• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Years ago I worked at a County Highway Dept. and every year they had a Sherrifs auction of the things conficated and not claimed including guns. It seems to me the law back then was that they could not destroy the firearms and they had to be sold in the auction. Years later they would have the auction but would send the guns to a private auctioneer to sale who at best was "shady" I just wonder if anyone knows the laws on how or what they do with conficated guns nowdays.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe every county is different now. I used to go to the Marion County Sheriff's auctions and was able to find some really nice firearms. Then all of a sudden it wasn't politically correct to auction off firearms, so that stopped. Funny, with the cash shortage, you would think selling firearms to honest people would help offset the lack of taxes the state and countys are stealing from us!

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Sullivan county did this last year. At the auction we were told a couple guns were destroyed but the other 200 went up on the block. There were some high bids going to for some guns that hadn't been taken care of. On a side note, one person told me they were against the auction because the county would make money off of it...:rolleyes:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Sullivan county did this last year. At the auction we were told a couple guns were destroyed but the other 200 went up on the block. There were some high bids going to for some guns that hadn't been taken care of. On a side note, one person told me they were against the auction because the county would make money off of it...:rolleyes:

Sounds like a real Einstein that was against the auction. I would think that the counties would want to generate funds any way legally possible. My county only has maybe 6500 people in it and we can use any money we can get.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I believe according to Indiana Law, it is the responsibility of the Prosecutor.
    Lake County's conficcated guns go directly to U.S. Steel Gary Works.
    No matter the value.
    It is sad.
    Just as sad as the Prosecutor's Gun Trade in.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I remember abc doing a special on the sales in indianapolis many years ago. They were going on about how these guns were going back on the street. They even had hidden camera footage of the auction showing dealers looking at saturday night specials that were zip tied about 10 together. I dont know where they go anymore but I can imagine.

cue7467

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield Indiana
    I remember that episode considering it showed my face. It was on 20/20 I think I have a tape of it somewhere.

I remember abc doing a special on the sales in indianapolis many years ago. They were going on about how these guns were going back on the street. They even had hidden camera footage of the auction showing dealers looking at saturday night specials that were zip tied about 10 together. I dont know where they go anymore but I can imagine.

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Up north here St. Joseph county they all go to the incinerator!! Think about the arsenal of beautiful and powerful guns that they just destroy! Makes me sick. I could see how they couldnt put a gun that was used for a murder back on the street being that the gun would still produce those same rifling characteristics that probably got the guy caught to begin with. Computer glitch and all the sudden you are arrested for the murder that took place before you were born!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Up north here St. Joseph county they all go to the incinerator!! Think about the arsenal of beautiful and powerful guns that they just destroy! Makes me sick. I could see how they couldnt put a gun that was used for a murder back on the street being that the gun would still produce those same rifling characteristics that probably got the guy caught to begin with. Computer glitch and all the sudden you are arrested for the murder that took place before you were born!

I seem to recall that all the stuff about rifling marks and such is bunk due to the depositing of fouling in a barrel when any round is fired-that is, the first and third (for example) shots will not produce identical marks on a fired bullet. Ballistic markings are not responsible for many convictions, CSI notwithstanding, based on what I read (which I think was here.)
    Further, the weapon used in X crime could still be released for sale after a conviction is obtained or the statute of limitations expires, not to mention a sale of a firearm at auction would still go through a FFL dealer, thus a paper trail would be created to establish when someone came into possession of a firearm.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    When I worked at the foundry, I saw a good many firearms go into the cauldron.
    Made me very sick to watch valuable and sometime antique firearms go bye bye.

bigbird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    we has a auction last year, they had about 20 guns and about 500 people, the sheriff even said a couple were used to kill people , but he wouldn't tell us which ones. they all went to the local ffl for paper work. most people paid more than new, I don't get auctions sometimes, but I'm glad the county got the money .

bigbird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    probably back in the streets

just so they are not in the same hands it shouldn't matter, I was told the gun buyback programs pay guys to bring in rare guns just to show off to the cameras then they go back home with the owners, Who in their right mind would sell a ar-15 or luger for a 50 or 100$ gift card?? I did witness a guy in Cabalas try to give the counter guy two guns to get out of the house!!! they did take em!

Top Bottom