• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Building this up for a general plinker and fun shooter. Goal was to keep it under $1k with scope. Let me know what you think.

What do you like? What do you not like? What would you have done differently?

PSA premium full auto BCG
    PSA forward assist kit
    PSA dust cover kit
    $112.43

Aero Precision matched forged upper/lower receiver set
    $135

Voodoo 16” 1:7 melonite barrel
    $160

BCM gas tube
    BCM flash hider/crush washer
    BCM H2 buffer
    $61.15

BCM grip mod 3
    Magpul CTR stock
    Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25 freefloat handguard
    Yankee Hill low profile clamp on gas block
    $224.77

BCM charging handle mod 4
    Magpul polymer trigger guard
    BCM buffer tube kit
    Spikes LPK
    $161.44

Vortex strikefire
    $99.99

Total
    $954.78

I think if I had to do it again, I would have got an AIM Melonite BCG.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    First off, where's the pics? I love a spec sheet, (you do seem to have parts from good companies) but I'm a visual kinda guy.

Second, it's hard to "critique" an AR build without being an ***hole. I could say if I like it or not, but that's me. There are so many parts out there to choose from you could build ten thousand combinations... I can't remember what each part looks like or how it functions best. Long as it makes you happy.

But yeah, post a photo, and I'll tell you if it's cool or stupid.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    First off, where's the pics? I love a spec sheet, (you do seem to have parts from good companies) but I'm a visual kinda guy.

Second, it's hard to "critique" an AR build without being an ***hole. I could say if I like it or not, but that's me.

Pics as soon as it's built. It's a box of parts as of now.

Please, go ahead and post what you like or dislike. I'm still learning about different manufacturers, finishes (NiB, Melonite, etc...), materials, and I'm always looking for things I should have done differently. That way, next build, I'll have other things to look for.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know anything about that barrel maker.... good reputation? The barrel is the heart of the AR. Everything from accuracy to correctly cut chambers for reliable extraction, gas port sizing, etc happens in that part. Another $80 you could have had a BCM barrel, or another $100 for something like a Rainier. Maybe it'll be great, I dunno, just never heard of voodoo...

-rvb

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't know anything about that barrel maker.... good reputation? The barrel is the heart of the AR. Everything from accuracy to correctly cut chambers for reliable extraction, gas port sizing, etc happens in that part. Another $80 you could have had a BCM barrel, or another $100 for something like a Rainier. Maybe it'll be great, I dunno, just never heard of voodoo...

-rvb

They're somehow affiliated with Adams Arms. All I could find were good reviews. I have a feeling they'll be more expensive in the near future.

For the price I paid, I'll be able to get my money back if I don't like it, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think that sounds like a good list of parts, although like rvb, I'm not familiar with Voodoo. I know you said this is a plinker, but as others have said I like to have BUIS on my AR's, as well as quick disconnect mounts for the optics, but if it is strictly a range toy, then not necessary I guess.

Post pics when you get a chance.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    OP, if you're near Indy, I have most of the tools to build, if you'd like.

I live in the Crawfordsville erea and too have the tools to build it if you need help or tools.

Personally I am not a fan of PSA parts, but most here are fans of them. Other than that I would have sent with an AIM NiB BCG over the PSA piece.

Also got mag(s)?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What chamber does your Voodoo have and what is its profile/weight? I would build with a light weight melonite barrel with a right chamber, for R&D purposes.

Couldn't want a powered optic with a battery life not measured in years, but that is me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like to have BUIS on my AR's, as well as quick disconnect mounts for the optics, but if it is strictly a range toy, then not necessary I guess.

Burned through my play money for now. That's on the list in the near future, though.

OP, if you're near Indy, I have most of the tools to build, if you'd like.

I live in the Crawfordsville erea and too have the tools to build it if you need help or tools.

Also got mag(s)?

Thank you guys for the offers. I may be in contact depending on what I can find around here :ingo:
    And I'm all set on pmags for now.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What chamber does your Voodoo have and what is its profile/weight? I would build with a light weight melonite barrel with a right chamber, for R&D purposes.

5.56 NATO chamber, 1:7 twist, 4150 melonited, m4 profile, carbine gas system

Would have preferred a Wylde chamber/ 1:8 twist / mid length gas system, but for the price, I can't complain.

Link to the one I ordered:
    16" Carbine Length M4 Profile

They do make a nice looking ultra light profile barrel that I've seen some good reviews on:
    16" Carbine Length Evo Ultra Lite

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Don't know much about that barrel but haven't heard anything bad about Voodoo either. PSA sells good stuff, don't worry about that. You might consider the new Magpul SL stock. They look very promising. You've done a great job here and a lot of homework, have fun, it doesn't have to be your last build!

pshinn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Been in columbus 9.5 years and am working on my sub 500 buck ar build... No scope just iron sights

would love to compare notes

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Been in columbus 9.5 years and am working on my sub 500 buck ar build... No scope just iron sights

would love to compare notes

Right on. Good luck with your build, and let me know if you need anything.

I'm working on getting tools together to assemble mine now. Hopefully it'll be together in a few weeks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom