• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Walked into an LGS last week at the perfect time. Owner had just taken some rifles on consignment including a like new CZ 452 Varmint. Excellent condition overall and came with a 5 round mag, 2 extra 10 round mags, a Tasco 6-24 scope and a full brick of Wolf Match Target (score!). I used to have a similar model and got rid of it. Missed it since and, as they no longer make the 452 Varmint, it has been hard to find another. Got it out to the range Sunday and tried it out.

The scope was almost dead on for me with only a 3/4" adjustment needed for windage. I then shot several three shot groups at 50 yards. All were under a half inch with the best group shown below. Yes, one ragged hole.

I then started plinking at clay pigeon fragments at 100 yards. found the drop was about 6" and with that hold was shattering the small fragments. This is probably the most accurate rimfire package I have shot in a long time. Also, I forgot how relaxing and fun slowly shooting 20-25 rounds at paper could be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They are indeed amazing shooters!!

The one I used to have had a trigger job done on it. Very light indeed.

Now get that sucker threaded and throw a suppressor on it. :D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The one I used to have had a trigger job done on it. Very light indeed.

True, I normally have been happy with CZ triggers. This one was pretty crisp with just a little take-up but it could be a tad lighter.

Now get that sucker threaded and throw a suppressor on it. :D

I have a 452 American with a 16" threaded barrel for that :)

I have been very lucky CZ wise lately. Couple weeks ago I walked into Whittakers and found a used 452 Ultra Lux for under $350. A few handling marks but otherwise excellent. The Varmint package was $400 but the extra mags would run $60, another $60-$75 for the match ammo and the scope is $90 new from midway. So I figure I got the Varmint for a cost basis of around $225.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I shoot my 452 varmint more than any other gun I own. I bought a 452 military trainer for my daughter the week after she was born when I heard they were discontinuing them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    How much different is the 455 vs. the 452?

There are several small differences such as the number of action screws, etc. The biggest difference is the barrel on the 455 is pressed in, a cheaper process allowing multi barrel packages, while the 452 is threaded into the action, a more refined and expensive process.

All of the newer 455 models I have seen have also had cheaper plastic adjustable rear sights instead of the solid metal tangent sights of the 452. The 452 front sight was adjustable for elevation as well, don't know about the 455. see link

CZ 452 American vs. CZ 455 American (pic heavy) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There are several small differences such as the number of action screws, etc. The biggest difference is the barrel on the 455 is pressed in, a cheaper process allowing multi barrel packages, while the 452 is threaded into the action, a more refined and expensive process.

All of the newer 455 models I have seen have also had cheaper plastic adjustable rear sights instead of the solid metal tangent sights of the 452. The 452 front sight was adjustable for elevation as well, don't know about the 455. see

The 455 is a switch bbl rifle
    , ala the Sako quad. Magazine well is sized accordingly and lr mags will have a spacer in them. Bbls are available in .22 lr, .22 WMR, and .17 HMR. .17 Mach2 can be had from some one like Lilja. I'm unsure if it is available in that caliber from the factory. All the 455 rifles have 2 action screws -vs- the 1 action screw and one screw into a block dovetailed into the barrel on most of the 452 models. The American being the notable 452 exception with 2 action screws. Any questions can be answered authoritatively by the CZ forum on Rimfire Central.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nothing you say contradicts what I posted. The pressed in barrel is what allows it to be switched out. Thank you for adding some additional information such as a screw count. Yes, I clearly phrased my reply to reflect my opinion of the 452 vs the 455 as did you with your Sako comparison. But that is opinion, not erroneous information.

BTW, the spacer/adapter to convert to .22lr use goes in the mag well, not the magazine, as you imply.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    All the 452s I have seen were surprisingly accurate, but their bolts; safeties; triggers are tough to take. McMillan inletting a couple of patterns for the action mitigates that enough to make it worth while.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Nothing you say contradicts what I posted. The pressed in barrel is what allows it to be switched out. Thank you for adding some additional information such as a screw count. Yes, I clearly phrased my reply to reflect my opinion of the 452 vs the 455 as did you with your Sako comparison. But that is opinion, not erroneous information.

BTW, the spacer/adapter to convert to .22lr use goes in the mag well, not the magazine, as you imply.
    Sorry Snorko, reading my reply, it came off a lot snottier than I intended. I think slip fit is the term you needs for the 455 bbls, not press fit.
    When you press fit a bbl it requires a press usually to install it and serious force to remove it. The 455's bbl slips in and is tightened into place with a bolt or possibly two. I made the assumption that CZ had used the same adaption to the mag that Sako had. Is the spacer on the 455 added to the rear of the magazine and slipped in at the same time or does it snap in place in the magwell? Addendum; I found my answer.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    All the 452s I have seen were surprisingly accurate, but their bolts; safeties; triggers are tough to take. McMillan inletting a couple of patterns for the action mitigates that enough to make it worth while.

Manners makes some stocks for it as well. One of my 452's has a T4.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sorry Snorko, reading my reply, it came off a lot snottier than I intended. I think slip fit is the term you needs for the 455 bbls, not press fit.
    When you press fit a bbl it requires a press usually to install it and serious force to remove it. The 455's bbl slips in and is tightened into place with a bolt or possibly two. I made the assumption that CZ had used the same adaption to the mag that Sako had. Is the spacer on the 455 added to the rear of the magazine and slipped in at the same time or does it snap in place in the magwell? Addendum; I found my answer.

Patience0830, you clearly know your stuff. Excuse my whiplash reply. Also, thanks for the additional info, I did not understand the specifics of why the bottom metal screws are different and have a better understanding now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Wasn't aware, thanks and I'll check them out. If he is doing a sporterish pattern that can have light fill he is getting an order today.

I bought mine a year or so ago, and back then the only option was the T4. That may have changed by now.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've got a CZ 452 American (not a Varmint), and I love it. Very accurate with Wolf match ammo, not too bad with CCI mini mag, either. I recently put a Timney trigger in it, and it was a vast improvement. The bolt action wasn't that smooth, though, and I would up doing a lot of polishing of the underside of the bolt to smooth it up.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I have had a 452 American in the past and now own a 455 Varmint, the barrel changing ability is nice, although I never use it..I'm a 22lr guy :). The barrel is held in place by two set screws, and is quick n easy to remove from the action. I took mine apart to thread the muzzle ;) and shows no difference in accuracy before/after taking it off and replacing it. The accuracy is excellent I might add. Thanks

Top Bottom