• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I went to a gun auction last night. Main interest was a Remington 870 12ga my boy was in love with. I got it!!! I too got something I no intentions on buying.

This unintentionally purchased firearm is a Springfield 1884 trap door 45/70. My wife, cool about it, asks were you going for that? No, I have no idea why I got it. I kinda slipped into a hypnotized trance by the speed talking of the auctioneer and reluctantly raised my hand. It was very odd and scary.

So, INGO what kind of ammo do I need for this bad boy? I was watching hickcock45 and he was shooting black powder loads and smokeless loads, just reduced power. I'm figuring on loading up some of each and looking for suggestions as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    BP stuff is the safest bet and use soft lead cast bullets. There is a lot of good smokeless info out there that works as well. I would give the gun a really good cleaning and inspect the bore to get an idea where you are starting.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Congrats on your unintended purchase. I have a 1880 Springfield trapdoor carbine. I have made reduced power smokeless loads for it. No issues whatsoever. You can also use Shooters World black which is a black powder substitute. You can also make low, low power rounds with it.

These guys are in Ohio I believe and they make a pretty good trapdoor safe load.

I use IMR 4895 for reduced TD safe loads. I cast my own 405 grain bullets out of soft pure lead, which is what they used in the 1800s. It shoots pretty well.

20240418_144316.jpg

I have a collection of 45-70 guns. Not shown as a Marlin lever action. The bottom one is actually a paper cartridge 54 caliber Calvary carbine

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I went to a gun auction last night. Main interest was a Remington 870 12ga my boy was in love with. I got it!!! I too got something I no intentions on buying.

This unintentionally purchased firearm is a Springfield 1884 trap door 45/70. My wife, cool about it, asks were you going for that? No, I have no idea why I got it. I kinda slipped into a hypnotized trance by the speed talking of the auctioneer and reluctantly raised my hand. It was very odd and scary.

So, INGO what kind of ammo do I need for this bad boy? I was watching hickcock45 and he was shooting black powder loads and smokeless loads, just reduced power. I'm figuring on loading up some of each and looking for suggestions as well.
    No jacketed bullets (Soft Point or otherwise)
    Black powder 45/70 or something that states its trap door safe.

Steinel has what you need.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Don't tell me, there's a buffalo infestation around Bedford? :runaway:
    BedfordInfestation.jpg

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    Auctions are like that. Not sure how many things I have either purchased that I had no reason to, or overpaid because I am stubborn and don't like being beat out on anything. I once paid 30 bucks for a used rod and reel that I could have bought brand new for 28.99 at Walmart.

Top Bottom