• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I was thinking about getting into coyote hunting. I am wondering if there are any regulations and any ideas on how exactly to go about it. All I heard from the DNR was there was the start and end date and besides that have at it.

And I was wondering if my Polish AKMS rifle would work. Within 100 yards I can keep shoots in a 6-8 inch circle standing offhand.

And if you shot a Coyote around here, what could I do with it, is there any furs that would take it or any state programs for getting rid or them, or anything else

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    any firearm is game for coyote. with majority using ARs and bolt action rifles taking 2nd. 100 yard shots arent uncommon, but be sure you place a good shot. i've seen yotes get hit 3 times and still run. i think the bodies are bringing 8 bucks or so.. (pelt and all), not sure yet.. have yet to get ready for the season.. deer still need killing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE hunt them year round on private property. Use everything from .17 HMR to a .308 on them including shotguns. My buddy has dropped a few from his stand with a bow.
    They are rampant on his land.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They stole my cat two months ago and so we are waging war on them here! We aren't seeing any deer to shoot so figure we may as well shoot those suckers. Hubby likes his 223 varmint rifle best for shooting them. We heard from a neighbor that the guy hunting her son's farm shot almost 70 of them last year in our county. We have tracks near the house and barns all the time and if we do see deer tracks, there are coyote tracks right behind them! My other cats need to stay safe so the coyotes need to go.

For the record, I still need a coyote tail. Hubby shot one a while back and had it full body mounted and the house cats stripped her tail off one day when we weren't home. Wasn't funny at the time, but we laugh now. Came home to a wire sticking out of her butt and fur all over the floor! Lady has a thing about fluffy tails apparently. There was no way to put that back together! :ugh:

bleas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    .204 is a good round but its a little bit small for the coyotes we have around here

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They stole my cat two months ago and so we are waging war on them here! We aren't seeing any deer to shoot so figure we may as well shoot those suckers. Hubby likes his 223 varmint rifle best for shooting them. We heard from a neighbor that the guy hunting her son's farm shot almost 70 of them last year in our county. We have tracks near the house and barns all the time and if we do see deer tracks, there are coyote tracks right behind them! My other cats need to stay safe so the coyotes need to go.

For the record, I still need a coyote tail. Hubby shot one a while back and had it full body mounted and the house cats stripped her tail off one day when we weren't home. Wasn't funny at the time, but we laugh now. Came home to a wire sticking out of her butt and fur all over the floor! Lady has a thing about fluffy tails apparently. There was no way to put that back together! :ugh:

When we get up to Michigan and hunt them on a friends land I use a .223 Varmint AR. we set up near 200/250 yds. from where he baits them. It is a sporting shot in some conditions with a .223.
    He uses an M1-a Match rifle with open iron sights. Most enjoyable.

bleas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    When we get up to Michigan and hunt them on a friends land I use a .223 Varmint AR. we set up near 200/250 yds. from where he baits them. It is a sporting shot in some conditions with a .223.
    He uses an M1-a Match rifle with open iron sights. Most enjoyable.

What does a non resident license cost to go to Michigan to coyote hunt? I read in one place you need a small game license and another place you need a furbearers license. Which one is it?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .204 is a good round but its a little bit small for the coyotes we have around here

I call B/S. .204 is plenty of medicine for a coyote. Last 2 I shot were one shot kills with a 17 mach 2. No tracking.
    One shot through the lungs and they're done. Exit wound about as big as a quarter. Coyote at 15yds

If you can't hit where you're aiming, it doesn't matter what caliber you use. You'll still lose some.

Where's that dead horse emoticon?

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    If you want the laws on ANY game or varmint in Indiana, get a full copy of the Discretionary Orders from the DNR.

Top Bottom