from what I remember it was a fine pistol. NCIS was carrying the P228, IIRC, and although I never shot one they looked like quality pieces. What's a good SIG in .45?

*edit*
    Ah, the magic of Google tells me that the P220 is available in .45. Might have to check into that.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Go with HK45 or P30 or HK USP45C....cant go wrong with HK... they will run...the ergos of the newer models (P30, HK45) are awsome. Wont find many people that say a HK wont run...it's what I protect myself with (pistol wise anyway) and the P30 disapears pretty nice. I'm bias though, can you tell?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If you can spend the coin, a H K is hard to beat. Astounding firearms. I like and carry Glocks, but the Sig lines of guns is also a winner.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    Go with HK45 or P30 or HK USP45C....cant go wrong with HK... they will run...the ergos of the newer models (P30, HK45) are awsome. Wont find many people that say a HK wont run...it's what I protect myself with (pistol wise anyway) and the P30 disapears pretty nice. I'm bias though, can you tell?

What he said^^^^
    H&K P30 fits all your requirements...highly recommended.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    From the list, and your preference in calibre, I would look at the Sig 220, or the Smith M&P. Both have a solid reputation, and me having big hands, both fit me well. The two biggest differences that I would look at in them is the Sig is a metal frame, the Smith holds a few extra rounds(in the full size). Weight between the two looks to be negligible according to the manufactures web sights.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    P30 doesn't come in .45? I'm looking at the web site, and don't see one.

What's the difference between the USP in .45 and the HK45?

As for Sig, I see some reviews saying the older German built P220 are better than the new US built, but no one is saying exactly why. Why?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

As for Sig, I see some reviews saying the older German built P220 are better than the new US built, but no one is saying exactly why. Why?

Sig quality has suffered in the last few years. I wouldn't buy an H&K, not because they don't build a great pistol but because should you ever need parts you are out of luck. They could care less about anyone but the military.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012

The USP is the older style basically... I recently sold my Hk45 and opted to keep my USP 45. I like the feel of the 2x4 though... The Hk45 and the P30 were designed to feel better in people's hands. They are more oval in shape like a 1911 with finger gooves. I like the way the USP shoots also. They do recoil differently. I would say go with the USP personally, and the only reason to go to the Hk45, would be if you didn't like the way the grip felt. One or the other will fit your hand nicely.

You can't argue with Hk's reliability either, hands down one of the best firearms on the market, they go boom every time.
    Sig quality has suffered in the last few years. I wouldn't buy an H&K, not because they don't build a great pistol but because should you ever need parts you are out of luck. They could care less about anyone but the military.
    This is an untrue statement about Hk. Hk's have a lot of parts on the market actually. You can go to Hkparts.net and pretty much find anything that you want readily available, there are also a few other sites that carry lots of Hk parts. Also, I have never had any problems getting anything from Hk. Travis has actually given me quite a few free parts (catch's, pins). If anything, I would say that their customer service is stellar.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Perhaps my experience is dated and they have improved their customer service. When I was carrying a USP they would never answer the phone and if they did it was usually a waste of time talking to them, they were of little help.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have fired Glocks, Sprinfields, Smiths, Sigs, etc. I prefer my FNP over all of them, and they make an FNP in .45. That's my opinion though.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    I would put my vote in for an HK P30 in either 9mm or .40 cal. It isnt like the other HKs and is the most ergonomic and well fitting handgun I have ever held. That is why I have them both ! They shoot great, have nitesights, adjustable grips and have never failed. Decocker is next to hammer and they are a nice gun to CC.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I have fired Glocks, Sprinfields, Smiths, Sigs, etc. I prefer my FNP over all of them, and they make an FNP in .45. That's my opinion though.

FN isn't on the list.

Any specific thing? I mean, certain brands of AKs used to sometimes have canted front sight posts, so you knew to look for that and if they were straight the rest of the gun was probably solid. Does SIG have a particular issue I can look for or is just an over all decline?

I'm going to go poke around at the H&K and the SIG line up when I get a chance. If I don't find a .45 I like I'll probably stick with the Glock I already own. 9mm would add another caliber to stock for my collection and it'd have to be pretty impressive for me to add another DAO .40.

Top Bottom