• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't know if this has been brought up before in quite this way. For those of you who do carry concealed, how do you carry and why do you carry in that particular fashion (not why do you carry concealed)?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I prefer an OWB kydex paddle holster. I don't like IWB mostly because of how it fits inside my pants. I plan on getting a Raven holster because it fits very close to the body

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a Supertuck for my XD for concealed carry days. It sits at about 3-4 O'clock. I like it since it is tuckable, and when I switch to the velcro "clips" for my velcro-backed belt, it is nearly invisible.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    owb leather holster, slightly in front of the hip
    I like it snug and close, in front of the hip feels comfortable even when sitting.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    IWB 4 o'clock. I prefer the crossbreed type holsters. They're comfortable, and when needed they're tuckable.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have an IWB Crossbreed Minituck in leather & kydex, and after only a couple of days breakin it stopped begging for attention. It's like a baseball mitt, just have to find that magic spot and break it in a little. Mine's at about 8:00, ymmv.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    P250 SC in a crossbreed supertuck at about 4oclock.

I'm a skinny guy (6' and 150#) and 4:00 is the best compromise for me between draw-ability, concealment, and comfort. My carry just disappears anywhere further back of 4:00. I can wear a tshirt and not print in daily activity.

Sometimes when on a film set I carry a p22 in my cargo shorts in an uncle mike's pocket holster. A lot of the time, operating camera requires a lot of contortion and anything on my waist will print through no matter what.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm seeing a lot of responses that say where you carry. Anyone want to explain why they carry where they do?

Like "why at 3-4 O'clock"?

That's where it is most comfortable. Doesn't get in my way, I don't bang into things, doesn't interfere with the seatbelt in the car, and I can still get to it fairly well. Any farther forward and the barrel digs into my leg when I sit. Any farther back and I'm sitting on it. I can still reach it with my off hand in a pinch, too.

I've never tried appendix carry. Shoulder holsters don't fit with my wardrobe. Ankle carry just seems odd to me (maybe for a BUG it would work). Small of back might work, but you pretty much have to sweep yourself when drawing. I'm a righty, so anything from 6 O'clock through 12 O'clock doesn't work.

I've tried adjusting my holster to carry "deep" and "high". For CC, I tend to prefer "deep" (the grip almost in the waistband) for the most concealability. When I OC, I like it to ride much higher.

Now that I'm thinking so much about this, I also have a bit of a "cant" to the holster, rather than having the gun straight up. Helps a bit with how it conceals, but also lets me get a good grip when drawing. My OC holster has a bit of a cant as well.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I usually carry a Glock 19. But have been carrying my Glock 26 since its been wicked hot out.

I either use a Comp-TAC MTAC IWB holster. It's alway just past my right hip a bit.
    When I use a RAVEN Concealment OWB holster, it's always just past my right hip.

I always carry at the same position. I don't switch it up.

I find that it's more comfortable for me to carry at those positions. And I can conceal it better that way.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I asked the question because I saw a guy riding a "kamikaze rocket" yesterday in gym shorts and a t-shirt and he appeared to be carrying a firearm in a behind-the-back holster. I've seen a few folks carry that way, and it seems to be a fairly common sight on television characters, but I don't know many serious armed citizens who carry that way.

I don't typically carry openly except when I'm outside around the house, and I've experimented with all sorts of concealed carry options. I discovered a long time ago that I like IWB kydex holsters with either J-hooks or belt loops; I don't particularly care for the over-the-belt style clips, although I have a holster which has that type of attachment which I'm wearing as I write this. I've tried appendix carry foreward, but even with a G27 it's too uncomfortable when I'm sitting down, especially in a vehicle. I've also had to consider the ways in which I might have to contort myself to get to my pistol with my off-hand, should my strong hand be disabled for some reason. I've considered cross-draw holsters a couple times, but I carry an IWB holster set which carries a pocket knife, a pocket tool, and a flashlight on my other side, so I haven't really put any effort into seeing how that works. I tend to wear my holsters just behind my hip, although at times it's more comfortable to wear it just in front of my hip.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's where it is because it's a good draw position, comfortable, doesn't draw attention to itself, just works out for me.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I carry my gun (Glock 19 or CZ-75) in a Galco Combat Master 15-degree cant OWB holster at the 4 O'clock position, this position I find is the best compromise between concealment and draw speed. I usually wear a t-shirt with an unbuttoned over shirt covering it. To me this set up is the best of both worlds, you have the comfort and quicker draw of an OWB holster but you firearm is still concealed.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I don't understand why you guys CC. You think there's this magical "element of surprise" or something? What real reason is there to conceal?

Seriously, I don't care one way or another. It's just that us OCers get attacked by CCers who know better than us. Thought I'd let you guys know how that feels. I personally OC. I can't really add to the thread, other than I carry a PF9 in my left front pocket as a BUG.

Top Bottom