• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have a Mosin Nagant M44, a nice looking carbine. I took it to the range and shot about 100 rounds through it before my shoulder could take no more.

The rifle shoots high and to the right. At only 50 yards, I had to aim at the bottom-left corner of the target (11"x17") in order to correct it enough to hit the bullseye. That means I am roughly aiming 10" down and left to correct the problem. Unacceptable.

This is with or without the bayonette extended. The rear adjustable sight was slid in all the way, to the shortest range - a "1" on the scale of 1 to 10. If I adjust the rear sight it will only make it aim higher, not lower.

The height is not as troubling as the fact that I am shooting way too far to the right. There appears to be no adjustment for side-to-side aiming on these rifles.

What can I do to correct the sights?

It crossed my mind to bend the front bead, but I dunno....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    An M44 is designed to be fired with the bayo deployed. Don't bother trying to sight it with it stowed as it will invariably shoot to the right.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    An M44 is designed to be fired with the bayo deployed. Don't bother trying to sight it with it stowed as it will invariably shoot to the right.

Yes, that's what I had read and tested it that way. When I saw how off it was I tried firing with it retracted as well.... just to see.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    rambone to adjust the point of aim on the M44 you move the front sight the to the direction that it is off. You can move the front sight with a punch and hammer but it is better if you use a sight adjustment tool.

I see where the front sight slides left/right. In my case, it looks like someone made some tiny welds to keep it in place. So I guess I need to file it down and see if I can move it. Argh...

I still have an issue with the height, it shoots too high at 50yds. How can I correct this? What does the sight adjustment tool look like?

gdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Crown Point
    I thought that the LT-2 sight adjust worked on the M44 but it only works on the 91/30 and M91
    Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com

This is what I did to adjust the sight on one of the M44 I had. Took a small heavy duty c-clamp and ground down the adjusting bolt to a point to push on the side of the sight. The only problem with this is that you have to shim the other side of the c-clamp or it hits the globe part of the sight.
    M44-1.jpg

To lower your shot you need the raise the front sight some people have gotten a small roll pin that will slide tightly over the front post and then file it to the height that is needed. Other have found plastic tubing to fit the sight post.

Top Bottom