Confuzzled about Land Between the Lakes in KY...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I've read the stuff and handgunlaw.us (saved as a favorite right above INGO), and I'm confused about LBL. I'm thinking about going camping there this summer, and I'd like to carry as I go. What the stuff from the site says is two different things it seems. In one part, it says that possession is illegal unless you have a permit specifically authorizing it. Further down, it says that it's illegal, but that the LEO's there will ignore it unless there are other aggravating factors. So the question is, plain and simple, can I carry there? I've seen posts here that go both ways saying yes and no. It's a damn shame that we even have to figure stuff like this out, but LBL is looking like a good destination for us this summer and I'd like to be able to keep us safe should the need arise.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Don't know about carrying there, last time I was there I signed all the paperwork to ride and paid the fee and the guy told us dead serious to "stay out of the puddles and no mudding". I should have asked for my money back ....

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The letter on handgunlaw.us is dated April 2010. I thought that President Obama signed an order a couple of years ago that allowed firearms in national parks and other federal land.

I would never trust an email that says "it's illegal, but we don't usually enforce it".

Dug a little deeper - http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf -

11. Bureau of Land Management* If you can legally carry in the state the BLM land is in you can carry
    on the BLM land. If it is not legal the area will be posted as no firearms allowed. Any building on the BLM
    land operated by the federal government is considered federal property and carry in those buildings is not
    allowed.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I emailed them a few years ago and received written "permission" to carry but in reality it is in the backwoods of Kentucky and Tennessee, it ain't like we're talking about a park in Indiana lol.

Keep it in your pack or concealed and you won't have a problem. There is even a shooting range on the property and hunting too.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    Well, if anything this give me the excuse to get the CC gun I've been wanting. My SR9c, even as small as it is, is harder to conceal, and I dont want to have a "fanny pack".

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Why do guns laws have to be so confusing. The verbage always sounds like a circle jerk. Yes you can carry, but...if blah blah blah. Just say yes or no amd make it clear. Hell, I bet the damn park rangers arent 100% clear on the law. They would probably throw you in jail amd clear it up later.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Why do guns laws have to be so confusing. The verbage always sounds like a circle jerk. Yes you can carry, but...if blah blah blah. Just say yes or no amd make it clear. Hell, I bet the damn park rangers arent 100% clear on the law. They would probably throw you in jail amd clear it up later.

Have you had any experience with rural Kentucky LEOs? It doesn't sound like it.

The reason gun laws don't make sense is because even the politicians know they shouldn't exist so they make them wordy and hope the peasants don't notice. For the most part they are right.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    being from the hills of Kentucky, I can tell you that's not how a local LEO will handle it. Down there you don't have to have a license for open carry and also extends to certain factory compartments in your vehicle (I.e. Glove box) its not uncommon at all for them to run into people that carry. Probably more often than here in Indiana. Where I'm from if your in immediate need of a police officer your screwed because they only come through when called or twice a month, and when you do call even running lights and sirens are 20-30mins away, so the vast majority carry. Given these factors together in sure you would notice a big difference in the way it is handled there and the general Leo attitude towards carry.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    KY is a concealed carry state, so open carry is not allowed. Open carry use to be legal there, I believe open carry without a permit went away when KY passed the the concealed carry laws. The state of KY does honor the IN LTCH. A sticky part of the question was if it is Army Corpse of Engineers property it use to be considered Federal property and not allowed. Last I heard this was knocked down by the courts and you can carry on Army Corpse of Engineer property. I don't recall if Army Corps of Engineers filed an appeal but here is a link to the topic. If you google the topic look at the dates, lots of old information out there stating it is illegal.

Judge Strikes Down Gun Ban on Army Corps of Engineers' Land | The Truth About Guns

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Handgunlaw.us Opencarry.org and several other sites still list Kentucky as umlicenced Open carry being legal... are you sure you have your information right:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    KY is a concealed carry state, so open carry is not allowed. Open carry use to be legal there, I believe open carry without a permit went away when KY passed the the concealed carry laws. The state of KY does honor the IN LTCH. A sticky part of the question was if it is Army Corpse of Engineers property it use to be considered Federal property and not allowed. Last I heard this was knocked down by the courts and you can carry on Army Corpse of Engineer property. I don't recall if Army Corps of Engineers filed an appeal but here is a link to the topic. If you google the topic look at the dates, lots of old information out there stating it is illegal.

Judge Strikes Down Gun Ban on Army Corps of Engineers' Land | The Truth About Guns

First I have seen of that. Great News! I'll do more more research as soon as I have some time.

I would LOVE to visit some ACoE properties here in Indiana.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

Why do you bother to post incorrect info?

KY is a huge OC state...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom