• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    With my taxes coming soon, I have money to buy my first pistol. Yes first pistol. I've shot .45 before but never 9mm. I know the 9 will have less recoil. But im also wanting this for a first line defense at home...till I get to the shotgun. How's the recoil on the DW guardian 45? Reason is for my girlfriend to be able to handle it and not be afraid. Any info/pics will help a lot. 9 or 45.

I think finding one is the hard part.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I have a guardian in 9MM and it is the sweetest shooting 1911 I have. We do a Thanksgiving day shoot and have a lot of people who only handle firearms that day, no one has ever set "Dan" down without a smile on their face.:)
    picture.php

Last edited:

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    If you like the 1911 platform, Dan Wessons are excellent quality guns. It is not possible though to predict how your girlfriend is going to react to the recoil of one. Only one way to find out.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    the 1911 in 9mm is a delight to shoot!

A full size steel frame 1911 does a very good job of absorbing recoil and is an easier gun to shoot than most people who have not shot one think. A Dan Wesson Guardian is a commander length, so it is lighter than a full size, and it is also an alloy frame, making it even lighter yet, which is going to mean more felt recoil. Like I said above, whether it is too much recoil for your girlfriend is something she is going to have to pull the trigger on one to find out.

On recoil management in general, small people with good technique can and do shoot big guns. With a proper grip, stance, etc...your girlfriend could most likely shoot the Guardian, one of my sons was shooting my .44 mag before he hit 100 pounds. I am only 5'9" and 150, i've shot 500 S&W revolvers and have a collection of .30 caliber steel but plate mil-surp rifles that I shoot all the time, 12ga slug, whatever, with good form it can be done. Don't just hand her the gun and tell her to pull the trigger, either you show her how to do it right, or find someone who can.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Didn't mean to come off sounding quite so stern, getting old and grumpy.

Please, show her how to do it right or find someone who can. :D

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Lol, I didn't take that offensive one bit. Don't be sorry. She's in good hands on being taught. If not me then the other family shooters will! Thank you for the info!

Top Bottom