• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have to travel to Chicago in the near future and want to check on some things.

I know that it is now legal to carry concealed within your vehicle as long as you are legally allowed to do so in your home state and leave it locked in your vehicle if you exit it. I know that possession of an unloaded, cased, and not readily accessible firearm is legal as long as you have an FOID and that non-resident's carry licenses can be substituted for a FOID in this case. The recent state preemption laws removed many of the crappy possession laws that Chicago had.

Does anyone know of any possible legal issues with this scenario:

• Carry while driving to Chicago
    • Upon arrival (while still in vehicle), unload pistol, put in lockbox inside a backpack
    • Carry backpack a few blocks to hotel
    • Leave pistol locked in case while in hotel
    • Get the h*** out of the crime ridden cesspool as fast as possible the next morning in the same manner

I just want to double check that transporting it to and from the hotel in this manner is legal in Chicago for those without a badge or baggy pants and colors.

Which of these options do you like best?
    1. Leave pistol locked in car. I have a lock box bolted to the inside of a large well under the seats where it slides and locks into a bracket that is bolted to the car. The car will be in a parking garage downtown.
    2. Transport it unloaded, in lockbox, in backpack a few blocks to the hotel.
    3. Drop my wife off at the hotel first and have her take the backpack to the room while I go park.
    4. Disassemble and put the slide in the backpack and put the receiver in my pocket where it is less likely to get stolen.
    5. Leave the pistol at home
    6. Leave myself and my wife at home (just kidding, I can't get out of this).
    7. OC it with an extended 30rnd magazine, sling an AR-15 outfitted with a DIAS and a 100rnd mag over my shoulder and walk down Michigan Ave to the hotel holding both my middle fingers to the air while chanting "suck it Obama".

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Funny that you are worried about following the laws there but the criminals aren't. Makes you wonder? I would say boycott the whole crap hole.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I take busloads of women to Chicago for shopping trips and not a single person worries about nonsense like this. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.
    There is no reason why you should be singled out if you stay out of the hood anddont try to buy drugs.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I take busloads of women to Chicago for shopping trips and not a single person worries about nonsense like this. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.
    There is no reason why you should be singled out if you stay out of the hood anddont try to buy drugs.

28 Arrested In Weekend Mag Mile Mob Violence | NBC Chicago

Doesn't always happen in DA' HOOD. Overall I agree with your sentiment.

What perceived threat are you trying to meet? Based on some of your phrasing "baggy pants and colors", is your fear based on what you read on the Internet? I've been to Chicago several times and never felt the least bit threaten. So your plan is to have a pistol in some state of dis-assembly or locked at the hotel or in the car? Are you planning on staying in the hotel 100% of the time during your visit? How does any of your options help you when you are out of the hotel? I'm not a lawyer or play one on the Internet so I can't get you any legal advice on your plan.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    The comment about baggy pants and colors was a joke about the fact that those are the two types of people who carry guns in Chicago... those with badges and those who are thugs.

My question is not about how to defend myself while there, it is about how to not make the entire trip there and back (and some places in between) where carrying IS legal without my pistol. I know full well I can't carry in Chicago. I'll be using other methods of self defense and using common sense ways to avoid trouble.

I just don't want to leave my pistol locked in the car in a parking garage. However I don't want to get into legal trouble taking it two/from the hotel either. It is also a question of which you think is more likely... my car getting broken into and them finding the compartment with the lock box and being able to pry it out quick enough to try, or my backpack getting taken in a snatch-n--grab while going to/from the hotel. I THINK both are legal, which do you guys think is best?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I think #3 is the safest most prudent way. You don't have to worry about anything happening while walking to the hotel with the backpack.
    while there keep an eye out for the no handgun signs that are popping up in some of the businesses so you don't give any money to those shopkeepers

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    If I were you I would do #2. Go straight to hotel, no stops, and don't bring any attention to yourself and you should be okay. Wear an Obama shirt and people will leave you alone :):

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't go there. God will strike down Chicago when it has pushed Him a point too far. Are you willing to be there when that point too far has been reached. Please know that a major earthquake for Chicago is way over due.

Do you suddenly feel a need for a roll of tin-foil?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    1. Leave pistol locked in car. I have a lock box bolted to the inside of a large well under the seats where it slides and locks into a bracket that is bolted to the car. The car will be in a parking garage downtown.
    3. Drop my wife off at the hotel first and have her take the backpack to the room while I go park.
    4. Disassemble and put the slide in the backpack and put the receiver in my pocket where it is less likely to get stolen.
    7. OC it with an extended 30rnd magazine, sling an AR-15 outfitted with a DIAS and a 100rnd mag over my shoulder and walk down Michigan Ave to the hotel holding both my middle fingers to the air while chanting "suck it Obama".

What lock box do you have? I have the cable one, but I would like to have one that locks in place. It seems much more secure. Why would you let your wife carry it in the backpack? It's YOUR firearm. You should not let her be in possession of it if it could get her in trouble.

I'm not sure if Chicago will let you have it in a backpack. Last I heard, it had to stay in your vehicle. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for disassembly, remember that the receiver is the firearm by law. Carrying the receiver could get you in trouble if LEOs were to follow the law to the letter.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    With an Indiana CCW you may carry in the vehicle loaded. The firearm must be unloaded and put in the case/backpack before exiting the vehicle. Jim.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Not a snowballs chance in hell I would step foot in that cesspool of a city without being armed. Remember kiddies deep conceal.... Oh and to the people who will jump on me telling me I am telling people to break the law, step back, take a deep breath, and understand I didnt tell anyone anything to do at all....

Gunner

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Option 8 is always my preferred choice. Assuming you have no other option, do what you must do to stay alive. That said, the mag mile and surrounding area is usually fairly sanitized given how touristy it is. With the exception of the sport of homeless-spotting. Beat my score of 15 for the mag mile and I will give you a coupon for your next trip to the Cheesecake Factory: guaranteed to be over-crowded and over-priced or your money back. God, I hate Chicago. Even the 'good' part of Chicago isn't that great. I don't care whether Sears stopped paying for the name, it's the Sears Tower. Whoever Willis is, it can go take a long walk off a short Navy pier.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have to travel to Chicago in the near future and want to check on some things.

I know that it is now legal to carry concealed within your vehicle as long as you are legally allowed to do so in your home state and leave it locked in your vehicle if you exit it. I know that possession of an unloaded, cased, and not readily accessible firearm is legal as long as you have an FOID and that non-resident's carry licenses can be substituted for a FOID in this case. The recent state preemption laws removed many of the crappy possession laws that Chicago had.

Does anyone know of any possible legal issues with this scenario:

• Carry while driving to Chicago
    • Upon arrival (while still in vehicle), unload pistol, put in lockbox inside a backpack
    • Carry backpack a few blocks to hotel
    • Leave pistol locked in case while in hotel
    • Get the h*** out of the crime ridden cesspool as fast as possible the next morning in the same manner

I just want to double check that transporting it to and from the hotel in this manner is legal in Chicago for those without a badge or baggy pants and colors.

:facepalm: on #8 it's a 30 rd CLIP that you want!

If I were you I would do #2. Go straight to hotel, no stops, and don't bring any attention to yourself and you should be okay. Wear an Obama shirt and people will leave you alone :):

^This!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    What lock box do you have? I have the cable one, but I would like to have one that locks in place. It seems much more secure. Why would you let your wife carry it in the backpack? It's YOUR firearm. You should not let her be in possession of it if it could get her in trouble.

I'm not sure if Chicago will let you have it in a backpack. Last I heard, it had to stay in your vehicle. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for disassembly, remember that the receiver is the firearm by law. Carrying the receiver could get you in trouble if LEOs were to follow the law to the letter.

What says it is MY firearm? There is no registration anywhere that says it is mine. The reason I would have her take it to the room is so SHE isn't the one parking 3 blocks away and walking back to the hotel.

How would carrying a receiver get me in trouble? According to the law there, you can transport EITHER unloaded, cased, and inaccessible OR disassembled to a non-functioning state. By "disassembled", they don't mean cutting the frame in half, they just mean making it unusable. Specifically on the Illinois State Police website, removing the slide is enough to qualify. Where I wanted clarification was that the new state laws preempted the Chicago craziness.

The lock box is a cheap Bulldog brand keyed lock box. I wouldn't trust it except with my particular installation. Between the front and middle seats of the van there is a panel that lifts up on the floor. There is a well under there that goes up under the floor under the front seats. The lock box slides into a bracket that is bolted to the car waaaay up under the front seats. What really makes it secure is that someone would have to hold the heavy floor panel up while trying to reach up under the seats and get something under there to pry with. It would also be hard to find. The last time I was forced to leave a pistol in there for a long time I left another lock box with a cable as the first thing you saw when you opened that floor well. I figured they would cut it and run. Then of course get home and be pissed off when they got it open.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Do not take your gun to Chicago!!! They will use you as a example! I live 30 minutes from the hell hole, I would never take my gun there. Chicago is where freedom goes to die!!

Top Bottom