Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    what caliber do you recommend for deer huntin

Need WAY more info.

This is like asking, "I'm going to drive a Chevy cross-country. What kind of gas should I use?"

If you TRULY want to know, you could TRY a search, or at LEAST give a little more detail. Let folks know you have a serious question, and are NOT just trying to hit "50 MEANINGFUL posts"

Most people miss that bold part! That, or they choose to ignore it.

O.K.

How long is your barrel?
    Are you talking pistol or rifle?
    Calibers that are legal for deer in Indiana are MANY when you talk about the Contender.
    It depends a LOT on your configuration.

Next, What are your hunting parameters? How long would your longest shot be? What about shortest?

This is a single shot, so are you adept at quick reloads?

I have, and have taken deer with my Thompson Center Arms Contender in the following calibers,

.357 magnum 12" barrel Pistol frame
    .44magnum 14" barrel
    .45 Colt 14" barrel
    .410ga 24" barrel Rifle frame
    209x.45 muzzle loader 24" barrel

Pleas note: The calibers are listed in two categories, rifle and pistol frames.

Although these barrels, fore-arms/stocks will FIT and interchange, it is NOT legal to do so from rifle to pistol, without proper paperwork.

It is my understanding that if you purchase a "rifle frame" you may NOT convert it into a "pistol" without filling out Atf paperwork, and your gun is now PERMANENTLY a pistol.

Likewise in the converse. If you bought a "pistol frame", it must remain a "pistol", and can NOT be converted to a rifle without that dreaded paperwork again!

I own two frames, one "rifle" and one "pistol" frame;)

Hope you make it to 50! (Posts):D

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I asked T/C about the rifle to pistol conversion and they said that it was no problem and perfectly legal. They also said that the serial numbers weren't rifle or pistol specific. Hopefully they would know.

As to the original question, .35 Remington works good for me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I asked T/C about the rifle to pistol conversion and they said that it was no problem and perfectly legal. They also said that the serial numbers weren't rifle or pistol specific. Hopefully they would know.

As to the original question, .35 Remington works good for me.

T/C and the ATF have been going at this for YEARS!

T/C DOES say it's o.k.
    ATF says it is NOT!

I do NOT want to be the test case, which is why I own two frames!;)

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    sorry i just dont know much about them, ive always wanted one, my grandpa had one 35 rem, im not sure what my longest shot would be but i hunt alot of farm land so i might have to shoot a good distance, i want something fast, capable of long shots, accuracy, and enough knockdown power, i was think 270 or somewhere in that range, my buddy has one thats chambered in 7mm ultra mag i believe, and i want the pistol version

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I must agree with the 35 remington,shot a little buck 2 yrs ago at about 65 yrds and folded him up. As for the ammo I have not had a problem finding it around seymour. My brother took it home to Wisconsin for a hunt this year. have not heard results. This round also works great on hogs.

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN
    T/C

I hunt with a Encore 30-06 and a Burris 2-12 pistol scope with TSOB rings and base. I have been using this pistol since they came out with it, harvested many deer over the years with it. It does have a lot of recoil but I still shoot one handed no problem (the other hand on the shooting stick). I can keep it in a paper plate at 300 yards. I reload using 150 gr. Hornady SST bullets accuracy was good with factory ammo but my handloads are amazing, the bullet is sticking out of the case so it is .005 away from touching the rifling. I have shot over one hundred rounds through it over the years I actually enjoy shooting it. If you are recoil sensitive go for something smaller.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    The .35 scoped is really accurate.
    I have a .45-70 bbl in 16" with iron sites that I have been itching to use on a deer though.

If you dont already have the contender, I would opt for the encore myself, it's a heavier frame with higher power possibilities. :twocents:

Top Bottom