• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I gotta ask, when being confronted from an officer, and they're giving you a hard time for open carrying, do they have a right to take your gun from you while they're talking to you??? :dunno: I've never been in an incident where i was stopped by an officer for open carrying, but if he asks for my gun, does he have a right to take it from me without probable cause?? I mean, of course I'm not gonna do anything stupid if they try, but i was curious if i ever have to write a complaint to the department. I see these videos on Youtube and such and some officers have done so.

Last edited:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    put yourself in the officers shoes. end of story i'd take it from you and then let you load it when i leave. don't get mad if i empty your clip. and also with the number of stolen guns they may have just been running it to make sure it's clean.. and you can complain all you want.. just hope you don't live in that county. you might find yourself getting pulled over often. and if you have nothing "wrong" then why not let the officer check it out....:dunno:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    put yourself in the officers shoes. end of story i'd take it from you and then let you load it when i leave. don't get mad if i empty your clip. and also with the number of stolen guns they may have just been running it to make sure it's clean.. and you can complain all you want.. just hope you don't live in that county. you might find yourself getting pulled over often. and if you have nothing "wrong" then why not let the officer check it out....:dunno:

Do LEO's initiate traffic stops just to run the VINs and see if the cars are stolen?

When does the mentality of "if you've done nothing wrong" end though? Where do you draw the line? Should we permit the government to just enter our homes whenever they want? After all, if you have done nothing wrong, what's to hide?

The LEO's that I know are MUCH too busy to worry about confronting someone who is OC'ing a firearm and not doing anything else wrong.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    drive through johnson county and smile at a police officer.. he'll probably pull you over because you look suspicious.. who cares.. it's life. in my openion officers should pull over more people than they do.
    and no OC'ing isn't a crime. but IF YOU HAVEN'T noticed this far in life it draws attention.. DUH?!

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Do LEO's initiate traffic stops just to run the VINs and see if the cars are stolen?

When does the mentality of "if you've done nothing wrong" end though? Where do you draw the line? Should we permit the government to just enter our homes whenever they want? After all, if you have done nothing wrong, what's to hide?

The LEO's that I know are MUCH too busy to worry about confronting someone who is OC'ing a firearm and not doing anything else wrong.

^^^Exactly, there is absolutely no reason that someone should be stopped for open carrying...should they stop and question someone who has a knife clipped to their pocket?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

Why not let them search your car, your house, check your banking records, and violate you anyway they see fit. I mean, if you have nothing to hide, what's the big deal?

It's not a crime to Open Carry. If an officer stops me and I'm conceal carrying, is he safer than if I'm openly carrying?

I do not consent to any search or seizure of myself or my property. He can ask you for your LTCH and you must produce it. Once you have, all questions about said firearm are supposed to end. Am I being detained? Am I free to go? Silence.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw

Yea i get what your saying. I start police academy in January so I'm kinda asking for both sides.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    drive through johnson county and smile at a police officer.. he'll probably pull you over because you look suspicious.. who cares.. it's life. in my openion officers should pull over more people than they do.
    and no OC'ing isn't a crime. but IF YOU HAVEN'T noticed this far in life it draws attention.. DUH?!

Even if they've committed no offense? You seem way too quick to give away our liberties.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Does this ring a bell?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Open carrying is a crime...

So is carrying concealed.

Positive defense against being charged, however, is possession of a valid IN LTCH (or another state's license/permit)

But according to case law, once a valid IN LTCH is provided, then all further inquiry into the handgun/s is to cease.

-J-

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    How so? You're suggesting that a LEO stop a person OC'ing to check to see if the firearm is stolen. How many stolen cars do you think there are compared to stolen firearms?

i never once said that's what the officer should pull you over for, or if they should do it EVERYTIME.. but if you reeport your car stole. they will nearly stop every cer that fits the description in that area. now if someone calls and says i've had my house broken into and my firearms are missing..well put two and two together.. once again.. you don't know what he's dealing with nor does he have to tell you. put yourself in his shoes. not trying to 'fight' just my :twocents:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

Fine, then voluntarily request an LEO to pull you over whenever you want, but don't ask me to participate in your police state. Show me your papers!!!

I disagree with you on Johnson county LEOs as well. I've never been pulled over and have chatted with a couple while OCing. Greenwood LEOs are pretty cool as well, from the ones I've met at least.

Bottom line, I've never been harassed by a Greenwood LEO or a Johnson County Sheriffs Deputy for OCing in the GWood.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yea i get what your saying. I start police academy in January so I'm kinda asking for both sides.

CONGRATS AND GOODLUCK!

nothing wrong with asking, every officer has a way of doing 'his business'
    like it or not.. he's the one with a badge..
    best of luck sent your way, be safe..

Top Bottom