• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Background: I'm a CC who was thinking of OC, but needed to prep for how the family should respond in public.

Been doing a little OC at home, just to answer questions and get the kids (none younger than 12) prepped to the knowledge that I carry. For the most part I've been CC just for avoidance of questions, and also to eliminate their "accidentally" spilling the beans at the wrong time.

Issue: Our son was caught CC with one his toy Nerf guns today at the house. I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing.

He also walked up to me yesterday while I was CC in public and purposefully poked me where I was carrying. I gave him an immediate and sturn warning. I'm not sure he has the ability to handle this knowledge. I've tried several discussion - but can't seem to figure out the right message that connects yet.

Ideas that worked for you?

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Background: I'm a CC who was thinking of OC, but needed to prep for how the family should respond in public.

Been doing a little OC at home, just to answer questions and get the kids (none younger than 12) prepped to the knowledge that I carry. For the most part I've been CC just for avoidance of questions, and also to eliminate their "accidentally" spilling the beans at the wrong time.

Issue: Our son was caught CC with one his toy Nerf guns today at the house. I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing.

He also walked up to me yesterday while I was CC in public and purposefully poked me where I was carrying. I gave him an immediate and sturn warning. I'm not sure he has the ability to handle this knowledge. I've tried several discussion - but can't seem to figure out the right message that connects yet.

I have no kids so take what I say coming from no actual experience. My child would be introduced to guns long long before 12. At 12 my child would probably be shooting a 22 rifle and handgun (supervised of course) and my carrying would have long since been known.

If I were a father in your shoes I would be available to answer any questions the child has at any time, my inexperienced opinion is that after a few weeks the child will lost any novelty interest he or she has in your carrying and it will become "normal" and the novelty interest will subside.

Obviously continue to keep your firearms in a child safe location and if he is going to CC a toy gun, make sure he is doing it right, 4 rules and all :).

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

There has to be something Freudian about this post. Or some well-disguised sarcasm. ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I typically advocate that many kids are introduced to firearms far prior to 12. Of course, this ENTIRELY depends on each kid's maturity, comprehension, ability to follow your orders, etc.

Your story is a little light in details so I think I'm confused. Does he now know that you carry and simply can't keep it a secret as you wish? or Have you not yet decided to tell him because you don't think he can handle it?

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    cover.jpg

My Parents Open Carry |

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O71l_n1Tas

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My 2 and 4 year olds have both been introduced to my firearms. It helps to kill their curiosity, and also fosters them asking me questions about guns rather than screwing around with them and potentially getting hurt.

Take your gun off your hip, show your son how to safely check to see if it is chambered, show and exercise the four rules, and let him hold it while it is unloaded. Let him point it at a wall or a target taped to the wall (I have a target for my kids to point their toy guns at hanging up)

Take him to the range and let him see what a destructive force a firearm can be. Let him shoot it (if his maturity allows it.)

Then, after all that, tell him if he touches it again you will have to give him a beating. Seriously, don't touch a man's holstered sidearm. My two year old gets his hand smacked any time he tries to touch it in the holster. Because it's chambered. He only does it about once a week, and if it is not covereed.

My four year old only watches me clean/oil and then he gets to ask questions and hold it. He is more into my 10-22 with the red dot however.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Agree with all the safety, taking to range, beating, etc.

About the CC nerf gun.
    Little boys emulate people they identify with.
    It helps form their adult identity.
    Your son chose you to emulate, instead of someone on TV.
    That's gotta be cool, and must mean you're a decent man/father to him.
    So, to me, CC the nerf gun.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I typically advocate that many kids are introduced to firearms far prior to 12. Of course, this ENTIRELY depends on each kid's maturity, comprehension, ability to follow your orders, etc.

Your story is a little light in details so I think I'm confused. Does he now know that you carry and simply can't keep it a secret as you wish? or Have you not yet decided to tell him because you don't think he can handle it?

He has trouble keeping things secret. He's shot before, had a safety class before, been through a shooting sports class a couple times, knows that I CC, helped me clean the guns, etc.

Sorry for not asking the question clearly.

So originally when he was much younger I simply CC'd, plus I wasn't fully aware of this forum and not real concerned about OC. As I've been reading this forum I've been teetering on thinking MAYBE he had matured enough to be able to handle it better than he has in the past. and I'm simply talking about the mindless chatter.

I'm taking the "he's just emulating those he admires" advice and I'll keep working with him on having the proper safety and respect.

Thanks for the replies.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    "he's just emulating those he admires"
    That's very true. My son (13 now) thinks it's cool that I CC. He asks sometimes if I have my gun with me, and usually I do. The wife is the one that seems to always put her hand on my gun (4:30) when we are shopping:dunno:

Take it as a complement that your son wants to be like you.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My nephews are 5 and 6, both parents carry,dad OC and mom purse carry, myself(OC/CC) and my gf(CC) carry as do their great aunt(CC) and several other members of the family. They have been around firearms a lot and have been instructed on what not to do. They both know if they see a gun laying around that it isn't to be touched, if they see one laying on the ground they know they are supposed to find one of us. It all begins early.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't forget the NRA eddie Eagle Rules

Eddie Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Stop — to take time to remember the rest of the instructions.
    • Don't touch — A firearm that is not touched or acted upon by an outside force is highly unlikely to fire, or endanger a person.
    • Leave the area — By leaving the area the child removes himself/herself from temptation, as well as from the danger that another person might pick up the gun and negligently cause it to fire.
    • Tell an adult — An adult, if not personally trained in handling firearms, should know enough to seek professional assistance.
    The modified version is
    • If you want to touch a gun ask mom or dad - Mom/Dad STOP whatever you are doing and allow child to touch/handle/unloaded gun and talk to them about the gun. This will reinforce that the gun is just an object not something to oh and ah about and it de-mystifies it.
    --update--
    Now as for OP's question. If the sone is going to CC the nerf gun then he needs to follow the gun rules as well. My son CCed his dart gun for a bit but then changed over to a lightsaber (same rules).

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My nephews are 5 and 6, both parents carry,dad OC and mom purse carry, myself(OC/CC) and my gf(CC) carry as do their great aunt(CC) and several other members of the family. They have been around firearms a lot and have been instructed on what not to do. They both know if they see a gun laying around that it isn't to be touched, if they see one laying on the ground they know they are supposed to find one of us. It all begins early.

Funny thing to add to this, we were having our family get together for Christmas(approximately 70 people a majority of them being children)", one of my GF's aunts Union Hall was the site. She says "we need to keep this door locked(back door) so no one comes in" she then pauses looks around " oh yeah there must be 10 guns in here, never mind"

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I taught my son early about my firearm. I let him handle it unloaded when he asks, and I regularly quiz him on the four rules.

My advice is this:

1) The fifth rule is "If you ever touch my or any gun without my permission, I'll tan your hide." He knows enough to realize that I might be a little hyperbolic, then again, I might be crazy enough to whip him good.

2) The sixth rule is "We don't talk about guns with people, especially mommy's and daddy's guns or that they carry." I OC regularly. He doesn't need to point it out to anyone or bring attention to it. It's there, big deal. If I'm CCing, he ignores it until he runs up to me to hug me or something and smacks his head against it. (OC, it's for the children. -ATM)

He knows he's supposed to ask to see it, and I'll make it safe and unloaded (in my sand barrel) and let him handle it while discussing it with him.

If your son is coming up and poking your CC'd side arm, tell him to stop poking you and poke him back. Ignore the fact that he's poking your gun, make it a non-issue. Tickle him. Pick him up and toss him around. Make him focus on something else. He'll eventually stop. Making a fuss over it is why he keeps poking it. He wants the attention.

As far as him CCing his nerf, my son does that too. Sticking a toy gun in their shorts is normal because they know guns go in holsters. It has to go somewhere when you're not using it. It just so happens that CC tends to happen because shirts are generally not tucked in, and "hiding" it lets them play the "surprise, I've got a gun" game.

Maybe that's where militant CCers get that from. They're still playing that game.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

Very worthwhile, sent my son a copy to use with his son (2)!

Don't forget the NRA eddie Eagle Rules

Eddie Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Stop — to take time to remember the rest of the instructions.
    • Don't touch — A firearm that is not touched or acted upon by an outside force is highly unlikely to fire, or endanger a person.
    • Leave the area — By leaving the area the child removes himself/herself from temptation, as well as from the danger that another person might pick up the gun and negligently cause it to fire.
    • Tell an adult — An adult, if not personally trained in handling firearms, should know enough to seek professional assistance.
    The modified version is
    • If you want to touch a gun ask mom or dad - Mom/Dad STOP whatever you are doing and allow child to touch/handle/unloaded gun and talk to them about the gun. This will reinforce that the gun is just an object not something to oh and ah about and it de-mystifies it.

Key !!!

--update--
    Now as for OP's question. If the sone is going to CC the nerf gun then he needs to follow the gun rules as well. My son CCed his dart gun for a bit but then changed over to a lightsaber (same rules).

Back in the day, I handled it like I did everything else; my kids where "introduced" to EVERYTHING in our house and "taught" about them and what to touch and NOT touch ...... it's called PARENTING !! :D

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My kids are very familiar with my guns. In fact, my older 3 boys (12, 9, and 6) all have airsoft pistols. They are saving cash from chores to buy holsters for their guns. We have paper targets set up out back for them to shoot at. The older 2 boys go to the range with me and shoot my .22lr rifle, my wife's .380 and any other .22lr they feel like borrowing.

All of my children follow the 4+1 rules of firearms. The +1 is "Don't ever touch dad's guns (or anyone elses) without asking first. If you ask, I will let you handle them, but you MUST ask first". This way, if I'm cleaning them, and they want to help, they ask first. If my 4 yr old wants to coonfinger any of them, he always says "dad, can I hold your gun?" I always recite the 4 rules to him (and make the older ones recite them back to me) and we always show any of them how to clear the magazine/chamber before we coonfinger them.

My older 2 boys can clear FTE'S and FTF's at the range (supervised but with little input from me) and they are very proficient with firearms. By having the kids be exposed to guns more, it definitely eliminates the curiosity factor. Allowing them to safely coonfinger them sometimes or help clean, gets them involved. :yesway:

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    That's very true. My son (13 now) thinks it's cool that I CC. He asks sometimes if I have my gun with me, and usually I do. The wife is the one that seems to always put her hand on my gun (4:30) when we are shopping:dunno:

Take it as a complement that your son wants to be like you.

Same cure for the wife as the two year old, smack her hand when she does it. Takes care of that little issue.

On a side note, if you do take that line of advice, please take pictures of your shiner for us.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    2) The sixth rule is "We don't talk about guns with people, especially mommy's and daddy's guns or that they carry." I OC regularly. He doesn't need to point it out to anyone or bring attention to it. It's there, big deal. If I'm CCing, he ignores it until he runs up to me to hug me or something and smacks his head against it. (OC, it's for the children. -ATM)

.[/COLOR]

Last time I said something along these lines, I got berated for not wanting to educate others.:n00b:

Top Bottom