• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Okay, I've seen all sides here on INGO. And I'll admit I was firmly in the "snob" category when it came to my handguns. NO WAY I'd own a Taurus. NO WAY.

After two years of downturn at work, finances for a new carry gun (after going, *gasp* two weeks without ANY, selling what I'd had to make ends meet), were lacking. Recent events around here made my not having one weigh pretty heavily on my mind, though.

So, time to roll the dice, so to speak, on a gun from below my (perceived) quality/reliability threshold: Taurus.

Enter the $309 OTD Taurus 85 in full stainless steel:

8AF3F96B-5CD6-4159-A878-AADFB2598843.jpg

I'd had a brief encounter with the 85 model way back in the early 90's. What I could remember of it was fairly favorable, and, I figured, if they've been basically making this gun for 40-ish years, it was probably a pretty safe choice. Probably. Lifetime warranty, right?

Still, this thing felt good, had a trigger at least as good as the Airweight J frames I've had in recent years, and, with full stainless construction, eased my mind about Taurus and their "latest, greatest" mentality that seems to prove a problem for them so many times. Innovations aplenty from Taurus, but many don't seem to work. Figured sticking with a bread and butter staple whose tech has been long worked out was the least risky move.

And, INGO, I've been VERY pleasantly surprised.

Is the machining top-notch? Nope. The cylinder could've had a bit more attention to detail, for instance:

1E1098A4-2319-49C0-BD27-05B53755CB79.jpg

And a little more care in finishing or handling the frame behind the barrel would've been nice:

0BF12984-F580-4316-B98C-06FC5E80B868.jpg

But hey, $309 out the door!

And, dagnabit, they put a good grip on the thing for my little hands:

3C02A12F-6BF0-4F62-AD2A-8ADF22AF50C1.jpg

Okay, how does it shoot, right?

Here's where I let you down, INGO (again?!?). No pics of the target. But, took it out this afternoon, and decided to approximate as best I could a real-use application. Acquired sight picture then fired as fast as I could.

All shots hovered around the center in a group under the size of my clenched fist at 7 yards.

The rest of the rounds I fired today were much the same. My skills weren't up to par today in the chilly wind for my sought-after sub 1" group focus drill at 7 yards, but okay.

Gun snob no more.

Well, not completely. No Hi-Points.

Probably.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The 85 is a good budget revolver. I think they have way better triggers than Smith or Ruger and I own all three. Good price for sure.

Yep, I pocket carry a 1996 Model 85 as my summertime carry. Get good groups with it at 7-10 yards and it always goes bang when I pull the trigger.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When doing security years ago an 85 was my backup piece. I ultimately sold it to help fund another purchase but I never regreted owning it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Okay, I've seen all sides here on INGO. And I'll admit I was firmly in the "snob" category when it came to my handguns. NO WAY I'd own a Taurus. NO WAY.

After two years of downturn at work, finances for a new carry gun (after going, *gasp* two weeks without ANY, selling what I'd had to make ends meet), were lacking. Recent events around here made my not having one weigh pretty heavily on my mind, though.

So, time to roll the dice, so to speak, on a gun from below my (perceived) quality/reliability threshold: Taurus.

Enter the $309 OTD Taurus 85 in full stainless steel:

I once said, I would never own a .38 ...... NEVER, say never .....

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The 85's I've been around, all of them can have greatly improved triggers with a little polish work on the contact points and the frame where they all rub.
    I've seen some really rough parts inside that side plate.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    While I haven't been inside of any Taurus revolvers currently being produced back in the 80s and 90s I did smithing work for a dealer who sold new Colt, Springfield, Ruger, Beretta, S&W and Taurus guns. My job was all repair work and any custom stuff customers wanted. The Taurus guns of that period were rough inside compared to a S&W but they were much more affordable for a lot of people. I saw some rough Taurus revolvers but none of needed much work to slick them up. None of them ever came back to our shop needing repairs. Taurus just didn't spend any time de burring or polishing any parts but the guns would run. I slicked up a 3 in. .357 for the owner's wife and everybody at the range LOVED that gun ( so did I). She stills carries it to this day and will never sell it.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I like the automatics for the round capacity but I like the price point on this pistol. I will have to look further into this one. I have always been a fan of revolvers as it was my first pistol. I like them for their compactness and ability to conceal.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I owned a Taurus 851 and loved it before i gave it to my brother for christmas. The 851 has a shrouded hammer for snagless carry but still able to cock the hammer. The gun was accurate and the trigger was not bad at all after initial break in. I just left it cocked for a couple days to set the hammer spring. The trigger was no where near as smooth as my friends S&W model 19-2 but damn was it predictable.

I challenged my cousin with his Ruger SR9C to a little friendly match. Set 5 clay pigeons at 5 yards and first to shoot there 2 then the middle one out wins. I beat him 4-5 times with the 5 shooter double action only. With practice they will shoot just fine.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

My experience with Taurus is that they make good copies of proven designs (S&W revolvers, 1911s, and the Beretta 92), however they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to guns they designed in house. The PT111 was the single most problematic gun that I have ever owned.

Haxy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2015
    Laporte
    My first handgun was a blued short barrel judge. I actually lost it in a small lake near here when I got pushed into the lake and after a week of about an hour a day worth of searchin in deep mud. I found it. Cleaned her up took the little surface rust off the barrel and was 100%. Sold her two years later.

Top Bottom