CVS Pharmacy - Kids and Guns - This will make you mad!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kids and Guns | CVS Health Resources

Kids and Guns
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]By Chris Woolston[/SIZE][/FONT]
    CONSUMER HEALTH INTERACTIVE[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]Below:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    What should I tell my child about guns?
    When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?

Guns are completely safe -- as long as they're unloaded, locked away, and never touched. But as soon as a bullet enters the chamber and a hand nears the trigger, guns become a serious hazard to children. In the United States 2,852 children and teenagers died of gunshot wounds in 2004, and more than four times that many suffered acute injuries -- many of them in the home.

Of course, the surest way to protect your child from guns is to keep them out of his life. The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly urges parents not to store guns at home. If you think you need a gun for protection, consider this: According to the AAP, a gun in the house is 43 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder. What's more, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, guns used in school-related homicides and student suicides most often come from the child's own home or from a friend or relative.

If you still want to have a gun, invest in a trigger lock. Also, keep your gun unloaded and locked away in a gun cabinet, a safe, or another secure place. (Find a different place to lock up the ammunition.) Don't simply hide the gun in a sock drawer or a dark corner of your closet. Kids have an amazing ability to sniff out hiding spots.

What should I tell my child about guns?
    With an estimated 242 million firearms in the United States, gun safety can't stop at home. Your child needs to understand the dangers of guns and how to protect himself if he comes across one. As soon as possible, teach your child these important lessons:
    %5Cimages%5Cpixeltrans.gif
    The bullets and the blood on TV shows may be fake, but guns can hurt and kill children in real life.•
    Never touch a gun for any reason.•
    A gun means it's time to go. If your child sees a gun at a neighbor's house or elsewhere, he should leave immediately and tell you or another adult about it. (It's not enough to tell your child never to touch a gun. If his friend is handling a gun, your child is in grave danger.)

When is a child old enough to use a gun responsibly?
    Never, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is what the distinguished organization has to say about children and guns: Never allow your child access to your gun(s). No matter how much instruction you may give him or her, a youngster in the middle years is not mature and responsible enough to handle a potentially lethal weapon. Certainly the recent wave of school massacres give ample evidence of that.

If you still want your child to know how to hunt or shoot, wait until the teenage years to begin instruction. Your child may be intelligent and emotionally mature, and he may know the book on gun safety, but you simply can't trust him with a hunting rifle until he's at least 13 years old -- and not even then unless you are absolutely certain he is mature enough to be responsible. (Don't give your child a BB gun as a toy -- writer Alice Walker is among the many Americans who have lost an eye to a sibling's BB gun.) If you decide to let him use a gun, make it a rule that he must be accompanied by an adult.

-- Chris Woolston, M.S., is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has covered science issues for Time Inc. Health and WebMD, and is the co-author of Generation Extra Large: Rescuing Our Children from the Epidemic of Obesity (Perseus Books, 2005).. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

References

American Academy of Pediatrics, Guns and Children

State Medical Society of Wisconsin, Fatal Injuries in Adolescents

Source of Firearms Used by Students in School-Associated Violent Deaths - United States, 1992-1999. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Centers for Disease Control. WISQARS Fatal Injuries: Mortality Reports. November 2005. WISQARS Home

Centers for Disease Control. WISQARS Non Fatal Injuries: Non Fatal Injury Reports. WISQARS Home

Common Sense About Kids and Guns. CDC Data: Deaths and Injuries from Firearms. Common Sense About Kids and Guns: CDC Data: Deaths and Injuries from Firearms

Common Sense About Kids and Guns. Fact File. Common Sense About Kids and Guns: Fact File

National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action. Guns, Gun Ownership, & RTC at All-Time Highs, Less
    “Gun Control,” and Violent Crime at 30-year Low. NRA-ILA :: Guns, Gun Ownership, & RTC at All-Time Highs, Less "Gun Control," and Violent Crime at 30-Year Low

Reviewed by Carrie Lynn Byington, M.D., an assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Wow..

I wonder how many "children" between 16 and 18 are killed in automobile accidents a year. I'd bet a dollar that it's more than the number that are killed by firearms, but nobody's saying that a minor shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle..

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    So I guess its a good thing I'm a grown man now since my father obviously neglected me as a child by bying me a firearm the day I was born. He also let me start shooting at age 2(he held the gun haha) and took me on every range trip he ever went on if I wanted too.

What a crock of ****.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    When my brother and I were teenagers involved in Bianchi Cup, we were at a shoot where another mother struck up a conversation with my mom. The new mother asked "Aren't you worried about their safety?" Mom said, "We'd rather have them doing this than playing football. They are much safer here than playing a contact sport." The more I think about it, the more I realize she is right.

Responsibility is not gained by osmosis. They (my parents) offered us an opportunity to shoot, but made it very clear that there would be no excuses. A mistake made on the range would take a life, and saying sorry wouldn't bring a dead man back. By giving us a chance, they really made us rise to the occasion. This type of thing is what made us more responsible in our formative years.

I am not saying that every child is ready to use a gun. Conversely, it is wrong to assume that every child is NOT ready to use a gun. Besides, who would decide "Yea, he's ready. Here you go, have fun, don't shoot anyone, I'll be back in 2 hours." Of course, you have to model behavior and guide them in the beginning.

One day, the children will be adults who don't have to ask other people's permission to own a gun, whether or not they received training from their parents. This is obvious when you go to a range and see a grown man sweep the line with his muzzle. That's the type of thing you expect from a young shooter, regardless of age. By "expect", I don't mean that its acceptable, but is more likely to happen until they really get to a point where they are totally aware of and responsible for their muzzle.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    The usual load of crap... I can't believe they're still using the "43 times more likely..." line... That got blown out of the water years ago.

Me, my immediate and extended families, and most of my friends should be dead 20x over as far as that article is concerned too... maybe we all just haven't realized it yet... :dunno:

All those guns and not a single accident... it just can't be possible! :rolleyes:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Great find!!
    May I suggest instead of getting pissed about it and posting here you do the following.

1) Contact CVS via email/phone/mail
    Click here
    and let them know that you believe they have been mislead of this issue of guns and children. Futhermore if this is indeed there view that you plan on taking your business elsewhere where the 2nd Amendement is celebrated as they are ANTI-AMERICAN and you will no longer be doing business with them.

2) Send the link on their stance and how to contact them to everyone you know and post in other fourms.

When they start to see how they 'messed' up I'm sure they will have a change of hear.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    [CROSS LINK: ACTION REQUIRED] CVS is ANTI-GUNs!

CVS Pharmacy - Kids and Guns
    (The link above goes to another post on this forum)

In a nutshell CVS is telling us that kids and guns are should not happen.

So what should you do?

1) Contact CVS via email/phone/mail
    Click here and let them know that you believe they have been mislead of this issue of guns and children. Futhermore if this is indeed there view that you plan on taking your business elsewhere where the 2nd Amendement is celebrated as they are ANTI-AMERICAN and you will no longer be doing business with them.

2) Send the link on their stance and how to contact them to everyone you know and post in other fourms.

Hit them where it hurts, their bottom line. They want to be ANTI-2A and be ANTI-AMERICAN we just spend our money elsewhere.

Cough potatoes it takes a whole 2 seconds of your time to write that email so don't wait please.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Shop at Walgreens, its a better store/pharmacy anyways!

If any of you have any questions on getting your RX's transferred let me know, I work for Walgreens.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    i love to write these type of letters

I love to tell this kind of institution about the loss of my business if this is not corrected, expecting a response in the near future... here's my letter.

I am startled to recently hear of a new ad by cvs about guns and kids and feel very strongly that cvs has been lead astray from the true facts. First I am a valued frequent customer of cvs and frequently open and conceal carry in your stores. I also am an avid hunter, gun collector and second amendment supporter and enthusiest, but if this is the true belief that cvs is backing that children and guns cannot comingle with proper education and instruction as well as taking an avid stance against the second amendment then I will have to take my frequent business to Walgreens or Krogers etc who openly support my 2nd amendment rights. I hope this stance was in error and that this campaign of ignorance is discontinued or we will now part ways. Sincerely,
    Jereme Fox. Indiana. foxxie02@yahoo.com.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is what I wrote if anyone wants to take, edit and send.

Shopping elsewhere is NOT enough. We have to make NOISE and let the companies know they can NO LONGER just roll on us. We must wake up from our sleep and STAND UP and BE HEARD!!!

Your topic on Kids and Guns (Kids and Guns | CVS Health Resources) is completely incorrect. Education is the key to ensuring proper firearm safety at any age. After reading your information I feel that you have either been misinformed or do not fully understand our Second Amendment rights. If it is the latter then that means that you do not fully embrace the American’s way of life. Since I do not know which one it is at this point I will have to assume it is the latter and will take my business elsewhere to companies that do embrace our American heritage.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Famously Deceptive Statistic

In the United States 2,852 children and teenagers died of gunshot wounds in 2004

This makes it sound as if there were almost 3,000 accidental shootings involving kids.

In fact these numbers are grossly inflated by deliberate murders of one drug gang member by another drug gang member.

Take the 17 and 18 year old drug gang "children" out of those numbers, and you wind up with usually about a hundred actual childhood firearm accidents per year.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wow..

I wonder how many "children" between 16 and 18 are killed in automobile accidents a year. I'd bet a dollar that it's more than the number that are killed by firearms, but nobody's saying that a minor shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle..
    Well, according to the CDC site for 2004, 4989 for children between 15 and 19 for "All Motor Vehicle Deaths."

I was also fascinated that there are 252,000,000 guns in the US, but *only* 2,852 deaths of children related to guns. Interestingly, according to WikiAnswers - How many cars are there in the US there were 62,000,000 registered vehicles at the time of the notation (Feb. 2005), yet there were 7,204 children between the ages of 0 and 19 killed in or by a motor vehicle in 2004. Oh, and news flash: children are NOT permitted to drive a vehicle until at a minimum age of 15 (assuming a parent is present).

*mutters*

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My response (limited to 1000 characters):

I have just read your so-called "health resource" "Kids and guns" (Kids and Guns | CVS Health Resources) and was quite appalled. The writer was a classic example of selective reporting, chosing from biased sources, and promoting a political, rather than a health-based agenda.

First off, the number of deaths listed gives the impression that these are accidental deaths which would not happen if the guns were not there. This is simply not the case. While any death of a child is tragic, most of them are deliberate homicides. Children are, in general, rather defenseless against adult intent to harm so the presence or absence of a firearm is unlikely to affect that number much.

I recommend that you look at works such as long time police officer Massad Ayoob's "Gun-Proof your children" and come up with a more balanced approach.

Until then, I will be taking my business elsewhere.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    We all obviously disagree with the sentiment of that article, but what we need to do is separate the facts from the emotion and address the root causes of the statistics.

Guns CAN be dangerous for children, and often are, but WHY? It's because the morality is not there. In the past, children had guns given to them to hunt and target shoot but they also had morals and descipline given to them along with it. They were taught the difference between cowboys and indians and the real dangers, they were taught to respect life and revere the taking of it. They were given good self esteem so they didn't hang around with bad influences. If you give all these things to your child, then you can also give them a gun.

If you simply give them the gun, they'll get the morality from the TV, the gangs, the drugs, or not at all. They'll get their self esteem from the gun and that's when trouble starts.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Dear Valued CVS.com Customer,

Thank you for contacting CVS.com.

After reviewing your comments, we have forwarded them to the appropriate group at CVS for consideration.

If you require further assistance, please contact us by email at
    customercare@cvs.com or by phone at (888) 607-4287.

As always, thank you for choosing CVS.com.

Sincerely,
    Derek Dubois
    Customer Care Department
    www.CVS.com
    (888) 607-4CVS (4287)
    customercare@cvs.com

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    CVS Response

Dear Valued CVS.com Customer,

Thank you for contacting CVS.com.

After reviewing your comments, we have forwarded them to the appropriate
    group at CVS for consideration.

If you require further assistance, please contact us by email at
    customercare@cvs.com or by phone at (888) 607-4287.

As always, thank you for choosing CVS.com.

Sincerely,
    Derek Dubois
    Customer Care Department
    www.CVS.com
    (888) 607-4CVS (4287)
    customercare@cvs.com

Top Bottom