• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    because I was already scheduled for a big shoot up at Bass and bucks.

Got to test fire the 1891 Argentine that I had partially restored (had developed some rust on the underside of the barrel and the receiver so I'd bead blasted and parkerized it).

Shot my Mosin again.

Got to shoot a .50 BMG rifle. Kick wasn't too bad as far as discomfort was concerned but it was definitely a "moving" experience?

Did some practice at a longer than usual range for my 1911.

But the best part of the whole thing was my daughter. She'd bin afraid of shooting ever since a piece of hot brass had bounced off the wall at a range and landed on her bare arm.

This time, an older friend of hers (my daughter is 5, Morrigan, the friend, is 11) was shooting a Crickett rifle and my daughter was interested in seeing what she was doing. With a little coaching we got my daughter up to the line, the Crickett in her hands and her shooting. And then she did it again.

Her words "that's not so bad" and she's interested in trying again another time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    But the best part of the whole thing was my daughter. She'd bin afraid of shooting ever since a piece of hot brass had bounced off the wall at a range and landed on her bare arm.

This time, an older friend of hers (my daughter is 5, Morrigan, the friend, is 11) was shooting a Crickett rifle and my daughter was interested in seeing what she was doing. With a little coaching we got my daughter up to the line, the Crickett in her hands and her shooting. And then she did it again.

Her words "that's not so bad" and she's interested in trying again another time.

Are you aware "I'm giving away a FREE rifle..." (actually TWO Crickets)to an :ingo: members child for Christmas?

Check out the post in the Long Guns forum with that title! :D

Sounds like you had a great day. Hope there are MANY more like it!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Awesome! Sorry you couldn't make it but it sounds like educating a young one was well worth the trip!

Shooting the BFG's would be cool too! ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Let me get this straight... you bead blasted a gun that dates to 1981?!!!!!!! and then PARKERIZED IT?!!!!:bash:

talk about destroying the value.... Rust is more valuable then refinishing it with a finish that wasnt even in existance at the time.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Let me get this straight... you bead blasted a gun that dates to 1981?!!!!!!! and then PARKERIZED IT?!!!!:bash:

talk about destroying the value.... Rust is more valuable then refinishing it with a finish that wasnt even in existance at the time.

If it had been in original condition when I got it you would have a point. It had already been sporterized when I got it--barrel trimmed back several inches new front sight fitted, stock extensively redone.

I got it cheap and "collector value" is nil. I got it as a shooter, not as a wall-hanger.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If it had been in original condition when I got it you would have a point. It had already been sporterized when I got it--barrel trimmed back several inches new front sight fitted, stock extensively redone.

I got it cheap and "collector value" is nil. I got it as a shooter, not as a wall-hanger.

fair nuf:rockwoot:

Top Bottom