Corn's coming in early...Will it help us?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I see corn has been harvested near Edinburgh with combines heading towards more fields. I would think harvesting early would help those of us that don't hunt over a corn field. Get them deer feeding on mast instead. Last year they didn't get the corn harvested in my area until late, late, late.
    What do you think?

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    A few years ago, where I hunt, the corn hadnt been harvested for some reason in the fields next to where I was set up during gun season. I didn't see a thing. The next year I saw a ton, and the harvest was complete. I always feel like the corn getting harvested early is definitely a good thing, but I don't know if the time between harvest and season makes a big impact. It is something I would like to know. I am always nervous about the harvest being late when thinking about the upcoming season.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I am not for sure on this. I know the corn up here has ran out of gas, not enough nitrogen in ground. All the Heat past month burnt it up. I was told it has effected the ears by being smaller, but I have yet to pay attention to it. Farmer I hunt on said he tested it yesterday and was at 22.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If it's at 22% now, expect them to pick it in the coming weeks. In my experience, having corn out is good EXCEPT when the ground you hunt doesn't have any major bedding areas. Corn is good cover, actually great cover while at the same time providing an unlimited food source. Right now a good majority of the deer spend much of their day in the corn, at least around here. When you pick corn, food is still there, but it takes away the cover. If good solid bedding areas are few and far between where you hunt, the deer WILL move when the corn comes out, either to another corn field or to an area with better bedding. Also, if you're surrounded by standing corn, give hunting a try on a very windy day. I know it's not a lot of fun, but the deer will spend more time out of the corn because of all the noise the wind causes. We found that out a few years ago and use it with quit a bit of success. Good luck!

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    depends on your deer hunt style, I gave up bow hunting and only gun hunt, I want that corn in until just before gun opener!

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Corn s coming out all around Columbus, I field near my house as at 17%,dry,The major benefit to have corn out is that the deer will start to pattern a little better and not just hole up in fields.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Corn s coming out all around Columbus, I field near my house as at 17%,dry,The major benefit to have corn out is that the deer will start to pattern a little better and not just hole up in fields.
    that will bust em up for sure, the corn gathers em up, a quiet corn field with no visitors and lots of food and water nearby, small thicket with a few Oaks, er forget it, I've said too much!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I cant recall corn ever drying up this early. And I worked at a Grain Elevator for 6 years as a kid. Its turned down in the southern part of the state to. They'll be picking next month,if its dry.
    I'd say its a good thing for hunting (For me anyway) Private property between me and the state land I hunt,which has corn this year. Last time they planted corn I killed a FD's 220 lb 10 point. Took 5 hours to get him on the truck. I was over a mile from the truck and had to drag him through 2 creeks.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I was out hanging some treestands today in Morgan Co. The corn on this farm was looking pretty dry/ready. We talked to the farmer, he said it tested 19% and he'd like it to get to 15% to pick. He's pretty sure they will have it out of the field by bow opener if he doesn't get rained out.

I think this will be a PLUS for this farm, it's still got some beans, and plenty of bedding cover. In my experience, I see more deer when the corn is gone. They seem to hide in there all day when it's standing, don't show themselves much. I'll take the corn gone anyday!! The deer are good enough at hiding

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Amen to that. I had the best year in a long time last year with the crops up. I saw more bucks than normal and put one in the score books the last day of gun. Gross 158 5/8 net 148 4/8 main frame 8 point.

cooldadg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Everything by is very small ears and seems dried up, I think I will be hunting over water

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I'm in Columbus also and saw a few fields picked a couple weeks ago... We don't hunt until November, so it's usually picked anyway...

We hunt in Jennings county, which is more clay and holds moisture better, anyone know what it looks like down there?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Most of the guys I work with who hunt in the surrounding areas didn't many if any deer last year and they all said the corn was still up. I think the hunting will be better overall in most cases with the corn down. I'm really hoping the corn gets down much earlier than it did last year. We didn't see a single deer last year.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I saw a few fields being shelled yesterday (montgomery county), but where i hunt it is still standing. I'll take this over last year though, the corn was still standing in feb.

Top Bottom