• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am sure that this is not the first time this question has been asked, but when I search AR info it is a little overwhelming.

So, I am looking for my first AR, I am considering RRA, Colt, S & W.
    I understand that with Colt you are paying extra for the name, but they are still a nice AR from what I have heard.

My question is, opinions on what model and or options I should get so that I do not look back in a year and say, I should have got this one.

I want something I can be proud of but I do not want to get overloaded with accessories. I have around a 1000.00 to spend.

Again, sorry if this is too much of a novice question, I just want to get a handle on what is available.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I got VERY LUCKY, and got a Colt, MATCH, traded a lever action rifle, and put a CHEAP scope on it, and I have less than $1000.00 in it .....:twocents: this is post 3400...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That is what I have heard, however there are all kind of options with them. I am pretty sure I do not want one with the fixed handle on top though.

I built two with a carry handle and wish I built just one. I will be swapping out the upper for a flat top. I would recommend NOT doing a carry handle. It is easy and fairly inexpensive to add one, but harder to mount optics. They make carry handle mounts, but it puts the optics so high that they are almost unusable.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yep, all three are good, but if you want the best get Colt, or you will regret it. Their barrels are just superior, and the receivers are now stamped 'M4 Carbine' which is neat. Some RRA models are great deals, where you get an excellent stock, chrome bolt, quad rail, and more, but the barrels are usually heavier 1/9 twist, which isn't really bad, but the 1/7 is more desirable. S&W probably has 1/9 twist too, and you're still paying for a big brand name. At least with RRA you get more for your money I think.

I recommend you go hold a Colt, and feel the barrel, how it is etched to be non reflective, and how high quality it is in general. If you do buy a Colt LE6920, then you will never feel like you need to replace it with a better model.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Yep, all three are good, but if you want the best get Colt, or you will regret it. Their barrels are just superior, and the receivers are now stamped 'M4 Carbine' which is neat. Some RRA models are great deals, where you get an excellent stock, chrome bolt, quad rail, and more, but the barrels are usually heavier 1/9 twist, which isn't really bad, but the 1/7 is more desirable. S&W probably has 1/9 twist too, and you're still paying for a big brand name. At least with RRA you get more for your money I think.

I recommend you go hold a Colt, and feel the barrel, how it is etched to be non reflective, and how high quality it is in general. If you do buy a Colt LE6920, then you will never feel like you need to replace it with a better model.

That is a nice weapon. Is the LE6920 their base line model?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Get a Colt LE6920!!! I bought mine from GT Tactical because they were the cheapest I could find, I got the MOE version because I thought it felt better. Under $1000 for LE6920!!! MIL spec everything, no junk.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Have you thought about building one yourself? I really enjoyed building my own and every time I look at it I think "yeah, I built this" to me it makes me more proud of it. Plus, you get to pick and choose what goes into your build.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking at my first AR. I have heard a lot of good things about all of the guns listed. I am looking at the Colt LE6920 primarily because it seems to be a superior rifle, but also because I am trying to get into law enforcement and I believe the Colt LE6920 is pretty much universally accepted as a patrol weapon.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I understand that with Colt you are paying extra for the name, but they are still a nice AR from what I have heard.

My question is, opinions on what model and or options I should get so that I do not look back in a year and say, I should have got this one.

You are NOT paying extra for name. :rolleyes:
    That comment comes from those that have not done any research, and from those that think a low end rifle is the same as the ones that cost more because "they look and shoot the same".

Stop, read, read some more.

If you want a serious rifle, get the Colt.
    If you want a range toy to impress your friends, get whatever.

If you get a range toy, I'll guarantee sometime before the year is up and you've gotten into AR's, you'll be wishing you got the Colt.

If you are looking for a M4 style AR, the Colt 6920 is it.

A few others to consider are LMT and BCM.

WalMart has the Colt 6920 for less than $1100.
    DSG Arms sell them for $995

They are out of stock right now, but they get them in regularly.
    Colt Model 6920 M4 Carbine w/ 16" Barrel and Rogers Super Stock

Another to consider is the Colt 6720. These have the lighweight barrel and are very nice.

$975 Colt Model 6720 Lightweight 16" Carbine

What ever direction you choose, research, research, research. Then purchase.

:twocents:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    OP compare the lightweight 6720-type barrel to the M4 profile barrel.
    AR-15/M16 Hammer Forged Barrels - Brownells
    The M4 barrel adds weight on the wrong end of the barrel, weight that serves no purpose for your/our needs. The M4 profile became popular because it's what the military uses, that's it.
    The 6720 is not only lighter, but is a much better handling gun because it is not front-end heavy.
    The 6720 is my favorite 16" AR15 and it's not often that I carry an AR with a M4 barrel.
    The price of $975 at DSG is an excellant deal.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Have you thought about building one yourself? I really enjoyed building my own and every time I look at it I think "yeah, I built this" to me it makes me more proud of it. Plus, you get to pick and choose what goes into your build.

I did think about that, but right now I am honestly not that comfortable with the AR's yet. Anyway, once I get one this would give me a good reason to build one later. Always got to think ahead in order to justify it to the wife.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    You are NOT paying extra for name. :rolleyes:
    That comment comes from those that have not done any research, and from those that think a low end rifle is the same as the ones that cost more because "they look and shoot the same".

Stop, read, read some more.

If you want a serious rifle, get the Colt.
    If you want a range toy to impress your friends, get whatever.

If you get a range toy, I'll guarantee sometime before the year is up and you've gotten into AR's, you'll be wishing you got the Colt.

If you are looking for a M4 style AR, the Colt 6920 is it.

A few others to consider are LMT and BCM.

WalMart has the Colt 6920 for less than $1100.
    DSG Arms sell them for $995

They are out of stock right now, but they get them in regularly.
    Colt Model 6920 M4 Carbine w/ 16" Barrel and Rogers Super Stock

Another to consider is the Colt 6720. These have the lighweight barrel and are very nice.

$975 Colt Model 6720 Lightweight 16" Carbine

What ever direction you choose, research, research, research. Then purchase.

:twocents:

Thanks, I think I am leaning toward the Colt.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Well, I decided on the 6920mp od green after finding one on sale.
    Thanks for all opinions, let you know how it turns out after I get it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    People who say, "your paying for the name" need to think about something; How did the name become so important that people are willing to "pay" for it?

Top Bottom