• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Yesterday I went to the gun shop, took my 4 yr old little girl with me. After a few minutes she started to warm up and every gun we walked by her reply was WOW daddy look at that gun :):. By the time we were ready to leave, she all ready had her gun picked out, S&W M&P 15 22 in pink camo. Was a great day for both of us.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    That's great. I have a one year old daughter that I hope is that way one day. My five year old son will ready my gun magazines. He'll point to a gun he likes and ask "Dad, do you have one of these?" If the answer is no, then he always yells "Then you should buy one." My wife just rolls her eyes.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought my 4 year old daughter a bb gun for christmas. She said she can't have it because she would hurt her self... I was kinda sad but at least she listens to me about not touching guns... I guess I'll have to wait a couple more years...

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    I seen them at the shop, she was so excited, pointing, and smiling ear to ear. Still not sure how OP produced a little girl that cute though! Just messing spurlock!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I bought my 4 year old daughter a bb gun for christmas. She said she can't have it because she would hurt her self... I was kinda sad but at least she listens to me about not touching guns... I guess I'll have to wait a couple more years...

Are you sure she is the one that thought that or might she just be repeating what she heard someone tell her?

Make it clear to her that the gun is safe but she is only allowed to use it with your direct supervison. Teach her the big 4 rules and how to use it safely.

Don't force it on her, but make it such that she feels like she is might be missing something if she doesn't want to shoot it with you.

My son is almost 5 and I bought him his first bb gun and air soft gun this year. He likes guns, but does not shoot them with me all that often. He is really getting the hang of the bb gun. Actually almost shot a bulls-eye at 20 feet! I also let him take a shot with my Ruger Mark II with me helping to hold it. He loved that!

Mark

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie

My 15yo girl was like that until this last birthday, when I got her a pair of cheapo airsoft pistols, and gave her safe usage instruction. I think it was the noise that put her off of firearms, but now she's wanting her own rifle, and range trips :) I'll get her a 10/22 for her birthday probably, with camo stock. She's all about the realtree camo, now.

My 13yo is still leery around guns, and that's fine with me. Better cautious and safe, then eager and dangerous. Same with knives. I don't want to force the issue, as if she's nervous and hurts herself, it'll be the impression that sticks with her for a long long time.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Watch out. Next thing you know they'lll be in their twenties and you'll be buying supressors and having revolvers done in pink just so you know, "daddy's little girls" will be wickedly proficient and able to take care of themselves long after you've gone on to other planes
    )

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    That's awfully sweet. I'm glad that she had a nice time with you at the gun shop. It's always nice when you can get your kids interested in things you enjoy.

-Aaron

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Good for you and your daughter. I hope that you bought the rifle, and didn't just leave it as an academic exercise of what-ifs.

I believe in starting children at a very young age, when it comes to firearms, if you are going to have firearms in the home anyway. They need to have training as though they are young adults and they need to learn to appreciate the deadly potential of firearms. All of my children know firearm safety, and they all own firearms... Even my 7-year old daughter. My oldest son (26) has a larger collection than dad, my youngest son (22) has a nice collection and whatever Uncle Sam issues him, my oldest daughter (20) has her own handgun, and my youngest daughter (7) has had a rifle since age five. All of them have their LTCH, except for my 7-year old of course. I also forbid toy guns in the house, as this can be a real point of confusion... Guns are not toys, PERIOD.

My daughter at age 5 with her first Crickett .22 rifle:
    mayacricketye0.jpg

My daughter, now age 7, with her latest rifle... She's such a sniper :D :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDgSkZJkH0k
    You should have seen my little girl walk a golf ball from 25 to 50 yards with four consecutive shots last weekend... It was a thing of beauty!

Remember to teach them gun safety, and teach them young, before the bad habits and misconceptions set in.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    CB caps and cut down trainer with 2.5X Weaver on bipods. My kid was shooting at around age 4.

Doesn't seem that long ago............ * sniffle *

Heck, I remember Mary Lengel (sweet lady) asking to hold her as an infant while my buddy Dan and I shopped.

(drug my kids everywhere with me :)

Went to Bass n Bucks with me last week!

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    My 3yr old son and I were at a local gun shop just this past summer and I was digging through the pile of M91/30 Mosin Nagants the shop had just got in . Well my son was getting kinda bored at first but when I found a rifle that caught my eye I pulled the bolt to look through the chamber and down the barrel he got excited and wanted to look down through it also so I had him look down the barrel a few times to explain what he and I were looking at and after I finished looking at the rest of the rifles he wanted to look down a few of the other rifles in the store that were in the sales racks so we spent about a half hour looking down the barrels of about 20 more rifles and shotguns ! That was a great day because he also spotted a Thompson HotShot .22 Kids rifle that from what he said was little like him so I walked out of the shop with 2 guns that day and a big smile on my face.

manygunsmike

gaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    wabash county
    That is great. My daughter has always been interested in guns. She is now 23, married to a police officer, and has her carrying permit. So it has all paid off.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Reminds me of the day I bought my little girl a pony. I brought it home and showed my wife what I had gotten our new little bundle of joy. Of course all my wife saw at first was a black rifle so I had to flip it over and show her the Colt sign. She kinda gave me that "wife" look and I said it's for when my little girl starts to date, and that's every daddy's right.

Speaking of guns for kids, have any of you seen the stoeger youth sized side by side 410 shotguns? I saw one of those about two weeks ago and just about bought it for my son. He just turned 6 months old, but it'd give him something to look forward to. I made the mistake of mentioning that in front of my wife and she gave me the "wife" look again, oh well.

Top Bottom