• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    What do you guy consider the best all around coyote gun...
    getting ready to buy a new one and would like some advice
    thanks in advance for the inputs

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't had the opportunity, but I consistently hear praise for high quality bolt action rifles chambered in .22-250, although with the predominance of the AR-15, the popular favorite is probably the .223/5.56.
    Some recommendations for you would be the Remington 700 Varmint, Savage 110 series, or the Ruger M77.
    If on a budget, probably the Remington 770, Savage Axis, or Ruger American, to name just three.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    How will you be using this gun?
    From calling stands,targets of opertunity or drive byes?
    I have killed hundreds of coyotes and fox
    in your area if you would be interested in doing alittle hunting.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I know many guys prefer ARs but I use an old Remington 788 in .243. I know several who have/had .22/250s. When my buddies and I got into reloading we realized that my 243 shot flatter than their 250s. Reason being my Vmax bulletswere only 3 gr more than theirs with quite a bit more powder. This reason might only be beneficial for shots over 300 yds as anything less than that you won't have to worry about hold over. I also like the .243 as a deer gun where legal.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Savage axis in .243. Nice budget gun for the money, or for alittle more, the 110 model. You cant go wrong with either model. My son has a 110 youth model,and although he is now 18, he wont hunt with anything else. He just loves that rifle.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Just a nice hunting rifle American 243 or a 20in AR with a good scope is about all you need.... AR is good for 100-200yds or closer and the 243 is better for longer shots, both accompanied by a 12ga. for very close range of course .... Just depends on how your going to hunt ???

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    How will you be using this gun?
    From calling stands,targets of opertunity or drive byes?
    I have killed hundreds of coyotes and fox
    in your area if you would be interested in doing alittle hunting.
    Calling stands mostly
    get in contact with me maybe we can get together and do some hunting
    PM me

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Who the hell started giving coyotes guns???

That's wrong.....just wrong.

It all started with deer guns. Then the coyotes needed something to restore the natural balance. Thus began The Great Forest Arms Race, as historians refer to it.

Luckily, both armies still lack opposable thumbs, so....yeah.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a 16" AR. Also a Rem 700 in .243.
    Last yr I took my TC carbine in .35 Rem...........because it was a joy to tote.
    Coyotes didn't cooperate, were hunting brushy stand areas..............shots 100yds and in.
    Hell, anything will work there.

Will say even a .223 55gr Vmax can rip a decent hole in a yote.

For fur, maybe even something of lesser power. .222 or K hornet?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think they guys are giving some good advice using a shotgun for close range stuff maybe 70 yards and in. But then the gun you choose really just depends on if you want to hunt for fur or not. Hookeye suggested a .222. A buddy of mine uses one and is super happy with it. I think you ought to decide how you are going to hunt and why and then research some calibers. It's hard to make a good suggestion without knowing your intent with killing them... So eradication or fur? And the planned distances.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Shooting coyotes doesn't require the fast shooting of repeat rounds like prairie dogs shooting can require. My coyote gun has accounted for over 1500 yotes over the years (mostly in western states), it's a Remington 700 in 22 CHeetah with a pencil barrel. It is as accurate as any of my heavy barrel guns when the shots are taken over time with time enough between shots to let the barrel cool. My vote would be a a decent bolt gun in 22-250 with a light to medium weight barrel. Not as much velocity as my CHeetah but better barrel life. Be prepared to spend a bit of money for decent glass as well, just as important as a decent rifle. I currently us an older Weaver T-10.

778b2e21-07fd-46c8-b0a1-3785bf63dfdf_zps1c3da8db.jpg

Top Bottom