• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I currently carry a full size Springfield Armory 1911, and it's great. However, I want something a little more concealable for summer. Of course, everyone's first response is going to be to get a compact 1911, and I am up for that, however, I am also wondering how bad the recoil is in these smaller 1911's. I want something that's going to be very lightweight, but also that I can take to the range and feel comfortable practicing with it. I have considered getting a compact 1911 in 9mm, but have heard there are some issues with those feeding correctly? So give me reviews on your compact 1911, and I would especially like to hear about your experience if you have a 1911 in 9mm. Also, I'm not looking to go extra expensive like a Kimber or a Wilson Combat, anything more than a thousand bucks is probably going to be out of my price range, at least until I get rich. :D lol

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    One of my buddies has a sprinfield micro compact and its a sweaty to shoot. Im not to sensitive to recoil though it kicks less than my other buddies glock 23 in 40 so i wouldnt be to scared to shrink your 1911 to a compact or even a micro. His compact is a 45

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you are looking for a small, compact 9mm, I gotta say I absolutely LOVED the Glock 26 I borrowed for a day. I mean, really really loved it. It was accurate, comfortable to shoot, fun to shoot, and very easy carrying.

Don't tell anyone I said that. I'll deny it to the death!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I just realized I did what all the fanboys do, and told you to check out Glock when you asked about 9mm 1911s LOL.

Sorry.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I just realized I did what all the fanboys do, and told you to check out Glock when you asked about 9mm 1911s LOL.

Sorry.

Haha it's cool, I am open to buying outside of the 1911 platform, but would like to try and stay in it because of the fact that I'm familiar with it, as well as the fact that I don't have to get a different holster for it. Also, ammo and magazine interchangeability would be nice, but lately I've just been itching for a 9mm. :D Imagine that, I just got this gun and I'm already itching for another one... Darn you INGO....

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I had a charles Daly ECS IIRC. The recoil was at least for me a little harsh but not enough to where it was painful. I just didnt like the .45 in such a compact package but a full size 1911 recoil is comfortable for me.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Have you looked into the ruger sr9 compact i havent shot one but they feel good. I have an fnp 9 and LOVE it holds 16 and fits my in the pants holster no problems and it is accurate and eats everything i put in it.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Have you looked into the ruger sr9 compact i havent shot one but they feel good. I have an fnp 9 and LOVE it holds 16 and fits my in the pants holster no problems and it is accurate and eats everything i put in it.

I have looked at the SR9c, but not the fnp. I really liked the ruger, but good ol' nostalgia persuaded me to get the 1911 first, and I am in love with it now.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    My summer carry consists of an alloy frame 1911 in .45 ACP (Kimber Ultra CDP). This is the 3" gun and once I switched to the Tripp Cobra Mags it has been 100% reliable. The recoil isn't that bad but if you are going to fire several hundred rounds through it on a range trip you will know it. It's hard to find a good small lightweight carry gun that doubles as a range gun. Most people prefer a full size steel 1911 for the range but as you have found it is heavy and harder to conceal in lightweight clothing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is your carry platform now?

Perhaps you should invest in a proper holster and belt rather than switch guns.

I carry a steel 1911 year around (Les Baer). Quality belt and holster make an impact.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

I carry a steel 1911 year around (Les Baer). Quality belt and holster make an impact.

I have a good belt, and a decent holster, but the holster won't fit on the belt. :n00b: So I am wanting something new in the holster department, but I haven't particularly decided what yet. What is your setup? I prefer owb. Also, I did get the belt before I even had this gun, so I didn't know it wouldn't fit this holster.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010

I think there's a lot of merit to this suggestion, above. But to the OP, it's going to be difficult concealing a full-size 1911 in an OWB holster (with that 5" barrel/slide poking into view and the grip, relatively far from your body, printing).

I'm very happy with this set up for my full-size 1911: Wilson Combat 1 1/2" leather belt threaded through a Galco RG212 IWB holster. I can CC that rig @ five-o'clock on my body, under a medium-weight t-shirt; certainly under a sweater or light jacket.

It will obviously be cheaper to experiment with an IWB set up for your current 1911 than to contemplate a new gun (1911, or otherwise). But bear in mind, my suggestions tend to be predicated on the fact that I am poor, and of necessity, practical. :)

flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have a Springfield Armory Loaded Ultra Compact .45, all stainless, night sights, 3.5 inch barrel. Gun is awesome, low recoil, compact and it can be had for under $800.

I also want a 9mm 1911, the EMP by Springfield but is kinda pricey.

I have a Glock 26, 9mm. Very nice shooting little gun with good mag capacity, but it is kinda wide (thick ) for concealed carry.

I have my eye on the Kahr PM 9 series, very compact 9 mm. Its not the cheapest and its a DA trigger, but built well and very compact. You may wanna give them a look.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I went to lightweight commander sized 1911, alloy frame 4.25 inch barrel. When that is too big, or it is just too hot outside, I carried a Kel-tec PF9 9mm this summer. It worked extremely well for me, I am not the type that can carry OWB and feel that it is effectively concealed under less than a coat.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    S&W M&P 9mm

Get it either in the fullsize or the compact.

Lightweight, slim, high capacity, and easy to shoot!

DEFINITELY my favorite pistol to carry these days!

Vanguard.45

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I think there's a lot of merit to this suggestion, above. But to the OP, it's going to be difficult concealing a full-size 1911 in an OWB holster (with that 5" barrel/slide poking into view and the grip, relatively far from your body, printing).

I'm very happy with this set up for my full-size 1911: Wilson Combat 1 1/2" leather belt threaded through a Galco RG212 IWB holster. I can CC that rig @ five-o'clock on my body, under a medium-weight t-shirt; certainly under a sweater or light jacket.

It will obviously be cheaper to experiment with an IWB set up for your current 1911 than to contemplate a new gun (1911, or otherwise). But bear in mind, my suggestions tend to be predicated on the fact that I am poor, and of necessity, practical. :)

I may look into that, but IWB always seems to restrict me from sitting down without looking like I have a broken back. Granted, that is the cheaper option, so I may look into it eventually.

Top Bottom