• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    ok well i think i would like a pocket gun and i've been looking at the LCP and the kel-tech p-3at. what's the differences (if any really) also do you think this would be a good gun for the wife to start firing on?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    consider carefully, you are responceble for every bullet that comes out of that gun, and tiny pocket guns are not known for accuracy, that being said any gun is better than no gun at all.

Consider something like a J Frame, its small, controlable, and decently affordable. not to mention easy. If your wife has to pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire, all she has to do is pull the trigger again.

On a semi auto, if she has to pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire, she has to clear the dud round and and chamber another one.

just my 2 cents.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are good guns, some like one over the other but it is personal preferrence. A .380 while not a large caliber, out of that small of a gun with a DAO trigger pull may not be the best to start with, but everyone is different. I know several people that do not enjoy shooting their .380 pocket guns for extended lengths of time. They are great guns though and come in very handy for easy carry and deep concealment. Good luck with your decision.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I love my LCP, but I will say they are a little....snappy, as in there was more kick to it since it is so small and light weight.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I recently bought a Sig P238 for pocket carry. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but that should change this weekend. From what I've read/seen, it's pretty accurate for it's size and the weight of the metal frame and single action trigger help. I'll do a range report after this weekend.

Last edited:

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Tried it 4 times, failed all 4 times. p22, Pf9, p11, and foolishly a glock 27.

Could never draw well out of my pocket, I mean try it, its not easy, could never get a pocket holster to fit just right, I mean try it, all my pockets are shaped differently.

If you can get it to work, go for it, I however, could not.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I actually had this same problem when I was buying a pocket gun for summer carry. I actually got a chance to have my wife shoot a LCP. She didnt like it at all. But my uncle had a P32 and she was able to fire that no problem. So I bought one. It has been a accurate little gun but guess what...she never showed interest again. So now I'm planning on trading it in on an LCP.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    IIRC, the LCP runs just a tad smaller than the Kel-Tec. If you want your wife to be able to operate it, make sure she has strong enough hands to rack the slide. My wife couldn't on my Kel-Tec. If she can't, I'd say look into a revolver.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I know the little guns are cute and all...but have you considered a small, 5-shot revolver in .38+P? The little revolvers in .38 carry a heck of a better punch than a .380 caliber pistol, and for defensive purposes...I wouldn't consider anything less.

Personally, I chose the Ruger LCP (it's just 13.5 oz and XS Sights makes a beautiful front night sight for it). It's accurate, simple to use, you can use standard .38's or bump up to +P's for more punch, and it comes factory with a Hogue rubber tamer grip on it. Desantis, Fobus, and Galco all make holsters for it...so you have several to choose from.

Other small frame manufactures are Smith & Wesson, Charter Arms, and Taurus (but I wouldn't bet my life on those).

Good luck!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As to your "pocket gun", please get a holster for safety's sake. As well, please remember the down sides to pocket car and take them into consideration.

As to your wife, why not let her pick? Have a rental range or a buddy with a bunch of different stuff?

Remember, when it comes to guns, the subjective is objective.:D

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have carried a P3AT for over 2 years. The pistol has a belt clip added and I just slip it inside the waistband and put the clip behind my belt. It is all but invisible to only the most knowledgeable people on firearms. I recently added a Crimson Trace Laser because sights on pistols like these suck. This gun is for CLOSE engagements, obviously, and the laser is perfect for this. I highly recommend them.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would like to carry my G17 all day every day, but what I would like to do and what I can do are not always the same thing. When deep concealment is paramount a small auto really shines. I have tried a 5 shot .357 magnum for pocket carry without much success. Maybe it's because I have a smaller build, but it looked huge in my pocket.

Last edited:

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I carry the keltec on a dayly basis and so do most of the guys at class 3 sales. I love it and have had no problems with it of any sort. the ruger is nice but it does seem to be a little more snappy compared to my keltec. another one i like and a friend of mine owns is the Diamondback it has a true three dot sight that helps with accuracy in the aiming perspective.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I owned a Kel Tec, great little gun (after I did the fluff and buff) but I never felt confident with the .380 round. Bought a Kel Tec PF9, 9mm, and it's a great gun, but it turned out to be just a tad big for the pocket, so I sold it, too.

Now I've come full circle and want a nice little pockte .380 that I can carry everywhere all the time. I'm looking at the Micro Desert Eagle.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    kirk im not shure on where your located but id be glad to let you shoot my Keltec in the shop some time if youd like.

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    Like some of the others said, I'd probably urge your wife to start with a small revolver until she had more time to get more proficient with a semi-auto. I have the Kel-tec and really like it. Thinking a lot about a Diamondback though. They're getting really good reviews from what I've seen.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    or look at the kahr 380 or sig 380. much more controllable, a bit bigger but better guns for sure. that said i own 2 ruger lcp's and one is with me everywhere i go period. i have no problems shooting them out to 20 yards. my wife on the other hand hates those little guns though she does think they are "cute". my buddies wife swore she wanted one cause it was so cute he bought her one and after 10 shots she said take it back lol so he is now carrying one also.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I acquired a slightly used Ruger LCP off a forum member, and I found the small pocket pistol to be a little snappy.

I added a Pearce Grip Extension to each of the magazines which let me get an additional finger on the grip which improved my accuracy greatly.

I also added a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve which seemed to remove a little bit of the felt recoil, and I believe this also improved my accuracy.

YMMV.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom