• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    1000 opinions en route. Depends on budget. I have a Savage 10FLP (.308), easily a 1000 yrd gun sub MOA. IGW has a FN in .308. What's the difference, about $600 and < 1/10th MOA. I imagine the Remmy 700 falls in between there some where.

I love my Savage, IMO best out of the box shooter you can find, and with a working mans budget.

Optics, IGW has a USO $2100 scope. I have a WOTAC $450, significantly different optics, both in MOA, both great glass and both get the job done.

IGW with his FN and USO
    DSCN28041.jpg

My Savage with Nightforce (not my scope)
    fornick60-1.jpg

WOTAC
    wonders_optics041002.jpg
    wonders_optics041003.jpg

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    you have way to open of a quesiton here

Savage and Remy make what ever you want, but you need to get realistic with the budget first, off the shelf hunting gun $600, 1k yard tac driver $1200+ if you buy off the shelf and don't shop, and that doesn't include the 4-600 for the scope,

You can even get specific with 308 and buy/build a palma gun, built for shooting 155palma bullets at 600 -1000

redifine questions and we can help

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    While I don't personally care for the look and feel of the Savage rifles, the 10FP as Redneckmedic mentioned is probably the most accurate, best bang for the buck rifle out of the box. Their Accutrigger is very nice also.

You will find that there are many more optional accessories for the Remington 700 rifles and a 700P will shoot sub MOA out of the box. The 700 is a great platform to build upon if you think you may want to customize it later down the road.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If distance is your thing, have you looked at the specs on 6.5mm compared to .308? Not trying to start a war here, but it's worth the time. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    to me it depends on if you plan to leave the gun stock or upgrade. a savage starts off more accurate (usually) but a remington can be more accurate than the savage ever can be if you want to invest the coin.

basically if you are going to leave it stock go savage/tcventure if not than go remington. plus there are a ton of used parts for the 700 compared to the amount of used parts for the mod 70 or the savage

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If distance is your thing, have you looked at the specs on 6.5mm compared to .308? Not trying to start a war here, but it's worth the time. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

im a huge 260 fan (6.5) but i would not recomend it to the non reloader. in 308 if you dont reload you can get fgmm and you are probably gtg. the 260 has no equivilant in factory ammo that im aware of although i have to admit i never looked

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    alright let me clarify... im looking for budget here so im more than likely to go with a savage. what are my options from this approach?

i have very limited experiance with the savage but from what i hear and read you really wont be disipointed with any of them. i would get one with accutrigger outside of that just pick the model with the features you like

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm going to be unpopular here but I myself hate the accutriger from Savage the spring loaded "Center" Trigger (or whatever they call it) is an annoyance to good trigger control,

BUT let me clarify my standing, What I consider a good trigger is something like the Anschutz triggers for a 2 stage and the good Timney or the like for a single stage, and both those start blowing the budget right now.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the Rem 700 5R Mil Spec and love it. Very accurate (Sub MOA) for me. I have taken it out to 740 and do fairly well. I'm new to the long range shooting. I was out this past week shooting 3" groups at 540 on a day will little wind. I would say in my case my skills have not yet matched the rifle.

I have added the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 56mm ZS optic. (pic below is the 50mm that is now on the POF 308). I also added the B&C stock to it.

picture.php

4shot group after the scope was dialed in for zero at 200 yards.

picture.php

picture.php

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    alright let me clarify... im looking for budget here so im more than likely to go with a savage. what are my options from this approach?

What is your budget?

The higher end 700's are around a grand (off the shelf flavor) and others can be bought closer to $700.

I bought a pretty high on the optic (+$1500) in the event I am able to up in caliber in the future. My scope can move forward to a 338 or whatever I work into next. (long time out) Do the research and get the best glass you can afford.

Don't cheat a good rifle with bad glass.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Do the research and get the best glass you can afford.

Don't cheat a good rifle with bad glass.

Truer words can not be said about a complete set up.

However, training is your ultimate guide. My first scope was a Super Sniper 10x, I now have a Wotac, and eventually would like to put a US Optics on.
    I will honestly say, at this point I do not have enough time behind my rifle to out shoot my first $300 scope. I only bought a wotac as that is what I have on my Savage 22lr trainer and wanted to train the right way.

It is OK to baby step you glass.

Savage Packages.... again there is a special number that you should have in mind for budget. I would look at the bare bones 10FP or 110 packages with stock everything. Then purchase a stock of your liking. This guy (Kevin) is a real straight shooter, who I had do all my stock work, makes great stocks. Get one unpainted and finish it yourself, duracoat is very easy to do. Then contact Mark High Smith or IGW for a accurizing package, (truing and timing the bolt) inletting the stock to the barrel, ext.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I have been down your road and have hours of research for the Savage rifle build.

HTH RNM

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Savage! Savage! Savage! In my not so unbiased opinion.

I don't say buy a savage because they're cheaper than a remington. I say buy a savage because in most cases they'll outshoot a remington right out of the box. Them costing less is just a bonus.

If you're going to go for the best reliable setup for the absolute lowest dollar you can get I'd say look for a used 10FP or any other heavy barreled savage. There are great bargains out there and you can wait until after hunting season and you'll see amazing deals online.

Regarding optics, the best bang for the buck is the Bushnell elite 3200 10X in my opinion. I've had one on a savage predator and it's a rock solid repeatable scope for just shy of $200 to your door brand new. The next step up is the SWFA super sniper series 10X that's either $300 or $400. Everyone should have one of the bushnell 3200 10X scopes just as a spare if nothing else.

Personally, I've looked through the glass on nightforce and us optics scopes at the range and they are very nice, but they're not going to do anything for me that I couldn't do with a bushnell 3200 10X or a SWFA SS10X. A reliable 10X will get you out to 1000 yards no problem. Spend the money on a nightforce or USO if you're going to bet your life on it or get into competition for money. Otherwise the 3200 10X or SWFA 10X especially when you're starting out and getting a feel for what you like and don't like.

Usually when I talk with guys who are just starting to get into long range shooting I usually try to urge them to buy a 223. The effective range of the 223 is far less than the 308, but if you're buying a gun to learn the ropes and actually do some real practicing with it then the 223 will be a lot easier with the price of ammo. I reload 223 ammo for half of what I can reload 308 ammo, and buying factory ammo is about the same in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Truer words can not be said about a complete set up.

However, training is your ultimate guide. .....
    .... Then contact Mark High Smith or IGW for a accurizing package, (truing and timing the bolt) inletting the stock to the barrel, ext.

HTH RNM

I had Mark Highsmith and IGW work on my 700. They both do great work. Definitely recommend them without hesitation.

I cannot speak about the savage as I've not used one.

Top Bottom