Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Truth is contained within the boundaries, but only the boundaries and what lies outside them can be known. Experience teaches us approximations to the truth (what you seem to label practical enough for use) and what is not true thus changing the boundaries which contain the truth without ever really isolating truth itself for errors are also contained within the boundaries which will only be brought to light through experience.

Okay, that explanation is clearer. That's pretty close to my own thinking.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Who knows, maybe people up there in the high cold country are adapted after centuries of less vitamin D and are harder nuts for the bug to crack. Or maybe somebody's fibbin'.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Probably just thinks he is trying to rush one through.

So do I.

Then again I would like to get Lasik but I want to wait until its proven effective.

Dude, Lasik surgeries have been performed for more than 40 years.

Modern-day LASIK a popular option for vision correction

Now that some of the skepticism of the laser-assisted procedure has waned, LASIK surgery has become relatively common. In fact, the AAO stated that 28 million LASIK procedures have been completed worldwide. Additionally, an analysis of 3,000 peer-reviewed papers by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery revealed that the patient satisfaction rate for LASIK lies at more than 95 percent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lasikvisioninstitute.com/the-history-of-lasik-surgery/?amp

I'd say the procedure is long past being proven effective.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Dude, Lasik surgeries have been performed for more than 40 years.

I'd say the procedure is long past being proven effective.

No kidding. I went from 20/700 to 20/15. It lasted 15 years. Unfortunately, my eyes have gotten bad since then. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but they told me it was a one shot deal.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    No kidding. I went from 20/700 to 20/15. It lasted 15 years. Unfortunately, my eyes have gotten bad since then. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but they told me it was a one shot deal.

My eye doc just told me two weeks ago that one eye is bad enough for a touch up. I was ready to head in but decided to wait until all this crazy crap has waned. Got mine done in 2012.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back to the topic at hand: according to latest numbers by the state, Indiana has had 3,340 COVID related deaths.
    Based on a state population of ~ 6.75 million, COVID has led to the deaths of 0.049% of the population.
    Just slightly more than 1/20th of one percent.
    Admittedly I'm not the best at math, so somebody should double check my work on that.

Thanks for the stat, I was wanting to know where that figure was now. :thumbsup:
    I stopped following the stats since the numbers were so all over the place depending on the source & the standard of what constituted a genuine covid death.
    I'm truly deficient in math skills. Please excuse if I did this wrong.
    I had to multiple 6.75 million (6,750,000) x .00049 to get 3308 deaths.

Is that correct: (.049%) is the same as (.00049) b/c you have to add two zeros to change the % to purely a decimal?

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    http://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm I can't argue with your numbers, MCgrease.

I'm still fuming over Boss Hogsett's press conference yesterday. Basically, when Marion Co. has a daily 'new case' rate of less than 35 a day for seven consecutive days the good doctor will recommend that they begin to open things back up. There are nearly 1M people in Marion Co. so the statistical likelihood that more than 35 people will not test positive in any given day...I'll just throw away my calculator. We will get to re-open after we vote the dictator out.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Back to the topic at hand: according to latest numbers by the state, Indiana has had 3,340 COVID related deaths. Based on a state population of ~ 6.75 million, COVID has led to the deaths of 0.049% of the population. Just slightly more than 1/20th of one percent.

Admittedly I'm not the best at math, so somebody should double check my work on that.

Out of the around 2% of the population that has gotten it in Vigo County, around 1% of those who have gotten it has passed away. Most were over the age of 55.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom