• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I know this thread is about COVID, but during a recent conversation someone suggested I look up the number of tuberculosis deaths each year. I did.

I had no idea that 1.5 million people die from tuberculosis annually. That's more than 4100 deaths per day. I had no idea TB is the world's most infectious disease, found in 131 countries. I had no idea that 4 out of 5 TB cases go untreated. I had no idea that it infects more than 1 million children each year.

You may not realize any of this either. So why doesn't the media doesn't breathlessly report 24/7 coverage of TB?

https://www.tballiance.org/why-new-...rganization estimates,TB and 1.5 million died.

It's not novel

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know this thread is about COVID, but during a recent conversation someone suggested I look up the number of tuberculosis deaths each year. I did.

I had no idea that 1.5 million people die from tuberculosis annually. That's more than 4100 deaths per day. I had no idea TB is the world's most infectious disease, found in 131 countries. I had no idea that 4 out of 5 TB cases go untreated. I had no idea that it infects more than 1 million children each year.

You may not realize any of this either. So why doesn't the media doesn't breathlessly report 24/7 coverage of TB?

https://www.tballiance.org/why-new-...rganization estimates,TB and 1.5 million died.
    After covid fades into the background we will forget it and then it will no longer be news for them to report. And it’s not that the media is just reactivate. They do drive narratives. But people get tired of a story and there are always new stories to drive the narratives of the day.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It's not novel

Pretty much this. "Novel" doesn't mean deadlier. It simply means a new strain, not previously identified in humans. That is important at first as we don't know properly how to deal with it and how infectious and deadly it is. This allowed everyone to obsess over it and drive the new cycle (or vice versa). We are learning more as time goes by and we get farther away from the original Chinese-only reporting that was far from accurate- for example, heavy use of ventilators that turned out to be a bad idea.

From Mcgrease08's numbers, TB has comparable death numbers to the Wuhan coronavirus even after many years of experience and treatment development.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    [h=1]Kroger stores to stop giving coins as change[/h]
    Saw this "in action" yesterday. Ladies in front of me paying cash. They "round up" the total to the nearest whole dollar and then put that rounded amount on your Kroger card and give it to you as a credit the next time you shop. :rolleyes:

https://www.wthr.com/article/money/...ange/531-3dc1f55d-3bec-4dff-92be-596307ed6455

Hmmm... Actually, that isn't too bad of a solution. It reduces pressure on them when they don't have the coins to handle cash transactions and allows you to still use cash if you wish.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hmmm... Actually, that isn't too bad of a solution. It reduces pressure on them when they don't have the coins to handle all cash transactions and allows you to still use cash if you wish.

I was in a regular checkout lane and it took a little time for the cashier to figure out how to do it (just because it's so new I'm sure). I wonder how they're handling it in the self-checkout. I know from time to time they've limited them to "card only" transactions and/or no cash-back option.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Because they can not link it to the orange man.

Yes. This. Look at everything they’ve tried, for four years, to get him out of office. None of it worked. Notice once they realized this might be the ticket, all of that other stuff has been forgotten. (Except for Maxine Waters and the tax returns. :laugh: :rolleyes: )

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I can't speak for the media, but there is significant action taken on TB every day.

Myself, I've tested thousands of cattle for Tb when I was in large animal practice. It's part of travel screening for humans and outbreaks are taken seriously.

As you probably know the challenges are primarily overseas but it's had some bumps in the US in recent years primarily in HIV patients I think.

In short, we know how to treat it but it's not under control in some countries. Americans tend to lose interest in the plight of other countries, so that may be why the media drops it. And in fairness to us, there is only so much we can do about other people's situations.

I wonder if Tb will be one of those diseases that will suffer due to in ability to get international help to others. I know vaccines are down globally and people are concerned that HIV will get worse in Africa

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Think about about what Hough said. Governors are going to act. When you have a guy like Abbott who has been of the mind many of you are (no big threat, let this run through) puts out a statewide mask mandate and closes bars, and then you have this Republican governor also tweeting about how herd immunity is just not going to work in the short term https://twitter.com/tatereeves/status/1282783825219682304 I would say they are getting concerned.

I'm not going to delve back into the "exactly what they should do" debate but they are going to continue to do "something" rather than watch their ERs get overrun, have more reports of drug shortages, and have to call in refrigerator trucks. They are also now about to face the realities of trying to minimize transmission in schools. There is no "win" for them. Whatever they do (or don't do) is going to result in some anger. Indiana's positivity rate went from 8.1% to 8.5% in one day (and it was under 5% about a week ago, as I recall).

Regardless of what is done where, we are going to continue to see various supply disruptions. And people are going to get more frustrated both from the virus and from the changes. I don't know what things will be like come November, but I suspect whichever side loses the presidency is not going to take it well.

I'm trying to mentally prepare to stay in a mindset of flexibility.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    JP Sears explains how Wuhan coronavirus policy is set:

[video=youtube;4H-6HTKNgV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-6HTKNgV0[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As far as going online or working from home, very, very few in education want to do that.

OK, I need to retract that statement.

I was talking to my wife (ed. adm.), and she's doing her usual, "These stupid people..."
    And I stopped her, "Wait - there's teachers that don't want to go back?"
    Her forehead scrunched in a look of disdain, "Oh yeah, totally."
    "Union folks?", I inquired.
    "Yeah, probably mostly union supporters."

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Kroger stores to stop giving coins as change

Saw this "in action" yesterday. Ladies in front of me paying cash. They "round up" the total to the nearest whole dollar and then put that rounded amount on your Kroger card and give it to you as a credit the next time you shop. :rolleyes:

https://www.wthr.com/article/money/...ange/531-3dc1f55d-3bec-4dff-92be-596307ed6455

What do they do for people who don't have a Kroger Card???

Eons of years ago, me and the late Mrs IBM was going to get one, we declined to do it when we found out that they wanted our Social Security#. Nope, nada, wasn't happening.

It's my money, I choose to where I want to donate, I don't want it going to something I disapprove of. How about rounding down, and actually giving the consumer a discount for being a loyal customer instead of earning interest off all that money until they decide on when and who to donate to. Because you know darn well they attempt to squeeze every penny of interest out of that accumulating money till it's handed out.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Eons of years ago, me and the late Mrs IBM was going to get one, we declined to do it when we found out that they wanted our Social Security#. Nope, nada, wasn't happening.

It's my money, I choose to where I want to donate, I don't want it going to something I disapprove of. How about rounding down, and actually giving the consumer a discount for being a loyal customer instead of earning interest off all that money until they decide on when and who to donate to. Because you know darn well they attempt to squeeze every penny of interest out of that accumulating money till it's handed out.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It is a good step in the right direction.

I've gotten two cards there and never had to give them such info. Try again. It will come with an info card that they want you to return. Just don't. Works fine without it. Easy peasy.

The Kroger card is a required part of the deal so that they know your change balance. A CC doesn't have any problem with change. Cash without some form of ID card doesn't give them a way to hold your balance for you while the have to deal with a change shortage.

If you are holding a bunch of change, now would be a good time to turn it in to help ease the shortage.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

What I always wondered about this type of program, or even the old style coin collection box on the counter, is the business doing the collection/skimming gets a huge tax deduction for donating other peoples money, yes?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It is a good step in the right direction.

I've gotten two cards there and never had to give them such info. Try again. It will come with an info card that they want you to return. Just don't. Works fine without it. Easy peasy.

The Kroger card is a required part of the deal so that they know your change balance. A CC doesn't have any problem with change. Cash without some form of ID card doesn't give them a way to hold your balance for you while the have to deal with a change shortage.

If you are holding a bunch of change, now would be a good time to turn it in to help ease the shortage.

Yeah, I've never had to give them my SSN.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have four slot machines full of coins, one nickel, two quarters and a dollar machine. Oops, the dollar machine doesn't count because I took all the silver dollars out and it uses tokens now which don't circulate.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What I always wondered about this type of program, or even the old style coin collection box on the counter, is the business doing the collection/skimming gets a huge tax deduction for donating other peoples money, yes?

That money is just "resting" in their account.
    [video=youtube;-bnh162vqk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnh162vqk4[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom