• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    The corn and bean fields are looking very bad. I noticed down by Seymour, the corn leaves are yellowing deep into the fields.

A question to the real farmers.

How are your fields holding out? Southwestern Indiana is doing poorly unless you are irrigating.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'd be interested in hearing how it's going too. I found myself traversing a few corn fields and soybean crops (long story why, out hunting for an old family cemetery) but they looked horrible. Not a farmer, but lived in the rural areas all my life ... it's pretty obvious the crops are heading for disaster in S. Eastern Indiana.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Michigan orchards were wiped out earlier this spring by frost. The drought isn't helping the veggies or corn either.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    up here in Indy, its bad, but not as bad as southern IN. I drove from here to Jasper last weekend, and it was horrifying seeing the crops down there. Going north to Kokomo, the crops aren't so bad.

SWI is going to be lucky if 1/3 fields make it. That is my prediction if SWI doesn't get rain soon. Northern and Central IN are going to be ok, so long as we get some rain soon. North IN seems to have gotten all of the summer's storms for the whole state.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    Well I am not a farmer either but have several friends spread out across a few states. The word is Nebraska, half of Iowa, half of Illinois, 2/3 of Indiana are pretty much going to be really bad for corn. Beans may make something if it will start raining but time is running out on them also. And with the wheat harvest already being down considerably prices will hit consumers pretty quickly is my guess.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The corn has tassled (pollinated) during drought conditions and that has killed the yield.
    At a casual glance most beans seem to be in decent shape but the reality is that they are basically in survival mode and all of their resources have went towards that, not so much to making beans.
    I read a report the other day that said there is no reserve of beans and quote "We need every bean we can get". That same report said that beans may be rationed at some point.
    Those early frosts, along with the drought, have been a severe blow to the mast crop (nuts). Deer, turkey, coon eat a lot of acorns. The mast crop is what holds over many species thru the Winter.
    Of course the berries have been hard hit too. Birds, coons ect eat a lot of berries.
    Then there is the lack of drinking water itself for the animals. A number of people have seen coon literally running from one place to another, places that should have water but don't.
    It's been a bad year and it's not near over for the wildlife.
    The cost of living is going to go nuts at some point soon. Wait and see what a box of cereal or some hamburger cost at some point in the near future. A lot of pasture is dead and cattle have been on hay and feed for some time now, raising the cost of production. Hay production is low.
    Several people here plan to cut corn for sillage as it really isn't worth anything as a grain crop.
    This happens, about every 20 years roughly, and we just have to deal with it.
    I wonder how much of our grain will continue to be used to produce the worthless biofuel? They need to put an end to that, along with giving our food to anybody in the World that puts their hand out. I don't see anybody giving us anything except trouble while at the same time they suck us dry.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I wonder how much of our grain will continue to be used to produce the worthless biofuel? They need to put an end to that, along with giving our food to anybody in the World that puts their hand out.

amen!

on the west side pretty much every corn field around is yellowing up with no corn, or very small ears. It will be a bad year for most around here.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Up in north central Indiana, if it isn't being irrigated, I think it is a done deal at this point.
    drmon.gif

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My neighbours fields are stunted and already tasseling. Parts of his fields are browning, as the corn's dying off. I really feel for him and all the other folks around me. It's gonna be a tough year for them. On the upside, maybe this will drive a stake into the ethanol nonsense.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My neighbours fields are stunted and already tasseling. Parts of his fields are browning, as the corn's dying off. I really feel for him and all the other folks around me. It's gonna be a tough year for them. On the upside, maybe this will drive a stake into the ethanol nonsense.

I dunno.... alternative energy... feeding people... alternative energy... feeding people. I am not convinced this administration would come down on the same side I would. The alternative energy people are a big constituency for his side.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Tipton, Carroll, Cass, and Howard counties aren't doing as well as last year, but better than the rest of the state. Corn on my field is 8' tall at this point. The tassels don't look quite right though.

Hancock county is down roughly 30% on yields and counting. I've heard of fields in Martinsville and Peru being mowed and chopped for silage.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I dunno.... alternative energy... feeding people... alternative energy... feeding people. I am not convinced this administration would come down on the same side I would. The alternative energy people are a big constituency for his side.
    Maybe, but some of the plants have already shut down as grain prices have gone up. When those prices continue upwards they'll shut down for even longer periods or permanently. ADM can outbid them on the open market.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Here in west central indiana around Williamsport we have truly been blessed. June 16 I had 3.5" of rain, we have picked up a 10nth or 2 here and there so our crops look good but we are in need of more. This drought and high temps will also effect livestock, in particular cattle. Hay is already high and will likely get even higher, this is sure to drive up beef prices.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    southern indiana was pretty bad too. This drives a further cause for people to do what little they can a garden is easy to maintain if done properly. I know part of our garden the tomatoes have stunted in the heat Its just gonna be worse. The only thing we can do is adapt. Corn will be high, its going to snowball to other things, and we have to accept that and move on.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Around Tipp Co, it's hit or miss. The field to my north is fine, but the field to the west looks rather wilted. We have had some rain, but not nearly as much.

I helped a couple friends this week cut down non-productive corn to plant soy beans in hopes of a late crop. We will see.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ours does not look to bad, but it is far from being good. If, I was a betting man, I would wager Our personal yields are going to be around half of what is considered average for us...

Top Bottom