Crossed some new ones "off the list" this weekend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm rather fortunate to have married into a family of "gun nuts"...

Namely, my father-in-law and his brother.

I got to shoot a few "new to me" calibers and platforms this weekend.

Sadly...no pictures. :D

Up first was an oldie but a goody: Remington Model 14, fresh off the assembly line in February 1923. This nifty little woods gun was chambered in .35 Remington. Google up the gun and the cartridge. Both are pretty interesting!

Next was another pair of oldies, but not quite so old. He's recently bought himself a brace of Walthers; a Waffenampt-marked P-38 and a P-1.

The P-38 isn't all matching, but it's close. For sure a shooter-grade. And it worked A-OK with the 1 magazine of 115gr FMJ (Federal American Eagle) that I shot through it. Quite accurate, too, at the SD ranges I was shooting. The P-1 was basically identical, obviously. Felt recoil was a bit more harsh due to the aluminum alloy frame. Not that much worse, though. I found the P-38 to be the "better" of the two, even if older and in "worse" condition.

Next up was a Ruger M77 in .22 Hornet. I THINK it was a target model, but not sure. Ruger evidently doesn't currently chamber anything in that cartridge so it makes looking up the specific model a little difficult.

Anyhow, NEAT rifle... Neat little cartridge. Would make a great moderate distance varmint round...which is exactly what it is. According to Wiki (:n00b:) it kind of slots in between the .22WCF and the .223Win.

So, the above + shooting a few of my pistols made for a pretty good Saturday morning! :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I couldn't remember if it was a rotary mag or not, honestly. It holds 5 rounds and looks like an up-scaled 10/22 mag.

Guess that'd be a rotary mag, then, eh? :laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My goal is to shoot as many as I can!!!

I've got quite a few "regular" cartridges, both handgun and rifle.

But there are some that just ain't all that common in Central Indiana. And for sure I've not shot any of the wildcats.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sure sounds like a great day!!! Gotta love shooting new calibers, congrats

It was fun!

#1, I got to shoot some of MY stuff.

#2, I got to shoot some of HIS stuff. AND not have to clean 'em!

He's got a lot more that I've not shot; but most are in calibers that I have. Different platforms, of course, but got those calibers covered.

He has an old .45 ACP revolver (M1917, I think?) that I'd like to fire. And a tacticool Ruger Mini-30 with a Burris FastFire mini red dot. That sounds like fun to me. :D

Top Bottom