• ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Please help me understand something.

My friend goes to a gun show and finds a good deal on a handgun he has been looking for for his wife. Happens to mention he is getting it for her and is told they can't sell it to him.

Given that 2 persons are allowed to complete a sale between one another could he buy it and then "sell" it to her?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Please help me understand something.

My friend goes to a gun show and finds a good deal on a handgun he has been looking for for his wife. Happens to mention he is getting it for her and is told they can't sell it to him.

Given that 2 persons are allowed to complete a sale between one another could he buy it and then "sell" it to her?

Buying gifts is explicitly stated as an exception to the straw purchasing provisions. It's still a bad idea to mention that you're buying for someone else, as your friend found out, because some dealers are so paranoid about straw purchase stings (and rightly so) that they won't do anything that even smells like they don't have the intended owner.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Buying gifts is explicitly stated as an exception to the straw purchasing provisions. It's still a bad idea to mention that you're buying for someone else, as your friend found out, because some dealers are so paranoid about straw purchase stings (and rightly so) that they won't do anything that even smells like they don't have the intended owner.

Correct.

It is not legal to buy guns for other people (straw purchases). It is legal to buy guns as gifts for your close friends/family members. The problem comes in with how you say things to the dealer. No dealer wants to get busted for selling a gun in a straw purchase. So if the guy says something that makes the dealer question who the gun will go to then the dealer is not to blame for refusing to sell the gun.

The best bet is to walk into the dealer and say something like HEY, I WANT TO BUY A GUN FOR MY WIFE AS A GIFT. . . HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT? That type of thing makes it very clear about what is happening and the dealer can choose to move forward or to tell the guy to go shop somewhere else.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The best bet is to walk into the dealer and say something like HEY, I WANT TO BUY A GUN FOR MY WIFE AS A GIFT. . . HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT? That type of thing makes it very clear about what is happening and the dealer can choose to move forward or to tell the guy to go shop somewhere else.

And possibly suggest the dealer call ATF to confirm that purchase of a gift is legal.

Alternatively, jump through all the hoops of buying the gun. Once it is yours, any lawful thing you do with it is your own business. In other words, go, sign the papers, pay your money, and keep your mouth shut as to the intended recipient... so long as that recipient is a lawful gun owner.

Blessings,
    Bill

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Alternatively, jump through all the hoops of buying the gun. Once it is yours, any lawful thing you do with it is your own business. In other words, go, sign the papers, pay your money, and keep your mouth shut as to the intended recipient... so long as that recipient is a lawful gun owner.

Blessings,
    Bill

Exactly ! ^^^

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Another thing you can do is put a down payment on it and come back with your wife later.

I did this with my wife and her Sig. I found the gun, bought it, but had them set it back for me. Told them it was for my Wife's birthday and that I was buying it for her. So then she was going to come in later and fill out the paperwork.

It's always an option.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If you say "It's a gift" and the dealer has questions, could both individuals fill out paperwork and be NICS checked on the same gun?

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    And possibly suggest the dealer call ATF to confirm that purchase of a gift is legal.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well, if you are buying one of those pink guns, you might not wanna act like it's for you! :)

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I bought 2 of the same guns. I said without thinking, "I'm looking to get my wife one of the same for her B-Day", 5 minutes later walked out with both firearms.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, if you are buying one of those pink guns, you might not wanna act like it's for you! :)

I am secure in my masculinity. :pimp: ;)

Besides... kinda like the pic by Oleg Volk.. if a woman happens to be wearing a skirt when she needs her pistol and in the process of getting it, flashes the BG... he ain't gonna be tellin' anyone about it.

Same thing: If he wants to make fun of the guy with the pink gun, he'll be doing it from a hospital bed or a jail cell. "Go ahead... tell us again how the guy with the sissy-looking gun kicked your :moon:!" :lmfao:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom