What do I do so this doesn't get worse.

kHZy1jp.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would look to get some kind of flexible sealant in there to prevent the edges from breaking up around the crack. Ask the pros about what to use. I don't think its good that it cracked across the relief cut in the same place on two sections. I suspect the ground has settled underneath the concrete in that area and no longer supports it adequately.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You have utilities run under there and the ground had settled. Probably your water main. It will get worse. Caulk it up per the directions on the tube. Use a sealant specific to concrete and plan on doing it every year. Some stuff is self leveling, and some is not. The self leveling will need the bottom of the crack sealed first or it'll just run right thru your crack.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    You can call and have a company inject cement under and into the crack. That should keep it from settling anymore as well as fill the broken parts....for awhile.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    as much water as we've gotten it's no wonder the ground is settling and the concrete is cracking. I'm seeing some of the same types of cracks and my driveway is mostly asphalt over gravel that's been there for 30+ years.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine has cracks you could trip over, or sprain your ankle if you step on them wrong. The contractor used a very deficient underlay in this neighborhood, and we have blasting over at the gravel pit, so several of us have had to replace entire driveways. Mine's way overdue. Make sure you fill it with noxious chemicals and seal it with something impenetrable, or you'll be weedeating your driveway.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You have utilities run under there and the ground had settled. Probably your water main. It will get worse. Caulk it up per the directions on the tube. Use a sealant specific to concrete and plan on doing it every year. Some stuff is self leveling, and some is not. The self leveling will need the bottom of the crack sealed first or it'll just run right thru your crack.

This. Use a urethane based self leveling concrete caulk. The crack doesn't look that large yet that you would need a backer rod. Southeastern Supply used to sell Sikkaflex products, that is the best product on the consumer market for fixing concrete cracks. Do not use a latex based concrete caulk, they are junk. The urethane caulks are pricey, but are the only thing that works. (I was a GE Silicones Rep for 12 years selling caulking & adhesives).
    When you get a tube of urethane caulk, squeeze the tube to insure it is still soft. Urethane caulk will set up in the tube if it has sat too long.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Welcome to earth.

I haven't lived in a home with a concrete driveway for about 30 years now. Always gravel and or [STRIKE]mud[/STRIKE] dirt.
    If you ever replace your panels, they will never match the others you have. No matter how much I warned them, it was a common a complaint from homeowners that had this done. (in my other life) :xmad:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Filling with sand and a concrete caulk will help to keep water and ice forming and making it worse. It seems fairly thin now, which is good.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They make a latex caulk for concrete. It is flexible. You will probably have to apply it several times a year. It will only delay the inevitable though. As mention above, you have a settling problem.

Top Bottom