• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've done a lot of reading and I've narrowed it down to two: the CZ 75 9mm and the Sig P226 9mm. I want to get the .22 LR adapter for each. Which would you all recommend? I've shopped around and I can get them for about the same price with the .22 adapter (Sig a little more $).

I'm curious about reliability, ease of take down for cleaning, accuracy and anything else you can offer.

Thanks for your input.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Both are fine weapons. Both designs are well proven (the SIG as itself, the CZ as a variant of the Browning Hi-Power). I think in this case I would go with the one that fits your preferred manual of arms. The SIG if you like no external safety, decocker style pistols; the CZ if you prefer cocked and locked (although if you do prefer that style, you might actually want to consider the Hi-Power, too)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've done a lot of reading and I've narrowed it down to two: the CZ 75 9mm and the Sig P226 9mm. I want to get the .22 LR adapter for each. Which would you all recommend? I've shopped around and I can get them for about the same price with the .22 adapter (Sig a little more $).

I'm curious about reliability, ease of take down for cleaning, accuracy and anything else you can offer.

Thanks for your input.
    I have owned both. I still own the CZ (actually I own a whole bunch of them) and also have one with the 22lr Kadet conversion kit.

Reliability of the CZ 75 pistols is 100%. They simply don't fail. Accuracy is also astounding. The 22lr conversion kit for the CZ works pretty well, I have the occasional failure to feed or failure to eject. Seems to work best with premium 22lr ammo and also works better when its well oiled.

CZ 75s are NOT a variant of the Browning HP but many believe that to be the case. In fact its a whole new design, but its grip very much resembles an improved HP grip so that is why the two guns are so often compared. Its often said (incorrectly) that the CZ is simply a Double Action version of the HP. I frequently say its like an improved DA version of the HP. The reality is it is not, it is its own design. But the comparison is easy to make and easy to understand and based on looks alone.

The CZ can be had in many models. Double Action/Single Action/Thumb Safety. Single Action Only. DA/SA/Decocker.

The Sig is also 100% reliable, at least mine was. I never liked the grips on the Sigs and that is why I don't own one. I've shot several others and can't say anything bad about the guns, they are excellent guns, they simply just don't fit my hands.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    had both a CZ 75 (SP01 Shadow version) and a very nice Sig P226ST with all the bells and whistles (SRT, action job, the works)

They were both fantastic guns, but the CZ has a better trigger and I shot it better. So the Sig got traded for another Shadow.

As to your specific points of inquiry:

reliability
    I've put over 5000rnds through the CZs (4k through 1, about 1k through the newest one). A typical range session is minimum 150rds for competitions, anywhere from 2-600 in practices sessions. I've done a few matches in the rain, so the gun would be wet, and mags would be cruddy from being dropped in the mud/gravel, but it ran and ran.
    No gun related malfunctions to speak of with either of my CZs.

I only put about 1k through the Sig, same thing. Perfectly reliable.

ease of take down for cleaning,
    Edge to the Sig. Lock the slide back, ensure it's clear, rotate the takedown lever, release slide. Done.

The CZ requires you to pull the slide slightly back and then use a mag or a tool to push out the slide stop lever.

It's really not a huge difference, and shouldn't be a deal breaker though. We're talking 10 seconds to field strip the Sig v. 15 to field strip the CZ.

accuracy
    They're both more accurate in my hands than the plastic wonder guns. If you were to lock them down in a ransom rest, I'd predict the Sig would be just a smidgen more accurate. However, because the CZ trigger, at least on my Shadow, is quite a bit better, the CZ is more practically accurate in my hands.

The CZ tends to fit more people, because it does have a significantly smaller grip than the 226. Granted, you can get a short trigger and some thinner grips that help out some on the Sig, but it's still going to be a bigger grip than the CZ, for which you can also get thin grips. If the CZ is too big for you with the thin aluminum grips, you're most likely a 5-year old girl.

The Sig had a little more slop in frame-slide fit than the CZ, but not much. Again, either one is tighter than the plastic wonder guns.

Sight options are better for the Sig. They're somewhat limited for the CZ. I love the Warren tactical sights personally, and had them on the Sig, but you can't get them for a CZ sadly. Everyone and their mom makes night sights for Sigs, not for the CZ.

They both are great guns, and I doubt you'll go wrong with either one.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    CZ 75s are NOT a variant of the Browning HP but many believe that to be the case. In fact its a whole new design, but its grip very much resembles an improved HP grip so that is why the two guns are so often compared.

I didn't know this. I always learn something on this forum!

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    I have looked at both and I think the cz 75 will be my next new gun. I haven"t found anything wrong with the sigs, I just like the cz better. Have fun looking .

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'll have to add my recommendation for the CZ. I have the 75b SA and it has been fantastic so far, and its quite accurate for me, a fairly new shooter. And if you are talking new guns, there can be quite a price difference obviously. I guess it really comes down to grip comfort and what visually appeals to you I suppose. CZ accessories aren't quite as plentiful as stuff for SIGS though.

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm really leaning towards the CZ 75. I've heard nothing but great things. Just got to find one for the right price.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Me personally, CZ75. I regret selling mine, but it was manual safety only, something I will not have on my carry guns. I owned a 229 for a short time and really was not impressed.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    CZ 75s are NOT a variant of the Browning HP but many believe that to be the case. In fact its a whole new design, but its grip very much resembles an improved HP grip so that is why the two guns are so often compared. Its often said (incorrectly) that the CZ is simply a Double Action version of the HP. I frequently say its like an improved DA version of the HP. The reality is it is not, it is its own design. But the comparison is easy to make and easy to understand and based on looks alone.

Well put. I always tell people the only thing they have in common is feel, pointability, and ammo. I think they are both the top 9mm designs out there. I love my w german p226 but as far as pointability and feel the BHP or the CZ75B seem to have the edge.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I have had both. I sold my Sig because it just didn't fit my hand right. I love my CZ. It is the best pistol for me that I have owned. Also for the price difference between the two, you can get the CZ, holster and ammo for the price of the Sig

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So the question is....where do you get one? I too am looking for a CZ 75B. I strongly prefer to actually see and feel the gun I am buying. With that in mind, who sells them new?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    So the question is....where do you get one? I too am looking for a CZ 75B. I strongly prefer to actually see and feel the gun I am buying. With that in mind, who sells them new?

I saw a beautiful stainless model, quite fairly priced no less, at Plainfield shooting supply. They might have the blued version, but the stainless was the one that caught my eye. I'm sure he could order the blued.

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    some other considerations...

Now I'm starting to rethink the whole thing. I got to hold a Ruger SR9 the other day at the local shop and it felt great in my hand. I've heard good things about the SR9 as well. Might have to look into that...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If anyone is still looking for a CZ75 Bradis has one. Also Guns and Ordnance in Martinsville has one too. Im telling you this bc i cant afford it right now :D

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    midwest gun exchange in mishawaka has them. best gun shop and lowest prices around. very comparible to buds

Top Bottom