May 26, 2018
    North Central

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    FB deems its data taken out of context to politicize CV19.
    I would consider this a "stopped clock" situation for FB. Everyone on all sides is politicizing the vaccine and yes, headlines alone lack context. What's more, it's putting a lot of trust in the mainstream media to accurately report what is in complex studies.

All the studies referenced in the headlines above have been published, so we can see whether or not what was reported was accurate as of the study date (and that part is important). But for most people, minds have been made up and that's just too much work.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well friends, after nearly two years I think the rona may have found a way into my home. The whole family sick with symptoms similar to what I'm reading from Omicron. I gave myself a rapid at work yesterday first thing in the AM which was negative, but decided to go get a send off test this morning.

I'll be honest...if this is COVID and it found a way into my household then Omicron is going to be a wild ride for a lot of people. Still hopeful that this variant is a blessing in disguise.

On the very edge of being banned, and he throws down the "sympathy card".

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There have been a number of people that test negative until around day 4-5 of symptoms.

FWIW, I tested multiple times.... all negative.

Doc still suspected I had it given symptoms and lung Xrays, so he tested for antibodies after recovery... had them in spades.

The tests are not all they are made out to be.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "We don't know" is sometimes the only honest answer.
    I agree 100%. More of this answer at the beginning of the pandemic may have resulted in less cynicism.

However, the percentages cited were, as far as I can tell, all accurate at that time. The media should have emphasized that these results only reflected the 3 to 6 months studied. Additional surveillance would be needed to determine the length of the effects. I assure the studies themselves had that caveat.

I am in the Novavax study. I received my doses in late January and mid February 2021. Initial results started to come in late July/early August. The initial study results were published in late September. Obviously, there was only about 6 months of data (the study started in November 2020). While the "100% effective in preventing moderate or severe infection or death" number was accurate, obviously, they didn't know anything beyond that time period. The study is ongoing.

Trust erodes...or is obliterated, when full information is not given or assumptions are reported as fact. It would be great if we could subcontract information gathering to the media (whichever media), but the good news is that there was a time this was the case, but we don't have to any more.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    iu

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A word of warning on Omicron.

It seems like it's capable of penetrating vaccine and natural immunity more than Delta, but due to existing immunity results in less severe illness in these individuals. But those with little to no pre-existing immunity are getting as sick as those who faced Delta without immunity.

Tl;dr - omicron can still smack you in the lungs and stick your butt in the ICU if you have risk factors and minimal immunity

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Printcraft, i can make a pill and claim it guarantees a 100% survival rate from ringworm. That's kinda what COVID vaccines are doing for teens and younger. Risk of death from COVID is so low anyway, giving better protection makes it way lower even. I bet you'd need millions of kids in a study to prove it. Betting their vax study was underpowered to make the claim of 100% effective.

Top Bottom