• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Here is the story, this weekend I went got a new to me AR (my first), and a new to me 10/22. Seen here:

2cd30n.jpg

I took them tried them out, both work great.

Just like every other time I shoot I clean my guns. Well I am cleaning these, finish with no major problems. Well I am bored and cleaning guns is therapeutic. So I pull MY other guns out, clean them even though they didnt really need it. Then I pull out MY DADS 10/22. I have never shot it, I dont remember why I even have it.

I should have taken pictures. It was disgusting. Worse than all my guns combined. I call him and ask if he has ever cleaned it. Nope. This is very out of charater for him, he is usually Johnny on the spot cleaning his guns.

Is this a quasi legal reason for me to confiscate his other weapons for their own benefit? :rolleyes:

Just needed to vent.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Some people don't believe in cleaning their .22s. In fact the owners manual for my Marlin 60 states that cleaning is not needed unless the accuracy degrades.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Same thing happened with my dad. We were out shooting at his place one day when he brings out his 10/22 that "isn't worth a damn". Dad if you don't clean it occassionally at least lube the action!

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I dont clean my .22 everytime. But he has had this thing for 10 years, and we have put thousands of rounds through it. It started to jam all the effing time about 4 years ago. Now I know why, the 1/8th inch of crud in the entire gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My dad had several nice guns. Never cleaned them as he would not shoot them. Would not let me shoot them. We just gathered them all up this summer and sold them in a lot to offset his care in the facility. Most were new and in the box. None I would want for myself but still......

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I dont clean my .22 everytime. But he has had this thing for 10 years, and we have put thousands of rounds through it. It started to jam all the effing time about 4 years ago. Now I know why, the 1/8th inch of crud in the entire gun.

Yeah it's not a bad idea to clean them if they are even near that bad! :D

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You need to call GPS, (Gun Protective Services) immediately and report your father for abuse. It's for his own good. He can than get the help he needs so he can learn to properly care for those poor neglected firearms. :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't clean my guns (not a single one of them) unless #1 accuracy degrades, #2 performance degrades (cycling problems), or #3 I believe there may be an issue that could cause corrosion...

IMHO, those are the only 3 reasons why you would need to clean a gun... they're mechanical devices made to be used... I don't take my car's engine apart and clean it after every time I drive it so why would I do the same to a gun? I only take them apart when they no longer perform as they. they no longer function as they should, or I believe that not doing so will cause permanent damage (talking about car engines and guns alike)

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    For me if I shoot lead 22 out I clean it after every use,otherwise about every 500 or so rounds for 22.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I don't clean my guns (not a single one of them) unless #1 accuracy degrades, #2 performance degrades (cycling problems), or #3 I believe there may be an issue that could cause corrosion...

IMHO, those are the only 3 reasons why you would need to clean a gun... they're mechanical devices made to be used... I don't take my car's engine apart and clean it after every time I drive it so why would I do the same to a gun? I only take them apart when they no longer perform as they. they no longer function as they should, or I believe that not doing so will cause permanent damage (talking about car engines and guns alike)

I'm pretty much the same way. If it is utilitarian, and something I won't ever sell, I don't bother. If I think I might want to sell it, I take better care of it because I don't want to have to clean 500 rounds of filth off of it before selling. Oh, and I try to keep my carry gun fairly clean for obvious reasons.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I have a stainless 10/22 got it for christmas when I was 8 or so and Ive shot brick after brick of ammo thru it probably at least 10,000 rounds and thats a fairly low ball estimate and that thing never jammed at all. Just recently cleaned it out of curiosty to see how dirty it was and it was caked in powder residue but it cleaned up fine ready for another 10,000 :D

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I put off cleaning the internals on one of my 10/22s for awhile and it wouldnt go boom everytime. Cleaned it up properly and guess what it worked ;-)... Made me realize the shiny pretty bore and exterior werent the only important parts...lol... I am typically really OCD about cleaning but the 10/22 just kinda escaped me for aome reason.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    My Dad was always very conscientious with his guns. As his dementia developed, he started slacking off on some of his most basic rituals. Guns didn't get cleaned as often (or as well). Ammo boxes started showing up in the strangest rooms of the house (nothing says good morning like a box of Silver Bear HP next to the toothpaste). I finally understood how bad things were really getting when we went out to the range and he started walking up and down the line with a loaded pistol. That was the last range trip we ever made together...not long after that, my mother had my brother-in-law remove the guns from the house. About a month later he went to the nursing home.

OP may or may not have been serious, but "forgetting" to do importantly routine things like that could be the sign of something more.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    Got to reading my MArlin Model 60 booklet and it says that with how much cleaner ammo is these days it doesnt need taken apart. I still do it after every 1000 rounds through it though. Always wipe all my guns down after every time I use them.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My Dad is getting on in years. When we go to the range, I have to hover over him to ensure he keeps the muzzle pointed down-range. When he shoots bolt action rifles, he insists on picking up the rifle and manipulating the bolt, with the rifle pointed straight up. Don't know how many times he has whacked his thumb with the slide of a semi-auto pistol. I help Dad shoot first. Then, when he takes a rest, I get some range time in. I try to take him shooting on days/times when no one else will be on the range. Every trip is an adventure.

Top Bottom