• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    I was wondering whether any one here has any suggestions for a holster that would allow for concealed carry of a glock 27 on a thin framed individual. I did a few searches on the forums and was not able to find any threads that covered holsters specifically for thin framed people. I have no experience with CC, so I do not know whether I want pocket, IWB, shoulder, back, front etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Almost any hand gun will conceal. Mostly depends on if you dress for fashion or for concealment. My EDC is a G 19 that I carry OWB with a double mag holder on the opposite side. I don't OC or CC, kind of a combination. The cold weather is great for concealment, but even in the summer they aren't especially hard to hide. A lite sports jacket over a collared shirt with jeans does wonders.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have an archangel I use to appendix carry and it makes the guns disappear. You could buy other brands of course but I would recommend this, it's great for skinny guys. You could carry a gun much larger than a 27 this way it works so well. Some guys however tend to find it uncomfortable but the skinnier a guy is the more he usually finds it to work well. I am not skinny however and I really like it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A tuckable holster like a Comptac, Crossbreed, etc can help keep the gun as close to your body as possible, as it is both inside the waist band, and also usually has a fairly wide attachment point to the belt, that allows it to contour to your body a bit better. if you do tuck in your shirt and it is a thin or light shirt, it will still probably print.

I'm relatively thin at 6'1 185 w/ a typical thin athletic build. I find that I can conceal pretty well with heavier shirts, dress shirts etc. In the summer I usually go with an untucked t-shirt or button down. It can be done, but does take a little more work than someone with a bit larger frame. Wide shoulders helps too as it allows the shirt to hang a bit loser from the body.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Carried almost everything imaginable, winter or summer, from a 'pocket 9' to a 'more-than-full size' auto (FNP-45) and revolver (S&W 629) at some time or other.

However, after 4 decades of carrying, wardrobe (whether jeans & shirt, or tuxedo) selection is based on the fact that a firearm is part of that wardrobe. Holster selection, jacket size, etc. are always made knowing that a firearm is carried at (god forbid) may need to be engaged. Concealment is always judged in a mirror and / or by the Lady (who obviously knows I'm wearing a firearm).

JMO (and some disagree with 'dressing around a gun', as is their choice), but some thoughtful consideration about what to wear will allow even the largest handguns (and extra mags or speedloaders) to be carried virtually unnoticed. Even been told by the 'scrutinizing cynic' that there was 'NO way I could carry a 8.375" S&W Mdl. 29 under a lightweight jacket and not be immediately 'busted'!'.

That is, until I opened said jacket, LOL...

Really, it's not so much 'what' you carry as 'how' you carry. That includes demeanor, choices in being seated in a restaurant, bending 'properly', and so forth.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Carried almost everything imaginable, winter or summer, from a 'pocket 9' to a 'more-than-full size' auto (FNP-45) and revolver (S&W 629) at some time or other.

However, after 4 decades of carrying, wardrobe (whether jeans & shirt, or tuxedo) selection is based on the fact that a firearm is part of that wardrobe. Holster selection, jacket size, etc. are always made knowing that a firearm is carried at (god forbid) may need to be engaged. Concealment is always judged in a mirror and / or by the Lady (who obviously knows I'm wearing a firearm).

JMO (and some disagree with 'dressing around a gun', as is their choice), but some thoughtful consideration about what to wear will allow even the largest handguns (and extra mags or speedloaders) to be carried virtually unnoticed. Even been told by the 'scrutinizing cynic' that there was 'NO way I could carry a 8.375" S&W Mdl. 29 under a lightweight jacket and not be immediately 'busted'!'.

That is, until I opened said jacket, LOL...

Really, it's not so much 'what' you carry as 'how' you carry. That includes demeanor, choices in being seated in a restaurant, bending 'properly', and so forth.

Good point. The flip side is guys like us that carry all the time are able to spot the tell tale signs. Like extra clips (not extra mags, but the clips that support the holster) on the belt, slightly out of proportion waist line where the gun is, slight printing, etc. But that's not a bad thing. I like knowing that others around me are carrying. I have a pretty good feeling they aren't out to do harm, but are rather ready to respond if a really bad situation unfolds.

its the really sloppy ones you have to worry about. Either a gun falling out and ND'ing, or that are not accustomed to carrying and are so obvious and uncomfortable they just might be up to now good.

I've been outted a few times that were memorable.

* My wife was in the hospital for a minor sinus surgery. In the recovery room I was helping her get to her feat as the anesthesia wore off. The nurse (a petite older lady probably in her 60's) came to help and put her hand on my waist as if to show me how to help support her mostly dead weight. She of course put it right on my gun, and said, "are you packing?" I was startled, but knew exactly here question, and said "yes ma'am." Her next questions were obvious: are you a cop, military, etc. My response (which is well rehearsed) was "No, just a prepared citizen." She replied "Good for you, I was in the army many years ago, and I'm glad to see younger folks prepared to defend their families." We go along really good the rest of the time we were in the hospital.

* At church, where a family friend came up to give me a hug, and her arms slid down my sides to my waist like can often happened. She had that shocked "Is that a gun" look and then whispered to me that very question. I said "yes it is." She said "good, glad there is at least one here at church."

* At church again, where a buddy of mine that likes to shoot intentionally patted me down. It was kind of awkward as he already knew I was carrying, so the move towards my gun made me a little tense.

My point is that we go to great lengths to do our best to conceal, so as not to draw extra attention to ourselves (not trying to start a CC/OC debate). But when we are outed it isn't always the end of the world. Sometimes you meat some really cool people and fellow gun owners.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I am 5'6" 130lbs and I carry a 1911 everyday.

If you are thin framed than nothing will conceal better than a single stack pistol. I now carry my 1911 in an Alien Gear 2.0 IWB holster. There is no need for any concealment garments or large shirts to hide this full size service pistol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 22
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 15

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm 6'2" and 140. I've heard all the skinny jokes by now.
    I find IWB holsters uncomfortable with exception to softsided holsters which I do not prefer.
    Appendix carry is by far the most comfortable, but not for everyone except maybe Kirk Freeman :) .
    I typically carry my M&P9c OWB 3-4 oclock in a comptac kydex holster, and wear a long shirt or sweatshirt to conceal it.

ETA: the main issue with discomfort is the pressing against my hip bone.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm 5'10", and at race weight, I'm 125lbs. I'm as thin as you'll find.

I carry a Walther PPQ (it's a full size handgun) in a JM kydex model 2 IWB at 4:00, and don't print much in a loose fitting t-shirt or button up. It's really an awesome holster and keeps the gun tucked up against you very well. Works much better than anything else I've tried (including leather/kydex hybrids from white hat, some good leather holsters, and a slew of kydex including the comp-tac). In my opinion, JM kydex holsters are the best kydex holsters out there.....if you like kydex that is.

I also carry a ppq in an Alabama kydex front pocket holster when I'm not carrying my PPQ.

Whatever firearm you get, just make sure to try out some good holsters and figure out what works best for you. A good holster is really going to make all of the difference. And what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for you. You'll have to find what you like and what works for you. Start with some of the good suggestions here, and then figure it out from there.

Last edited:

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Wow! Some really great advice here. I will buy a few holsters, and give them a try in different positions. I will report back and hopefully post pic. I would lpve to get some feedback from you all.

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    As a followup question, anybody familiar with a safe, indy area range that allows drawing from a holster? Not sure there is too use carrying if I can't train.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Parabellum will let you draw I believe. They just ask that you lower the shelf and not rush the draw for safety. Its OK as long as you arent racing the clock.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As far as thin framed goes, take pages out of any magazine that has holster ads, get a bunch of different ones, arrange them into a dart board sort of configuration, close your eyes, and throw a dart! Whatever holster you stick, buy it! It's us "healthier folk" that need to shop carefully!

Top Bottom