• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I know you cannot carry to any 'State' fair. But what about Porter county and Lake county? I'd search on here, its probably been covered, but dont have any time, heading straight to Porter after work and need to know.

thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not at all sure about those counties...

But it's something that each of us need to be aware of during "fair time". Each county is different in their treatment of the fairgrounds and their buildings.

Some may very well accept it on the grounds, but not inside the buildings (deeming them county-owned / government-owned / off-limits), but the grounds more like a community park.

Wish I could help you, OP.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Just because there are signs, doesn't mean you "can't." Concealed means concealed. Now if you go to play games and ride rides, I would say no. I only go because my girlfriend drags me out there but I don't "do anything fun at the fair" according to her.

Our fair was just two weeks ago and not saying anything bad happened or has happened in the past, other than the occasional fight here or there, I still don't like going. The girlfriend and the fair food are the only things that get me out there for one day of the fair.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "Concealed means concealed" is not at all the same as "legal" and I wish people would stop encouraging gun carriers to violate the law. If a city or township has an ordinance against carrying in certain places (such as Indianapolis City Parks), it's a disservice to the asker to just tell them to do it anyway. At least help him understand the ramifications of the decision and possible penalties if he gets caught.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I was at the Porter county fair yesterday. I didn't see any 'no gun' signs. I was looking too as two years ago they had big ones out front. I guess I could have missed a small one.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Porter County is a definite NO. There are signs at the gate, and the ticket booth. It has been like that for years. I was there last Friday

Is it a definite no because you saw some signs or because you know of an ordinance backing it up? "Definite NO" is a mighty bold statement.

Lake County fair grounds also has those signs, year round... you drive right past them as you go into the gun show every other month, lol. The signs at Lake county don't mean jack for a county fair... although I'd bet you'd be asked to leave if you open carried. There are still some Lake County deputies who don't know OC is even legal. :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to the law for Porter co fairgrounds. I'll be going to that one for the first time this year and I'd like to know if it was legal and 'frowned upon' vs actually illegal. I need to find the ordinances website again.

Jim W.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Brownsburg area
    I was at the Hendricks county fair, was carrying in my pocket. It shows an imprint. At the sheriff dunk tank I know that the officer could tell, but he didn't say anything. I don't know if they have a no weapons sign. Didn't see one.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "Concealed means concealed" is not at all the same as "legal" and I wish people would stop encouraging gun carriers to violate the law. If a city or township has an ordinance against carrying in certain places (such as Indianapolis City Parks), it's a disservice to the asker to just tell them to do it anyway. At least help him understand the ramifications of the decision and possible penalties if he gets caught.

+1
    work to make changes and advocate for our cause but obey the law.:patriot:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Legal to carry at the Porter County Fair. I'll ask some officers tomorrow if they'll stop anyone who OC if I can remember (Porter County Correctional Officers also do armed security at the Porter County Fair). If I was working security then I wouldn't stop you but that's just me.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    All I can say is that I stand by my previous statement. The signs are clearly posted on the ticket booth. They were there at 12:30 pm last Friday. I know because I specifically looked for them, as I do every year. I did not have to go to the booth because admission is free before 1:00 PM, but I made a special trip to be sure the signs were still there and they were. That does not mean it is against the law, it could mean the same thing it means at other facilities, you could be asked to leave, BUT it is a county owned property, so I choose discretion rather than valor. It might be embarrassing to have PatriotPride lock me up.:):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    All I can say is that I stand by my previous statement. The signs are clearly posted on the ticket booth. They were there at 12:30 pm last Friday. I know because I specifically looked for them, as I do every year. I did not have to go to the booth because admission is free before 1:00 PM, but I made a special trip to be sure the signs were still there and they were. That does not mean it is against the law, it could mean the same thing it means at other facilities, you could be asked to leave, BUT it is a county owned property, so I choose discretion rather than valor. It might be embarrassing to have PatriotPride lock me up.:):

The reason some are asking for a more specific answer "than there are signs at the ticket booth" is because signs alone carry no weight in Indiana. Put up a 40 foot tall no weapons sign, so what the worst that can be done is to ask me to leave the property. If I do not at that point in time the worst that can be done is to charge me with criminal trespass.

However if there is an Ordinance, or City/County Code that forbids it, that is a totally different matter right there...

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There is nothing that I could find in the Porter County Code that specifically prohibits carrying a weapon at the Porter County Fair. That being said, I could find nothing in the Porter County Code that prohibits carrying a firearm in any county public building, such as the courthouse either. I guarantee you will be arrested, not asked to leave if you carry a firearm into the courthouse. I understand that they are two entirely different venues, but they are both properties that are owned by the county, and have signs specifically stating no firearms. Everyone has to make their own call, but I would bet that a person found in possession of a firearm at the Porter County Fair, would be detained at the very least, and at worst be charged with unlawful use of a weapon. The bottom line is why chance it. If they do charge you, then you are stuck hiring an attorney. You may be found not guilty at some point, but who needs the hassle.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    There is nothing that I could find in the Porter County Code that specifically prohibits carrying a weapon at the Porter County Fair. That being said, I could find nothing in the Porter County Code that prohibits carrying a firearm in any county public building, such as the courthouse either. I guarantee you will be arrested, not asked to leave if you carry a firearm into the courthouse. I understand that they are two entirely different venues, but they are both properties that are owned by the county, and have signs specifically stating no firearms. Everyone has to make their own call, but I would bet that a person found in possession of a firearm at the Porter County Fair, would be detained at the very least, and at worst be charged with unlawful use of a weapon. The bottom line is why chance it. If they do charge you, then you are stuck hiring an attorney. You may be found not guilty at some point, but who needs the hassle.

I think the Courthouses are actually covered under Indiana Code... :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think the Courthouses are actually covered under Indiana Code... :dunno:
    Nope.

Most (all?) courthouses are covered by a judges court order. Some courthouses are covered by city/town ordinance. I cannot find any IC that controls carry in anything other than State buildings. In my home county (Hendricks) I cannot find any county ordinance either. After checking with a prosecuting attorney friend, the Hendrick County courthouse bars weapons by court order, which can get you slapped with contempt of court and jailed/fined.

The Hendricks County fairgrounds are county property, so not covered by Danville town ordinances. They have an anti-self-protection policy, which is not backed by any law.

Other Counties, towns, or townships may have other ordinances, so you might need to do some research.

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    I agree

:yesway::yesway::yesway: This is spot on. I carry 24/7, except where posted or illegal. Went to the Gary Railcats game last Monday. I was carrying as usual, but a sign at the entrance stated the management's policy of no guns. So I locked mine in my car. It's the right thing to do, and getting caught doing otherwise gives all CCW people a bad name.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Got an answer today from my higher-ups. It's not ILLEGAL to carry. If you are SEEN with a firearm you will be asked to put it in your vehicle. According to them, signs are posted. I haven't been yet---will probably go on Saturday. Like others have said, Concealed means Concealed.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Signs are posted, I was there this past weekend.

I rode in on the motorcycle OCing, and only the man giving me a deep fried Reese's cup said anything about it, and that was only "hey what kind is that?". I would not have attended if I was turned away.

I have the "look" that allows me to go in public OCing without the public noticing, however. I suppose I look like off duty law enforcement, minus the CCW badge next to it.

Top Bottom